News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Little bits of history that got lost...

Started by Dave, June 16, 2017, 08:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

But this one has now been celebrated.

In 1847 the Native American Choctaw nation, not a rich people themselves, raised $170, the equivalent of tens of thousands of dollars today, in support of the  victims of the Irish Famine.

That generosity is at last being commemorated hy a statue in Ireland.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/amazing-story-of-how-choctaw-indians-raised-money-for-irish-famine-relief-234212611-237790401
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

That is a beautiful story about the generosity of the Choctaw people. Truth to tell many of us are caring and generous humans.

I claim no particular generosity or good will from the average American but it has recently come to my renewed attention that we are, overall, pretty good people.  My house guest visitor from Lithuania was overwhelmed with the friendly and generous nature of the Americans that he encountered. I confess that I did not introduce him to the quintessence of American assholes. On the other hand we met people, strangers, who were more than cordial on almost every occasion. Even the clerks and cashiers in department stores, gas stations, and similar places were pretty decent. We even took him to a police station community function so that he could learn that our cops are not the tyrannical, bribe expectant, jackasses, that he expected because of overseas news reports and the behavior of his own constabulary. 

On a global basis, Our cups are actually half full, not half empty.