News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Replying in "Reasons to be cheerful" on Sandy's comment about middle aged white men geing afraid of a teenage Latina girl with a buzz cut . .

Let's just hope that she has the integrity not to be corrupted by the system she is challenging, not get down to their level of intrigue, blackmail and subversion. As she increases the numbers of her supporters she increases the chance of subversive elements getting in. I would not put it past certain organisations  to "'introduce" violent people to get her movement a bad name.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 08:22:16 AM
Replying in "Reasons to be cheerful" on Sandy's comment about middle aged white men geing afraid of a teenage Latina girl with a buzz cut . .

Let's just hope that she has the integrity not to be corrupted by the system she is challenging, not get down to their level of intrigue, blackmail and subversion. As she increases the numbers of her supporters she increases the chance of subversive elements getting in. I would not put it past certain organisations  to "'introduce" violent people to get her movement a bad name.

Oh, there's always that, you can't avoid it but if you try you'll end up doing nothing, which is worse.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 27, 2018, 09:34:35 AM
Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 08:22:16 AM

Oh, there's always that, you can't avoid it but if you try you'll end up doing nothing, which is worse.

With that I can only agree! "Wiser counsel" (i.e. all those older and more convoluted minds) will inevitably try to influence the kids but, excepting violence and utter chaos, I hope they retain enough control to scare the shit out of the establishment by their actions!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on February 27, 2018, 10:13:16 AM

With that I can only agree! "Wiser counsel" (i.e. all those older and more convoluted minds) will inevitably try to influence the kids but, excepting violence and utter chaos, I hope they retain enough control to scare the shit out of the establishment by their actions!

:beer:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

When the preservation of civil liberties and the second amendment, nd the first, run amok.........................

Here is a news bulletin that explains the thoughts behind the opening sentence.

Dateline: Newfoundland Pennsylvania.

School to close for church ceremony using AR-15 rifles.

A Pennsylvania school district will cancel classes at an elementary school on Wednesday.  A church down the street is hosting a ceremony featuring AR-15 rifles.

World Peace and Unification Sanctuary, in Newfoundland, believes that the AR-15 symbolizes the "rod of iron" in the biblical book of revelations.  The church is encouraging couples to bring their  weapons to a commitment ceremony.

On Friday the superintendent of the area school district wrote in a letter to parents; "while there is no direct threat to our school community and the nature of the event, students will be bused to schools 15 miles away"

I did not make this up.  It is a presumed AP release.....Newfoundland Pennsylvania is not the big island Canadian maritime. Let us hope that this news release is  the illegitimate  result of a Russian hacker plot to make us crazy.

jumbojak

Before you know it we'll be casting aside the stars and stripes for a new flag modeled on Mozambique's.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Gun store owner stops selling AR-15s to people under 21
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/20/us/jason-cazes-raising-age-limit-to-buy-gun-cnntv/index.html

QuoteDick's Sporting Goods, Major Gun Retailer, Stops Selling Assault-Style Weapons
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html

After some corporations have stopped sponsoring the NRA are these more cracks in the gunslingers' armour?

Recusant

Not exactly the best advertisement for the idea of getting teachers to carry guns in school.

"Georgia teacher arrested after police say he fired gun in classroom, no one hurt" | Chicago Tribune

QuoteA teacher was taken into custody Wednesday after he fired at least one shot inside a Georgia classroom, police said.

Jesse Randall Davidson, a 53-year-old social studies teacher, barricaded himself inside a classroom at Dalton High School on Wednesday morning, the Dalton Police Department tweeted.

One student who injured her ankle as the school was being evacuated was treated by medics at the school. No other children were injured or in danger, according to police. The Georgia State Patrol also responded to the incident.

Davidson was charged with aggravated assault, carrying a weapon in a school zone and making terroristic threats, among others, according to Whitfield County Sheriff's Office records.

Frazier said students tried to enter Davidson's classroom about 11:30 a.m., but the teacher wouldn't allow them in, according to video of press conferences posted by WTVC-TV.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Davin

He was showing some great initiative. That's the kind of thing Trump wants.

Also, after all the scare tactics about Obama and Hillary taking everyone's guns, Trump said:
QuoteTake the guns first, go through due process later.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-take-guns-mental-health-florida-school-shooting-due-process-a8233751.html
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Michael Reilly

The Great State of Florida today decided that arming teachers wasn't a good idea...so they are going to arm librarians. You can't make this up, folks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/us/guns-florida-schools-teachers.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=73D14B84CFFBE4CE1F988CA4F30AAF57&gwt=pay

Magdalena

Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 07, 2018, 12:28:16 AM
The Great State of Florida today decided that arming teachers wasn't a good idea...so they are going to arm librarians. You can't make this up, folks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/us/guns-florida-schools-teachers.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=73D14B84CFFBE4CE1F988CA4F30AAF57&gwt=pay

Can you imagine...Conan The Librarian!?

What if my kid doesn't know the decimal system? What if he returns the book late? What if he's too loud?

:worried:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tom62

Quote from: Magdalena on March 07, 2018, 06:14:02 AM
Quote from: Michael Reilly on March 07, 2018, 12:28:16 AM

Can you imagine...Conan The Librarian!?

What if my kid doesn't know the decimal system? What if he returns the book late? What if he's too loud?

:worried:

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey