News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Are you British enough?

Started by Crow, February 21, 2012, 01:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: statichaos on February 24, 2012, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 24, 2012, 04:59:36 AM
Quote from: statichaos on February 23, 2012, 07:48:57 PM
Quote from: Melmoth on February 23, 2012, 07:21:11 PM
I'm not going to share my result because it's too embarrassing. :-[

Same.  I'll just say that I am most certainly not British, despite my love of fish and chips, Doctor Who, and Downton Abbey.
This post encapsulates why I get treated the way I do when I'm in the USA  :D :D :D

Just be happy that I didn't get my impression of the culture from Dick Van Dyke as Bert the Chimney Sweep.
Oh God yes!!

My wife was born in the heartland of the cockney accent and she has a voodoo doll she stick pins in for DvD!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

I've only heard a bit of Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, is she bothering anyone in the UK, I've only heard positive opinions, but then who could find fault with Meryl?

Amicale

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 24, 2012, 10:51:03 PM
I've only heard a bit of Meryl Streep playing Margaret Thatcher, is she bothering anyone in the UK, I've only heard positive opinions, but then who could find fault with Meryl?

I really want to see this. I love Meryl Streep. She's amazing.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 24, 2012, 10:51:03 PM
Her portrail of Thatcher is very good, unfortunately. It brings back vivid memories of the woman who did more damage to the UK than Hitler ever did. She reduced the population to tax production units.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Melmoth

Quote from: AmicaleI love and know quite a bit about British culture. Obviously not as much as someone living there, but when it comes to cuisine, music, TV, comedy etc etc, I can probably hold my own. Clearly I'm hopeless when it comes to British government/fiscal etc details though.  :P

That's a fair point. This isn't so much a test of British "culture" as British politics. And since British culture, at least presently, is one of political apathy, you should be counted as more British for doing badly in the test than for doing well. :D

Crow, you are no longer welcome in my country. You're too perversely well-informed. >:(
"That life has no meaning is a reason to live - moreover, the only one." - Emil Cioran.

Tank

Quote from: Melmoth on February 25, 2012, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: AmicaleI love and know quite a bit about British culture. Obviously not as much as someone living there, but when it comes to cuisine, music, TV, comedy etc etc, I can probably hold my own. Clearly I'm hopeless when it comes to British government/fiscal etc details though.  :P

That's a fair point. This isn't so much a test of British "culture" as British politics. And since British culture, at least presently, is one of political apathy, you should be counted as more British for doing badly in the test than for doing well. :D

Crow, you are no longer welcome in my country. You're too perversely well-informed. >:(
But crow lives here (UK).

The Magic Pudding

There was a test for would be Australians, it had sport questions.
I don't think there were any in the British test and don't recall any in the first three thousand Canadian questions but they did seem to blurr as they went on.....

Congratulations citizen, you know Bradman's average, and you embrace the perpetual reciprocal shout system, you'll fit in no worries.

Crow

Quote from: Melmoth on February 25, 2012, 10:53:18 AM

I better pack my bags then. Though I did get Saint Georges day wrong and guessed more than a few that happened to be the right choice.
Retired member.

Buddy

I got a 54%. At least it was better than I expected!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 25, 2012, 07:52:21 PM
I got 38% and I live here  >:(

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2012, 08:49:27 PM

Wow. I'm not going to risk saying anything or I might get another time out.  :D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sandra Craft

Makes me feel better about my score of 42%.  Altho maybe I shouldn't feel better, considering how much guessing I was doing.  This reminds me how I passed my high school tests.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 25, 2012, 10:06:33 PM

Makes me feel better about my score of 42%.  Altho maybe I shouldn't feel better, considering how much guessing I was doing.  This reminds me how I passed my high school tests.

Me too. One time we had a math test that was entirely multiple choice... I guessed on EVERY single answer simply by knowing how my teacher usually constructed multiple choice tests, rather than knowing anything about the math itself, and I still managed to pull off a 56% (which is bad, but a pass here).  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan