News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

New or unusual cooking techniques.

Started by Dave, August 11, 2018, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 06:40:28 PM
If you vacuum bag the chicken with the marinade and par cook it before a final sear you may get the result you want.

That's approaching sous-vide cooking, which is often used in by professional chefs.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 12, 2018, 06:53:49 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 06:40:28 PM
If you vacuum bag the chicken with the marinade and par cook it before a final sear you may get the result you want.

That's approaching sous-vide cooking, which is often used in by professional chefs.

@ JJ
Now that sounds interesting. I don't think it will increase the penetration but I like the idea of "cook in the bag" to retain alll the juices and flavours - without cooking it all the way through in fat in a frying pan. One variation for me is to cook in tge pan in some sort of marinade, just soy sauce, garlic granules and pepper if I am being lazy, then add a little olive oil towards the end and wind the heat up to give it colour. The sugars in the soy sauce  brown off nicely.

I have some heat proof bags, might try a few ideas.

@Hermes
I had heard of those devices, doubt that I will invest in one though. Given variations in the meat quality it seems the best way, keep as many constants in the equation as possible to get confident results. Hmm, I have a stainless steel K-type thermocouple probe, an industrial quality temperature controller and a 60A solid state switch somewhere. Wonder if I can get into the hob wiring . . . Needs a stirrer though.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

As to the tire inflator you could probably use either a battery charger or one of those mini jump packs that can be had rather cheaply. What's the amp draw on a 12v compressor?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 08:53:02 PM
As to the tire inflator you could probably use either a battery charger or one of those mini jump packs that can be had rather cheaply. What's the amp draw on a 12v compressor?
My ancient battey charger (a veteran of 40 years) drops right off when I connect the inflator to it. We tried to see if it would drive an airbrush. It does if you use it by the car to inflate a tyre then use that as a "portable air reservoir"!  I know someone with a decent foot pump if I can connect that safely to the pressure cooker - including guage and safety release valve etc.

The less free space, the more liquids and solids, in the cooker the easier to reach pressure and the less explosive.  We tested up to 4000psi at work, but with the smallest possible air volume. And in a strong tank full of water.

jumbojak

Depending on the pressure you're trying to reach a Mityvac could work well for you if you have the hand strength. I have one that came in a cooling system test kit that works fairly well. It's a small piston though so large volumes of air take a lot of pumps to pressurize. Some models can either pull vacuum or apply pressure.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 12, 2018, 09:35:23 PM
Depending on the pressure you're trying to reach a Mityvac could work well for you if you have the hand strength. I have one that came in a cooling system test kit that works fairly well. It's a small piston though so large volumes of air take a lot of pumps to pressurize. Some models can either pull vacuum or apply pressure.
The device I have is a variation on the same theme as the Mityvac. It's in that picture I posted of the setup , and I mentioned the numbersbof strokes needed. Guessing the cylinder stroke is about 25cc by how much water it sucks up a tube. It can also provide 3bar pressure but I would not want to take even a litre to that with it! My pressure cooker normally works at one bar, dunno what its ultimate safe limit is.

Dave

Just had a "re-use" idea that works!

I often cook corn-on-the-cob in a plastic bag in the microwave - steaming it. The bag then gets thrown away of course, it's a small, very thin food bag but still . . . Bags kill worms,  as I was told.

Sitting on the drainer was a plastic jar, with a plastic lid, that once had chocolste powder in it. I have three of theses but have recycled many more.
White, semi-translucent plastic they look like you could put LED lights in them, or store stuff in them in the freezer.

Then I thought, make a small hole in the lid, put the corn into it the jar with a teaspoonful of water, screw lid on and stick in microwave for 2 minutes. . . .
Works great, nice tender steamed corn.

No reason a glass jar with a plastic lid would not work, but you need to let it cool or use a towell opening it.

Icarus

As usual, Dave is an inventive individual.   Keep on thinking Dave.