Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

This is supposedly the oldest picture of Abraham Lincoln in existence. If it is an actual photograph of the former president he would have been 30 years old when taken.

It's known as the "The Kaplan Daguerreotype of Abraham Lincoln" and you can read about it here.

Apparently facial recognition software has confirmed this is Abe, anyway I thought it pretty cool.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on December 07, 2017, 04:09:49 PM
Quote from: Dave on December 03, 2017, 01:39:25 PM
Limited pattern choice - like all the same but different colurs.

All I care about is that they are warm but still practical!

As long as you don't leave the house with those slippers Dave...!

Went (in my car) to post a letter then visited "the little shop" wearing them.  My friend told me not to wear them to the supermarket . . . Hmm, if we get a dry day, wearing my "BAH HUM BUG" hat and my old (bought 1969) very bright red, very thick moutaineering duvet jacket . . . Or my super thick faux-fur lined, hooded wool jacket with a similar pattern . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

I went with my grandparents to a small town called Gramado in the Gaucho Highlands and took a few photos:

Hortensias (Black Lack Park):

Black Lake:

Christmas tree in the middle of the main road in Gramado:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

I like hydrangeas but, well, a town full of them?

Bit like an area near Woking where the first imported rhododendrons were cultivated and sold in the UK. Every hedge is a riot of colour for a short time, but gets a bit too much after a while. Elsewhere a stretch of newish motorway had banks with topsoil from another location - those became so vividly red with poppies it actually made driving a little hazardous in bright sunshine. (Poppies can lay dormant in undisturbed soil for 200 years or more, only to burst into bloom if the soil is disturbed - which is why the poppy is used as a symbol of war in the UK, the fields of France were covered in them after the WW1 entrenchments and artillery had stirred things up.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

:lol: Well, the entire town isn't full of them, and they draw in the tourists so I guess it isn't all that bad for the region...they've become an unofficial symbol of the place.

They're mostly located en route to the town along the long swirling road, in some parks and there are some isolated bunches in the residential areas.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on January 05, 2018, 07:39:07 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 05, 2018, 11:09:02 AM

Pretty.  :tellmemore:

Isn't it? I like flower balls. Could you call them "flower balls" without it sounding weird? :notsure:

Anyway, here are some pics of Ipês, trees from the Brazilian Savannah:

I like the white ones, from afar it looks like it's sprouting cotton!

During flowering season they lose their leaves and are left with only "flower balls".

Icarus

xSP you have posted some stunning photos. They do prompt me to want to visit Brazil.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on January 06, 2018, 11:15:00 PM
xSP you have posted some stunning photos. They do prompt me to want to visit Brazil.
:this:
Very nice, very colorful.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Those are beautiful photos. If you had submitted them to a "Trees" photo challenge, you would have won. I was in a local shopping mall with Lulu on my shoulder recently when a Brazilian couple stopped me to look at her, and they told me that Brazil has some very colourful indigenous parrots. They were nice people, as I am sure all Brazilians are.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on January 06, 2018, 11:15:00 PM

Brazil is many countries in one, in my perspective. There's something for everybody!  8)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 07, 2018, 03:09:23 AM
Those are beautiful photos. If you had submitted them to a "Trees" photo challenge, you would have won. I was in a local shopping mall with Lulu on my shoulder recently when a Brazilian couple stopped me to look at her, and they told me that Brazil has some very colourful indigenous parrots. They were nice people, as I am sure all Brazilians are.

The ipês are courtesy of google images, not my photos. I just picked what I thought were the best ones. :P

I guess the most famous indigenous parrot would be the Macaw, but yes, there are plenty others. Probably some regions are a bird watcher's dream place.