News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

User Ranks

Started by curiosityandthecat, August 18, 2008, 12:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Totally unnecessary and completely novelty, but I figured I'd throw it out there, anyway.  :D
-Curio

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"Totally unnecessary and completely novelty, but I figured I'd throw it out there, anyway.  :D

Some of those ranks in the spoiler were hilarious, man! I wouldn't mind it at all if we did something like that. Thanks for bringing it up!  :beer:
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

I've taken the liberty of putting some together (in no particular order) with reasons for why I chose them.  :)
-Curio

Asmodean

Some of those ranks are a bit too long, at least to my pixel-measuring eye. I think it's best if they do not extend past one line and making the margin wider in order to accomodate long ranks would make the site look less well-made.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Asmodean"Some of those ranks are a bit too long, at least to my pixel-measuring eye. I think it's best if they do not extend past one line and making the margin wider in order to accomodate long ranks would make the site look less well-made.

Depends on the width of your window. The user avatar/information portion is a percentage of the total width (something around 20%). Unless you're running a screen that's like.. 800 pixels wide, or font sizes that are larger than normal, I don't think it'd be a problem on most of 'em.

Either way, they're just examples. :) I've been bored at work and threw them together.

(edit: Should say, font sizes larger than normal in the user avatar/information section... which is smaller than the text in posts. But I agree, some are a tad long.)
-Curio

Whitney

Those are some great suggestions for ranks.  I have been meaning to revamp the ranks system...it's still what it was when I started the forum.

McQ

How about that? I learned some more new stuff from curiosity's list! Cool.

I didn't know Percy Shelly was an atheist. And learned that I can't pronounce ‘Cthulhu’. But on the second item, I'm not sure I'm bothered by that, because I don't know what that is anyway...something from H.P. Lovecraft, but I never read his stuff (sorry, I'm sure it's really good, just haven't gotten around to it).  :D
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "McQ"And learned that I can't pronounce ‘Cthulhu’. But on the second item, I'm not sure I'm bothered by that, because I don't know what that is anyway...something from H.P. Lovecraft, but I never read his stuff (sorry, I'm sure it's really good, just haven't gotten around to it).  :D

Might I suggest you begin with The Outsider. It's only about four pages long and is quite possibly, with the exception of Hemmingway's "For sale: baby shoes; never used", is quite possibly the most affecting short story I've ever read.
-Curio

McQ

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "McQ"And learned that I can't pronounce ‘Cthulhu’. But on the second item, I'm not sure I'm bothered by that, because I don't know what that is anyway...something from H.P. Lovecraft, but I never read his stuff (sorry, I'm sure it's really good, just haven't gotten around to it).  :D

Might I suggest you begin with The Outsider. It's only about four pages long and is quite possibly, with the exception of Hemmingway's "For sale: baby shoes; never used", is quite possibly the most affecting short story I've ever read.

Thanks! I just read it. Awesome short story! His writing reminds me of Robert E. Howard's writing. Maybe because they were contemporaries. I like it. I'm going to browse around for more of his stuff. Any ideas happily accepted!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Ok...I'm going to get rid of rank images for now because I need to make 31 new ranks to make it work.  How does everyone feel about the following?  I'm going to go ahead and implement it but we can make changes:

[spoiler:2im8f310]Ink Still Wet in Passport 0-50
Beginning to See the Wedge 51-100
Memorized My Password  101-150
Has Received Bacon  151-200
Doesn't Believe in Mother Goose 201-250
Watches NOVA 251-300
The Believer That Wasn’t There 301-350
Mastered "Beer" in Chinese 351-400
Out of the Religious Closet 401-450
Loves the Peanuts 451-500
Subscribes to Free Inquiry 501-550
Can Define Jihad 551-600
Has Actually Read the Bible! 601-650
Hates Pat Robertson 651-665
Evil Inside 666
"Drinks for the House!" 667-700
Immune to Breathalizers  701-750
Entering Second Childhood751-800
Free Of Childhood Neuroses 801-850
Worships Joe Pesci 851-900
Fought Curlett and Won! 901-950
The Dawkinator 951-1000
Living a Thoughtcrime 1001-1050
Sprach mit Zarathustra. 1051-1100
Presidential Advisor 1101-1150
Named My House Monticello 1151-1200
Buddies with Uncle Bert 1201-1250
Takes the Road Less Travelled 1251-1300
Almost a God 1301-1350
HAF Is My Life 1351-1400
Created God!  1401-1499
Older than the Big Bang 1500+[/spoiler:2im8f310]

With this set up it would change ranks about every 50 posts and would probably take a while for anyone to max out.

curiosityandthecat

Love it... the only problem is that the first set of titles in my original post were all from a different forum (having nothing to do with Atheism or secular discussion). So, having someone's rank as "Ink Still Wet in Passport" on an Atheist site is kinda... strange. ;)

All the ones in my second post were specifically made for HAF (not that I think mine should be used exclusively); the others were just examples.
-Curio

Whitney

I thought it would be kinda fun to have ranks that didn't haven anything to do with the "theme" of the site to make people wonder what the hell such a rank is doing here and also serve as a reminder that the discussions don't have to always focus on religion :)

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I thought it would be kinda fun to have ranks that didn't haven anything to do with the "theme" of the site to make people wonder what the hell such a rank is doing here and also serve as a reminder that the discussions don't have to always focus on religion ;)  I'd hate to "plagiarize" anything, hah.
-Curio

Whitney

Ya, plagarism isn't good.  I'll change the ones that are orignals.

Whitney

New ranks:

Padawan Learner 0-50 - because I like Star Wars if you don't  :P
Beginning to See the Wedge 51-100
Pupa  101-150 - cocoon stage of a butterfly
Has Received Bacon  151-200
Doesn't Believe in Mother Goose 201-250
Watches NOVA 251-300
The Believer That Wasn’t There 301-350
Knows what LaetusAtheos means.351-400  -because I always get asked.
Out of the Religious Closet 401-450
Loves the Peanuts 451-500
Subscribes to Free Inquiry 501-550
Can Define Jihad 551-600
Has Actually Read the Bible! 601-650
Hates Pat Robertson 651-665
Evil Inside 666
Not afraid of the Exorcist. 667-700  -it's not so scary if you don't believe in ghosts
Immune to Begging  701-750  - begging the question
Corbu is my homeboy 751-800 -Le Corbusier is a famous architect who is an atheist; my cat is named after him.
Free Of Childhood Neuroses 801-850
Worships Joe Pesci 851-900
Fought Curlett and Won! 901-950
The Dawkinator 951-1000
Living a Thoughtcrime 1001-1050
Sprach mit Zarathustra. 1051-1100
Grass is greener on my side.1101-1150  small spin on an old saying
Named My House Monticello 1151-1200
Buddies with Uncle Bert 1201-1250
Takes the Road Less Travelled 1251-1300
Almost a God 1301-1350
HAF Is My Life 1351-1400