Nasty article on the Lane-Craig/Dawkins non-debate

Started by Attila, October 24, 2011, 07:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Attila

Recusant

Came has a PhD. in philosophy, and is on the faculty of St. Hugh's College, Oxford, according to the profile posted at the Guardian's website. He has been biting Dawkins' ankles about debating Craig for a few months, at least. You can read an exchange between Came and Dawkins here. I think he's trying to make a name for himself by writing articles like the one in the Guardian.

In my opinion, Dawkins isn't equipped to deal effectively with Craig, and I think he's smart enough to know it. This isn't a failing on his part. Craig began to learn competitive debate techniques when he was in high school in the 60s, and is indeed as Dawkins calls him, "a professional debater"; Dawkins is not.  Maybe Came should offer to debate Craig. In fact, maybe that's what he's angling for...
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Attila

Quote from: Recusant on October 24, 2011, 08:43:36 AM
Came has a PhD. in philosophy, and is on the faculty of St. Hugh's College, Oxford, according to the profile posted at the Guardian's website. He has been biting Dawkins' ankles about debating Craig for a few months, at least. You can read an exchange between Came and Dawkins here. I think he's trying to make a name for himself by writing articles like the one in the Guardian.

In my opinion, Dawkins isn't equipped to deal effectively with Craig, and I think he's smart enough to know it. This isn't a failing on his part. Craig began to learn competitive debate techniques when he was in high school in the 60s, and is indeed as Dawkins calls him, "a professional debater"; Dawkins is not.  Maybe Came should offer to debate Craig. In fact, maybe that's what he's angling for...
I saw a previous tilt between them on Youtube (the one in Spain) and Craig give 10 arguments for the existence of you know who. None of them appeared to be either original (I recall reading some of them in Aquinas). Aquinas himself (if my memory is to be trusted) came to the conclusion that reason alone wasn't enough to get you there; faith was required. So what's new? Is there anything more to say?

OldGit

A relative of mine was a doctor who often had to deal with irrational patients.  She always said there was no point in using logic to argue with the deluded; you'll never break through.