News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on August 10, 2018, 11:26:41 AM
I don't want to teach you suck eggs.  ...

Oh come on you love doing that!!! :rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Hey! Silver, does this help.?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2018, 06:31:16 AM
Quote from: Buddy on August 09, 2018, 07:49:27 PM
The higher ups are visiting our branch today which means I can't read my book. I'm bored.

You need a fake cover like 'Banking for Millennials'.

That's a great idea. I just ended up browsing Amazon and adding things I don't need to my wishlist.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on August 10, 2018, 02:15:21 PM
The higher ups are visiting our branch today which means I can't read my book. I'm bored.

That's a great idea. I just ended up browsing Amazon and adding things I don't need to my wishlist.

Just teasing the Amazon AI then? :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on August 10, 2018, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: Buddy on August 10, 2018, 02:15:21 PM

Just teasing the Amazon AI then? :D

Haha no. Just boredom browsing for things that look interesting.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 10, 2018, 01:14:23 PM
Hey! Silver, does this help.?

I'll check that out when I get home. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on August 09, 2018, 06:32:12 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 08, 2018, 11:18:15 PM
Quote from: Tank on August 08, 2018, 06:24:04 AM
Wow you lucky woman! 50 people who will be hanging on your every word, totally in the palm of your hand! Think of the power! Did Flamboyance Nightingale ever have such an opportunity? I'm jealous  >:(

That's the ideal scenario, but I think what's really going to happen is their eyes are going to be glued to their phones. Their loss, what I'm going to teach is going to be in their midterms. :devil:
If anybody looks at their phone STOP TALKING. As long as one phone is out DON'T SAY A BLOODY WORD!!!

Fuck them! It's your space, it's your time. If they think they have something better to do KICK THEM OUT!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Maybe I ought to get me a whip. :lol:

:domanatrix:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sandra Craft on August 09, 2018, 06:57:01 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 08, 2018, 11:11:42 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 08, 2018, 01:24:58 PM
Start the class like this...
https://youtu.be/Dd7FixvoKBw

Your students will never forget you if you do.

:lol: I need to get myself a clipboard!

;D  My brother told me that the first time he had to speak to a large group, first one of his legs started jerking uncontrollably and then the other one did so that he ended up gyrating around like Elvis Presley.  Your students would probably remember that one too.

That seems more like me!

I had to give a 10 minute class yesterday to a  supervising professor and when I tried to write on the whiteboard my arm was shaking so much all I could produce were unreadable squiggles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 10, 2018, 03:00:35 AM
I give presentations to up to 200 people in my job. Know your subject, be flexible, go with the flow, and just be you.

200 people?  :watching:

I have to give a class to 55, and even that is making me a nervous wreck.

I wish it were that easy. :sad sigh:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 10, 2018, 05:39:11 PM
Wow you lucky woman! 50 people who will be hanging on your every word, totally in the palm of your hand! Think of the power! Did Flamboyance Nightingale ever have such an opportunity? I'm jealous  >:(

That's the ideal scenario, but I think what's really going to happen is their eyes are going to be glued to their phones. Their loss, what I'm going to teach is going to be in their midterms. :devil:
If anybody looks at their phone STOP TALKING. As long as one phone is out DON'T SAY A BLOODY WORD!!!

Fuck them! It's your space, it's your time. If they think they have something better to do KICK THEM OUT!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

And a mask, a basque, fishnets and spike heeled thigh boots? 

:devil:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bluenose on August 10, 2018, 11:26:41 AM
I don't want to teach you suck eggs.  My experience with giving lectures/presentations is that they work best when you know your subject really well.  I use slides/PowerPoint/whiteboard etc but only put the topic headings on the slides.  I then discuss the subject "off the cuff" using the slides as a guide to keep me more or less on track.  This approach allows you to take questions as you go and avoids the dreaded "death by PowerPoint" where the presenter simply reads out what the attendees can read for themselves.  Not sure how relevant this is to what you're doing, but nothing helps you give a presentation better than giving one about something you are passionate about and know thoroughly.  I'm sure you'll do very well.

That's the ideal I think...I usually rely heavily on PowerPoint slides to structure my presentations, but try to make them as "clean" as possible, that is, with less text and with suitable figures. The supervising professor is old school, however, and prefers that we use the whiteboard instead.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 10, 2018, 05:51:53 PM

And a mask, a basque, fishnets and spike heeled thigh boots? 

:devil:

That's a bit much :lol:

Tank

It would undoubtedly get, and hold, their attention 8)

hermes2015

It can be a bit unsettling to have a knight and Nobel Prize winner in one's audience.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 10, 2018, 06:34:27 PM
It can be a bit unsettling to have a knight and Nobel Prize winner in one's audience.

Why? At least you know there is one person, other than you, that will understand what you're talking about.