News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Bickering and Banning | Split From: New kid on the block.

Started by En_Route, July 07, 2012, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2012, 07:38:04 PM
To be honest the civility rule confuses me a little. Are we technically allowed to vent frustrations at generalized groups of people every once in a while or is there more of a problem when one poster targets another and personally attacks that person here.

I'd like this clarified as well.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

It's my opinion that the civility rule applies to our conduct toward fellow members of this site, and toward the site in general. That is, members should show at least a modicum of maturity and respect for each other. Obviously this has broken down on occasion, and enforcement has been (and will remain) a matter of personal judgment calls on the part of staff, which equally obviously will never be completely impeccable and impartial.

The site ideal of a "happy and productive atmosphere" has not always been achieved, and this thread is a regrettable example of failure in that regard. How we as a community will weather the recent drama remains to be seen, but (aside from a couple of glaring examples of deplorable behavior) I'm proud of the way the people here have tried to keep things from spiraling out of control. I'm optimistic that we'll continue to live up to the name Whitney chose for this place.  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Siz

In retrospect, I wonder if we have been a little too quick to criticise the 'management' in this case.

The most important thing at stake here is the community which I'd hope most of you will appreciate. I, for one, believe there is something unique here and if we want to keep it special we all must take responsibility for the tone that is set. That means not only holding those who take a forthright approach to expressing views as accountable for their utterances, but also supporting them when we know they have always tried to act in the best interests of the community. To err is to be human. Let's not allow the forum to descend into the well of petty politics like so many others. We're bigger than that, right? Let's also not loose sight of the essence of this place, that Recusant has mentioned, of Whitneys well-named and aspirational vision. I'm proud to be a part of that. I trust we can do it justice. And with the humility and maturity required to realise the vision offer due respect to the moderators who's job is hard (and thankless) enough.

So, thank you Tank, Recusant, Tom, Joe, McQ, Whitney (and any other unsung heroes) for having the guts to do what you do.

Edit: Added McQ (soz)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 11, 2012, 08:13:37 AM
In retrospect, I wonder if we have been a little too quick to criticise the 'management' in this case.

The most important thing at stake here is the community which I'd hope most of you will appreciate. I, for one, believe there is something unique here and if we want to keep it special we all must take responsibility for the tone that is set. That means not only holding those who take a forthright approach to expressing views as accountable for their utterances, but also supporting them when we know they have always tried to act in the best interests of the community. To err is to be human. Let's not allow the forum to descend into the well of petty politics like so many others. We're bigger than that, right? Let's also not loose sight of the essence of this place, that Recusant has mentioned, of Whitneys well-named and aspirational vision. I'm proud to be a part of that. I trust we can do it justice. And with the humility and maturity required to realise the vision offer due respect to the moderators who's job is hard (and thankless) enough.

So, thank you Tank, Recusant, Tom, Joe, Whitney (and any other unsung heroes) for having the guts to do what you do.

Nah lets "fuck it up"!

Only messing. Serious though it was about a style of moderating that had starting to become more frequent and prevalent and wasn't always part of the forum dynamics that was fueling the "cult like" accusation that certain ex-members applied, which certainly wasn't the case. If that's the way the staff feel is the correct way for the forum to progress then that's fine with me but I will jump ship as that's not the reason I joined this forum.
Retired member.

Siz

Quote from: Crow on July 11, 2012, 08:31:23 AM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on July 11, 2012, 08:13:37 AM

So, thank you Tank, Recusant, Tom, Joe, Whitney (and any other unsung heroes) for having the guts to do what you do.

Nah lets "fuck it up"!

Only messing. Serious though it was about a style of moderating that had starting to become more frequent and prevalent and wasn't always part of the forum dynamics that was fueling the "cult like" accusation that certain ex-members applied, which certainly wasn't the case. If that's the way the staff feel is the correct way for the forum to progress then that's fine with me but I will jump ship as that's not the reason I joined this forum.

B- for humility, Crow...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Crow

Retired member.

OldGit

I suggest that we all stop this. NOW. Things have gone much too far, much too quickly, and it will take a lot longer to heal than it took to hurt.  When we're collectively in a hole, we should all stop digging.

Tank

Ok, I've calmed down. I'm back. On reflection I have un-banned ER. At the end of the day he's not responsible for my prejudices, bad temper and the fact that I'm very protective of SD in a 'lost soul' kind of way. We've made our peace via email.

*sorry for being the ultimate drama queen*

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Crow

Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2012, 10:03:40 AM
I suggest that we all stop this. NOW. Things have gone much too far, much too quickly, and it will take a lot longer to heal than it took to hurt.  When we're collectively in a hole, we should all stop digging.

It was never about any individual person and if it's kept within the thread then what's the big deal? Taking the issue across the forum rather than keeping it confined is what has been the problem. We can brush it under the carpet and ignore issues whilst they fester then raise their heads at a later date (which is what this is) or answer and challenge them the move forward.

People say things for a reason and how quickly it moved from a complaint about a mod style (not the mod themselves, or even that E_R got banned) to silly bickering that spread across multiple threads over a nuance for the second time shows that there are problems under the surface. I say lets discuss it and people should have the maturity not to make it an issue and ruin other areas of the forum, after all my complaint comes from an issue that was originally swept under the carpet that was with another mod for the same thing. If you disagree with me I'm not going to be offended or upset, or even let it change the way I interact with you, just as disagreements in any other part of the forum don't change the way I interact. When I said I would leave its not a threat in the slightest as I don't really see my involvement in the forum that significant and members like Tank and yourself are far more integral to the dynamics, if Tank feels like he doesn't feel comfortable on the forum as before due to the complaint I have raised and would like me to leave then I happily will do for the prior reason.

Like Scissorlegs said before thanks to all the mods (including Will and Squid) creating and managing what has come before and how they have interacted with this issue.

Welcome back Tank and I am sorry if any of this has caused you grief in any way.
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on July 11, 2012, 10:51:24 AM
Quote from: OldGit on July 11, 2012, 10:03:40 AM

It was never about any individual person and if it's kept within the thread then what's the big deal? Taking the issue across the forum rather than keeping it confined is what has been the problem. We can brush it under the carpet and ignore issues whilst they fester then raise their heads at a later date (which is what this is) or answer and challenge them the move forward.

People say things for a reason and how quickly it moved from a complaint about a mod style (not the mod themselves, or even that E_R got banned) to silly bickering that spread across multiple threads over a nuance for the second time shows that there are problems under the surface. I say lets discuss it and people should have the maturity not to make it an issue and ruin other areas of the forum, after all my complaint comes from an issue that was originally swept under the carpet that was with another mod for the same thing. If you disagree with me I'm not going to be offended or upset, or even let it change the way I interact with you, just as disagreements in any other part of the forum don't change the way I interact. When I said I would leave its not a threat in the slightest as I don't really see my involvement in the forum that significant and members like Tank and yourself are far more integral to the dynamics, if Tank feels like he doesn't feel comfortable on the forum as before due to the complaint I have raised and would like me to leave then I happily will do for the prior reason.

Like Scissorlegs said before thanks to all the mods (including Will and Squid) creating and managing what has come before and how they have interacted with this issue.

Welcome back Tank and I am sorry if any of this has caused you grief in any way.
No, you were just stating your opinion. I usually get there in the end, some times it just takes me a while :)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2012, 10:48:41 AM
Ok, I've calmed down. I'm back. On reflection I have un-banned ER. At the end of the day he's not responsible for my prejudices, bad temper and the fact that I'm very protective of SD in a 'lost soul' kind of way. We've made our peace via email.

Well done, that did seem an unnecessarily serious business but this seems an excellent recovery.

Tank

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 11, 2012, 10:59:56 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 11, 2012, 10:48:41 AM

Well done, that did seem an unnecessarily serious business but this seems an excellent recovery.

Thanks Dad  ;D

OldGit

Hooray!  Yippee!  Tank, I don't think you've got anything to apologise for.  You work bloody hard for us, and if you show a human side once in a while, so be it.

Just no mankinis, please.

technolud

Quote from: oldgitHooray!  Yippee!  Tank, I don't think you've got anything to apologise for.  You work bloody hard for us, and if you show a human side once in a while, so be it.

Just no mankinis, please.

What he said!  Although I find the vision of one of Tank's tanks wearing a mankini oddly enticing.

Siz

Shhh, let's leave the dogs to their slumber...

Hooray!