News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Societies without God are more benevolent

Started by Velma, September 12, 2010, 05:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcbako

I don't think that they are like that.  People always believe in a Being which they worship. Christian centered societies believe God but often live in chaos. The reason is always on the people's attitude not on the things they believe in.

NothingSacred

Quote from: "rcbako"I don't think there are? People always believe in a being which they worship. Christian centered societies believe God but often live in chaos. The reason is always on the people's attitude not on the things they believe in.

People's religious beliefs can shape their attitude and behaviour. I do get what you are saying. If someone is a bad person they will be bad no matter what they believe but a bad person can find easy justification for wrong doing via religion. Also those with mental issues aren't going get the help needed to function in society if their religion is dogmatic. Look at the deaths scientology has caused or what about a christian who says their child has demons in them? If you really believe what the bible says you have to take them seriously which could lead to tragedy and death indeed it has in the past. More to the point why look after your fellow man if you think there is someone in the sky looking out for us who will ultimately take care of it or that humans will get another life to straighten things out or enjoy bliss?
A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices -William James
Anything worth knowing is difficult to learn- Greek Proverb
what if god ain't looking down what if he's looking up instead-Ani difranco "what if no one's watching

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "rcbako"I don't think there are? People always believe in a being which they worship. Christian centered societies believe God but often live in chaos. The reason is always on the people's attitude not on the things they believe in.
[Emphasis added]

This is a distinction without a difference.  Beliefs and attitudes make up a psychological feedback loop; each informs the other.
Illegitimi non carborundum.