News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

SNOPA to employers seeking passwords: Access denied

Started by Tank, May 01, 2012, 12:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

SNOPA to employers seeking passwords: Access denied

Quote(Phys.org) -- A Bill has been introduced in Washington to stop employers and schools from demanding access to people's social network accounts. On Friday, Rep. Eliot Engel (D-NY) presented SNOPA, which stands for the Social Networking Online Protection Act. Under SNOPA, employers can't ask current workers or new job applicants for access to their social networking accounts. If employers ignored the ruling they would pay $10,000 as civil penalty. The ban on such information demands would also apply to schools.

They would be forbidden to ask for social networking log-in information, to support their decisions on enrollment or discipline. The SNOPA ruling would extend to all school levels, from colleges and universities down to K-12 schools.

The move to introduce the Bill follows reports that employers are asking applicants for information so they can access applicants' Facebook accounts as part of the interview process. Ostensibly the hirers justify this as wanting to see if the person is a team fit and capable of showing the right kind of behavior within the job's professional setting. Demands are also placed on present employees. A case in point involved a teacher's aide in Michigan who was fired after she refused to hand over her Facebook password to supervisors. Their demand had followed a complaint by a parent on the aide's Friend list who found a photo objectionable.

Those backing the legislation say it's a disturbing trend. Engel said there were "countless examples" of employers requiring an applicant to divulge user name and password as part of the hiring process. "A person's so-called 'digital footprint' is largely unprotected," he said in a statement.

Some good news!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Wow, I didn't even know that this was going on ???

How weird that they want access to people's accounts, isn't googling them enough?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 01, 2012, 03:30:58 PM

How weird that they want access to people's accounts, isn't googling them enough?

I won't say where my wife works, but suffice it to say that lots of those out seeking employment are not the most intelligent people in the world.  Facebook pages say a lot about you...lots and lots that an employer can (and should if it is public) use to determine if they even want to take a chance with you.  Careful what you post.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words...

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 01, 2012, 04:03:13 PM

I won't say where my wife works, but suffice it to say that lots of those out seeking employment are not the most intelligent people in the world.  Facebook pages say a lot about you...lots and lots that an employer can (and should if it is public) use to determine if they even want to take a chance with you.  Careful what you post.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words...

I know that the security settings don't guarantee privacy, but I'm always amazed when I come across someone who still has NO restrictions on who can see their Facebook account. Or if they allow a "friend of a friend" unlimited access - a friend of a friend could be anyone! Thankfully, Facebook didn't really take off until after my um... rambunctious years. I still un-tag myself in pictures if they seem a bit unsavory and I keep my friend's list pretty trim.

But I think if an employer tried to demand my facebook account information I'd sooner delete my account than hand it over.  Just on principle.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

I recently deleted my account because I figured that the potential employer that I just applied to would probably try to look at it.  The funny thing is that I had my security settings set on Friends Only, I never posted pictures of myself doing anything most would consider unsavory, and I also untagged pictures of myself that I didn't like.  But I still feel like I would rather it just not be there than me worrying about something slipping through the cracks that I hadn't noticed or thought about.  I'm kind of over FB anyway.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 01, 2012, 04:03:13 PM

I won't say where my wife works, but suffice it to say that lots of those out seeking employment are not the most intelligent people in the world.  Facebook pages say a lot about you...lots and lots that an employer can (and should if it is public) use to determine if they even want to take a chance with you.  Careful what you post.  Pictures are worth 1,000 words...

I personally don't have any social networking account (Facebook, Orkut, Myspace or any variation) precisely because I know how stupid some people are with theirs, which thankfully leaves me feeling discouraged. I just didn't know that people had been demanding full access to private accounts like that before.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sweetdeath

What you do online shouldnt even come up. Luckily i never dealt with that  crap.

No one needs to know my web history of gay fantasy fanfiction, youtube parodies, and cute kitty photos.

I can do my job just fine  xDD
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 02, 2012, 04:05:45 AM
What you do online shouldnt even come up. Luckily i never dealt with that  crap.

No one needs to know my web history of gay fantasy fanfiction, youtube parodies, and cute kitty photos.

I can do my job just fine  xDD

Because your online habits are 'kosher' doesn't mean everyone's habits are 'kosher' or what an employer would be willing to back up, if you will, should something go wrong.  It's not crap...Sometimes it's just good business to weed out potential problems.

markmcdaniel

I do not think this bill goes far enough. The only passwords an employer should be able to ask for are for your work computer and only if they provide the computer.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Beachdragon

It's totally unacceptable that a potential employer would demand your passwords.  What's next, they want to audit your home computer?  Go through your dresser drawers?  Check what kind of meds you take?  Where does this stop?

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Beachdragon on June 08, 2012, 08:15:26 PM
It's totally unacceptable that a potential employer would demand your passwords.  What's next, they want to audit your home computer?  Go through your dresser drawers?  Check what kind of meds you take?  Where does this stop?
Yes, yes,and yes. The fact is that most employers, actual or potential, want to know as much about an employee as they can get away with. They want to know about anything that may effect their ability to make money or that might embarrass them. If the current trends continue as thy are in the near future they will want access to your home computers, family and medical histories, genetic predispositions, and a host of other things like social and sex habits. 
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche