News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

do you view religion as a 'crutch'?

Started by Asmodean Prime, July 11, 2006, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean Prime

firstly, JASSMAN, 'why does he need to kill'

as far as 'need to kill' is concerned, i dont know, all i know is that death is a fact, people die, good people, bad people. this is the point i was trying to make when i said that we should be humble regarding things we dont fully know about.

now, TWISTOFCAIN, this is not meant as a personal attack of any kind, believe me, but your signiture about not being humbled by God or man,

we all have been humbled, and all will, at some point, i believe

there is always someone bigger than you out there, best not to get too 'arrogant' i think.  i speak more for myself than anybody else, so dont take this the wrong way,  remember the phrase 'pride comes before a fall'?

no harm intended, mate, just trying to give some (hopefully) useful advice, gleaned from my years on this planet

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"now, TWISTOFCAIN, this is not meant as a personal attack of any kind, believe me, but your signiture about not being humbled by God or man,

there is always someone bigger than you out there, best not to get too 'arrogant' i think.  i speak more for myself than anybody else, so dont take this the wrong way,  remember the phrase 'pride comes before a fall'?

no harm intended, mate, just trying to give some (hopefully) useful advice, gleaned from my years on this planet

Umm, is it just me, or is he taking that signature a teensy bit too seriously?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

McQ

Quote from: "Court"
Quote from: "onlyme"now, TWISTOFCAIN, this is not meant as a personal attack of any kind, believe me, but your signiture about not being humbled by God or man,

Is who taking what signature too seriously, Court?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Quote from: "Court"

You think? That's why I don't like dating Religious chicks, they're so damn uptight and don't get jokes. Not to mention they complain too much about drinking and smoking and sex.......a real downer.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean Prime

i stand corrected.  really, though, i dont mean to offend Twist, its just that I wouldnt use a signature like that myself.  i try to think of how i myself would operate, thats all.  i'm not so confident that i couldn't be humbled by man or God.  i get your point, though, about maybe taking it too seriously.  (its the signature of Twistofcain, by the way, McQ.)

by the way, Twist, i remember reading about Thoth a number of years ago.  is it true, as i remember, that you pronounce it te-hooti, and not how its written?

TwistOfCain

On the pronunciation: I'm not referring to the Egyptian god, but rather the wizard Thoth-Amon from R. E. Howard's Conan stories. So, it may be pronounced like it's written, or the other way. I prefer saying it how it's written; it's more authoritative-sounding.

Also, my ultimate objective in life is exactly what Thoth says: to achieve a level of being where no man can humble me. Ambitious? Yes. I already don't let gods humble me, so I'm halfway done.
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Asmodean Prime

ah, thanks for clarifying that, Twist.  

by the way, peeps, if any of you think that i have 'cut and run' from time to time, the reason that there are usually a few days between my bouts on line is that i work away from home, usually for a few days at a time, sometimes a couple of weeks, so i will try to get back to answer any of your postings whenever i get back.

Asmodean Prime

i think that most of the atrocities were carried out by both the catholic church and the templar knights.  i certainly dont agree with them.  as a christian, how can you help people if you kill them?  you are just consigning them to hell, with no chance to repent.  no, as the bible says, God is not willing for anybody to perish, but for all to come to repentence.  that is my belief.

Asmodean Prime

amor fati

this reminds me of a piece of graffiti i read about a few years ago that said

'God is dead' - nietzsche

and a few years later, underneath, was written:

'nietzsche is dead' - God

in my opinion, as i believe we will all see and realise, we are human, mortal, and God will outlive us all

Whitney

To clarify the Nietzsche quote.  Nietzsche didn't litterally mean that god had died.

Court

It makes me sad that you had to clarify that, Laetus. I would think it painfully obvious, but I was wrong. :)
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

McQ

Quote from: "laetusatheos"To clarify the Nietzsche quote.  Nietzsche didn't litterally mean that god had died.

Wait....you mean he's still alive?
 :lol:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean Prime

I was trying to show the fun side of the graffiti

But (and I know I'm showing my ignorance here), what did he mean by it exactly.  

OK....OK!  I throw up my hands and admit I've not read much about Nietzsche, never felt the urge, actually.....just heard of him in passing a few years ago when reading general stuff on this subject, most of which i've forgotten.

ps....what did he mean?

Jassman

Quote from: "onlyme"this reminds me of a piece of graffiti i read about a few years ago that said

'God is dead' - nietzsche

and a few years later, underneath, was written:

'nietzsche is dead' - God

I find that quite funny actually. I guess, really, they're both dead.

Quote from: "onlyme"ps....what did he mean?

Here's the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_is_dead
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised