News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I don't think we have a thread like this at HAF. I think it would be nice to see some physical objects like works of art, furniture, cars, etc., that we love, similar to the Music That Moves You thread. As a dyed in the wool materialist, I have a very strong physical response to some beautiful objects: I feel it as a weakening of the knees and butterflies in the stomach; sometimes it is so strong that tears well up in my eyes.

Here are three examples.

A Lalique car mascot.

More at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2268415/Incredible-collection-glass-mascots-displayed-car-bonnets-1920s-France-set-raise-100-000-auction.html

Ceramics by Hans Coper. One of my very favourite ceramic artists.

The Tizio lamp by Richard Sapper, designed in 1972. I just finished restoring one of the original ones that was dropped, and it is now as good as new. I will probably use it as a bedside lamp.

If there is a good response to these, I will post some more objects that move me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Amongst my favourites are art deco figures, the detail, grace and energy of these is beautiful

Then almost anything by Rennie Macintosh

And, just to be a bit different, something that simply fascinates me

That is a simple example of the 'visionary' Richard Buckminster Fuller's concept of 'Tensegrity', a 3D structure whose integrity relies on tension (and compression). There are far more complex structures but this, similar to the one I own, shows the principle.

There's a lot more . . .

And I thought I would add Japanese carving, especially the fun often expressed in netsuke

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 04, 2018, 08:55:20 AM
Amongst my favourites are art deco figures, the detail, grace and energy of these is beautiful

Then almost anything by Rennie Macintosh

And, just to be a bit different, something that simply fascinates me

That is a simple example of the 'visionary' Richard Buckminster Fuller's concept of 'Tensegrity', a 3D structure whose integrity relies on tension (and compression). There are far more complex structures but this, similar to the one I own, shows the principle.

There's a lot more . . .

I also love Mackintosh. Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to see anything by him when I visited Glasgow.

That figure is beautiful; I'm pretty sure it is by Erté and worth a fortune. I am always on the lookout for one of his pieces at antique shops, hoping they would not know the value. That happened to me some years ago when I found a large signed Lalique vase for about £15. I was subsequently offered £6000 for it, which I refused.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

This example may not actualky be from the period, it is available on Amaxon but is still a good example of the style.

It is actually within my price range for utter mad money!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 04, 2018, 09:19:28 AM
This example may not actualky be from the period, it is available on Amaxon but is still a good example of the style.

It is actually within my price range for utter mad money!

Maybe not by Erté, but Chiparus is still a good buy I think. You only live once!

I had a good dealer in Johannesburg who always alerted me to Lalique pieces. I managed to buy quite a few over the years, and although they were "mad" purchases at the time, I have never regretted any of them. I made an early decision to collect Lalique and not Gallé, which was just a matter of preference. Probably a good thing, because original Lalique pieces have increased hugely in value and currently fetch insane prices at auction.
― Charles Eames

Tank

FE 100-400mm G Master super-telephoto zoom lens
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

I went to some friends for dinner, which included a tossed salad. I was standing talking to my hostess in the kitchen as she tossed the salad, with stainless steel tools, in a large, heavy, very "sculptural" glass bowl. After the meal I helped wash up and got a close look at the bowl,

Yes, it was marked Lalique!  It was also heavily scored inside, it had been the family salad/fruit bowl from when Carol was a small kid . . .

Asmodean

I want a 1999-ish Opel Omega sedan in good condition to have as my "hobby wheels"

It was the first car I owned, which I was sad to let go when its time came. The crap I had before it was merely adequate. My Omega, however, I liked. I know it was a sponge cake, even with a relatively big engine, but... It was a tasty sponge cake.

So, call it nostalgia, I suppose, but I do want one for good-weather motorway cruising.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

"Sponge cake" . . . Interesting if it refers to the shape, we used to call that "rounded" style "jelly mould".

No one

Asmodean

Quote from: Dave on April 04, 2018, 10:09:08 AM
"Sponge cake" . . . Interesting if it refers to the shape, we used to call that "rounded" style "jelly mould".
Suspension, actually  :P Jelly works too. I suspect it may have something to do with it being developed to also be a Cadillac.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 04, 2018, 10:00:01 AM
I went to some friends for dinner, which included a tossed salad. I was standing talking to my hostess in the kitchen as she tossed the salad, with stainless steel tools, in a large, heavy, very "sculptural" glass bowl. After the meal I helped wash up and got a close look at the bowl,

Yes, it was marked Lalique!  It was also heavily scored inside, it had been the family salad/fruit bowl from when Carol was a small kid . . .

If the bowl had the old man's signature, it would be worth a lot today. As much as I like the originals, I would not buy any modern Lalique. I now prefer Kosta Boda, IItala, and Orrefors pieces.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: Asmodean on April 04, 2018, 10:00:11 AM
I want a 1999-ish Opel Omega sedan in good condition to have as my "hobby wheels"

It was the first car I owned, which I was sad to let go when its time came. The crap I had before it was merely adequate. My Omega, however, I liked. I know it was a sponge cake, even with a relatively big engine, but... It was a tasty sponge cake.

So, call it nostalgia, I suppose, but I do want one for good-weather motorway cruising.

I am not much into cars, but that one is very nice. This is one is one of those "mad" purchases: not very practical, but nice in summer with the top down.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Asmodean

Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 04, 2018, 02:37:19 PM
How are you sinners ever going to get to heaven, burdened as you are with all this shit?
Mine has wheels and an engine... Duuh!  ;)

Hermes will be OK too, I think. We can race, have an accident... Go through the Gates™ in a rolling fireball of total automotive carnage.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.