News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No one

Harmonie

The beginning of Part 2 of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Such sweet, gorgeous, yet delightfully ominous dissonance. (Well, obviously the subject matter of the ballet is not so delightful, but that music)

I was fortunate enough to get play the whole piece on bassoon, I dream of getting to do it again with oboe and English horn.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Harmonie on November 20, 2017, 02:12:50 AM
The beginning of Part 2 of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Such sweet, gorgeous, yet delightfully ominous dissonance. (Well, obviously the subject matter of the ballet is not so delightful, but that music)

I was fortunate enough to get play the whole piece on bassoon, I dream of getting to do it again with oboe and English horn.

That piece, and Stravinsky as a whole always remind me of "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony"  ;D..."Kill De Rabbit"!

Anyway congratulation on getting to play Harmonie, that's very cool. 8)

In a slightly different vein the following young artist who goes by the name of "Alice Phoebe Lou" is also very cool, and I'm really enjoying her music...she's my new fav.

This song "She" is very, very cool indeed,... and I also like her rendition of Lou Reed's, "Walk on the Wild Side". I highly, highly recommend giving these a listen to, don't think you'll be disappointed!

"She"

"Walk on the wild side"

[/b]
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Harmonie

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 20, 2017, 01:51:47 PM
Quote from: Harmonie on November 20, 2017, 02:12:50 AM

That piece, and Stravinsky as a whole always remind me of "Bugs Bunny at the Symphony"  ;D..."Kill De Rabbit"!

Anyway congratulation on getting to play Harmonie, that's very cool. 8)

Lol. "Kill De Rabbit" is actually set to Wagner, Ride of the Valkyries. I'm not super familiar with the opera/set of operas it comes from (The Ring), but I'm pretty sure the episode you linked to is all about that opera cycle, as Bugs Bunny is referred to as "Brunehilda" and that's a character from the opera cycle.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Biggus Dickus

In a slightly different vein the following young artist who goes by the name of "Alice Phoebe Lou" is also very cool, and I'm really enjoying her music...she's my new fav.

This song "She" is very, very cool indeed,... and I also like her rendition of Lou Reed's, "Walk on the Wild Side". I highly, highly recommend giving these a listen to, don't think you'll be disappointed!

"She"

"Walk on the wild side"

So what do you folks think about "Alice Phoebe Lou"?

I'm curious if anyone else here likes her stuff!

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 21, 2017, 02:32:45 PM

"She"

"Walk on the wild side"

I really like her version of one of my favourite songs. Nothing will ever be better than Lou Reed's original version,  but I enjoyed her bubbly performance.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 21, 2017, 02:32:45 PM

:computerwave:
I like her stuff.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2017, 03:17:31 PM

I really like her version of one of my favourite songs. Nothing will ever be better than Lou Reed's original version,  but I enjoyed her bubbly performance.

Lou Reed is a god...I was fortunate enough when I was young to have seen him perform live a couple times, and that song in particular was always a crowd favorite, meaning the kids I hung around with. We sure had some crazy times...

This is really cool video of that song, with a whole host of Lou's friends and folks who were mentioned in the song actually starring in the video.
Little Joe" refers to Joe Dallesandero, who was also one of Andy's kids in the factory. He was in several films by Warhol.
Sugar Plum Fairy is the nickname of actor Joe Campbell.
"Holly," "Candy," and "Jackie" are based on Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, and Jackie Curtis. They all appeared in Warhol's 1972 movie Women In Revolt.
Woodlawn also appeared in Warhol's 1970 movie Trash, and Curtis was in Warhol's 1968 movie Flesh.

No one

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Bruce Hornsby & The Range.
Don't ask me why.  :reading:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 22, 2017, 04:34:05 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 21, 2017, 03:17:31 PM

Lou Reed is a god...I was fortunate enough when I was young to have seen him perform live a couple times, and that song in particular was always a crowd favorite, meaning the kids I hung around with. We sure had some crazy times...

This is really cool video of that song, with a whole host of Lou's friends and folks who were mentioned in the song actually starring in the video.
Little Joe" refers to Joe Dallesandero, who was also one of Andy's kids in the factory. He was in several films by Warhol.
Sugar Plum Fairy is the nickname of actor Joe Campbell.
"Holly," "Candy," and "Jackie" are based on Holly Woodlawn, Candy Darling, and Jackie Curtis. They all appeared in Warhol's 1972 movie Women In Revolt.
Woodlawn also appeared in Warhol's 1970 movie Trash, and Curtis was in Warhol's 1968 movie Flesh.

I also saw Lou Reed perform in London in 1974. I must confess I invariably tear up when I hear Lou sing Walk on the Wild Side - it brings back memories of very good days in Paris and London.

Joe Dallesandero certainly was a hunk; he was so sexy in Flesh.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Now come on child,
you're here just a while
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Magdalena

Davin, Father Bruno...
Dance with me, please.  :dance1: