News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

The Health and/or Diet Thread

Started by Sandra Craft, January 21, 2012, 08:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Oh my gosh Velma.  That's a lot to take in.  How are you feeling?

Velma

Not too badly right now, although I do have times where I hurt a lot.  Apparently they are still both in the fairly early stages (but appear to be progressing rather fast) and the treatment goal is to slow the damage as much as possible.  The Celebrex has really helped with my morning pain and stiffness.  It will be about six weeks, maybe more, before we know for sure how much the methrotrexate is helping.  I'll have to get regular bloodwork to check my blood counts and liver and kidney function.  Arthritis really sucks, but people do live with this every day and I'll figure out how to do it also.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Ali

Well I'm glad to hear that it is manageable and you have a solid treatment plan in place.  Do you take Glucosamine?  I have read different things that suggest that it might not be all that effective, but my dad has arthritis in his hands (he's a guitar player, so that is particularly cruel) and he swears by it.

Velma

I've not tried it.  I know there is some evidence that it might help, but it's not all that conclusive one way or the other.  Fish oil is also supposed to help with autoimmune diseases (like rheumatoid arthritis), although it is mostly touted to help cardiovascular disease.  There are a lot of claims out there and I'll have to try to wade through them.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

The Magic Pudding

I was thinking about mould, Enroute someone mentioned eating it in jest as people do suggesting they'll get a antibiotic benefit.  There is an interesting history to the development on penicillin.  

This link seems to have quoted the bible and replaced "plague of leprosy" with "mildew" because they are in the business of mould control.  I'm sure god will smite 'em for that.

I experience what I assume is the usual visceral dislike for musty air.  People do blame mould for ill health, I'm not sure if they do so more or less so than is appropriate.

Ali

Leprosy, mildew, same diff.   :D

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 29, 2012, 06:07:37 AM
I was thinking about mould, Enroute mentioned eating it in jest as people do suggesting they'll get a antibiotic benefit.  There is an interesting history to the development on penicillin

This link seems to have quoted the bible and replaced "plague of leprosy" with "mildew" because they are in the business of mould control.  I'm sure god will smite 'em for that.

I experience what I assume is the usual visceral dislike for musty air.  People do blame mould for ill health, I'm not sure if they do so more or less so than is appropriate.

I fear you have misattributed that particularly drollery, author thereof being EB rather than my notoriously saturnine and levity- eschewing self.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on July 29, 2012, 03:44:47 PM
I fear you have misattributed that particularly drollery, author thereof being EB rather than my notoriously saturnine and levity- eschewing self.

Sorry, I offer a jelly baby in penance. 

En_Route

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 30, 2012, 02:19:57 AM
Quote from: En_Route on July 29, 2012, 03:44:47 PM

Sorry, I offer a jelly baby in penance. 

I doubt you shall escape so lightly for slighting a servant of the Lord. I imagine a plague of locusts are  even now winging their way towards your suburban homestead.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: En_Route on August 01, 2012, 05:09:40 PM
I doubt you shall escape so lightly for slighting a servant of the Lord. I imagine a plague of locusts are  even now winging their way towards your suburban homestead.

Cool, next time I err I will be able to offer fried or chocolate coated locusts.  Ah but this is the health thread, there will be an unsalted raw locust option.

Ali

I only eat organic free range locust.

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on August 03, 2012, 08:49:15 PM
I only eat organic free range locust.

Puh-leeze, everybody knows roaches are where it's at.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Crow

The UN and EU are really trying to push micro farming. The Dutch government seem to be leading the way with this. Personally I'm all for eating bugs as the current model is unsustainable.
Retired member.

OldGit

Once people get into serious bug-ranching, they're going to have to find stuff for the bugs to eat.  :P

Crow

I'm interested how many people are actually overweight? I mean medically overweight, and if so why and when did it happen?
Retired member.