News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Mother Nature in all her glory

Started by Dave, September 30, 2017, 08:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

(Or should that be "gory"?)

Met this in the kitchen sink, not quite yer tarantula but about as big as house spiders get round here! That is a tea spoon.

I caught using my humane bug grabber and gently evicted into the hedge outside the front door.

Just noticed it has already lost one leg.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Buddy

Is that a wolf spider? We have quite a few of those in my neck of the woods. I make someone else deal with them after one dropped from the ceiling down my shirt...
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Buddy on September 30, 2017, 08:42:20 PM
Is that a wolf spider? We have quite a few of those in my neck of the woods. I make someone else deal with them after one dropped from the ceiling down my shirt...
Looking at images I can't tell the difference, I always associated wolf spiders with open ground but I could be wrong.

I once had four inverted tumblers on the carpet holding four of these beasties befire finding a piece of card and then four seperate eviction trips down the stairs.

Tank

It's a male wolf spider. You can see it has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedipalp#Spider_pedipalps that are its sexual organs.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on September 30, 2017, 09:14:58 PM
It's a male wolf spider. You can see it has https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedipalp#Spider_pedipalps that are its sexual organs.
Well spotted, Tanks!

Ecurb Noselrub

Nice!  The wolf spiders we have in Central Texas have a slightly bigger torso, but are similar.

xSilverPhinx

That's a small spider, Dave! Not like the monsters that roam the Brazilian central-west! :snicker:

This is a mid-sized caranguejeira, which belongs to the tarantula group. I've seen one that measured 17 cm in diameter (legs outstretched).
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

^
I did hint it vould not match yon beasties.

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 01, 2017, 02:19:48 AM
That's a small spider, Dave! Not like the monsters that roam the Brazilian central-west! :snicker:

This is a mid-sized caranguejeira, which belongs to the tarantula group. I've seen one that measured 17 cm in diameter (legs outstretched).

I've heard that they make good pets.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 04:40:39 AM
^
I did hint it vould not match yon beasties.

I know, and I do think that some small spiders can be especially scary. Black Widows, for instance, are really small and way more venomous than tarantulas. I prefer one that can be easily seen to one that is nearly invisible.   

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 01, 2017, 05:37:56 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 01, 2017, 02:19:48 AM

I've heard that they make good pets.

Yeah, I've heard that too. Though I don't know, when this particular spider feels threatened it rubs its abdomen with its hind legs to release extremely irritating hairs, which really sting when they come into contact with your skin. I speak from experience - it feels like a thousand wasps are stinging you at once.

If you breathe that stuff in it could probably do some damage. Not exactly a pet I would choose to have...they do look soft though! It must be interesting to hold one that is accustomed to handling.

OldGit

Quote from: HermesI've heard that they make good pets

So they do!  My granny had one called Bonzo, he was very quick at fetching sticks.  Sadly, he stung the postman to death and had to be put down.

hermes2015

Quote from: OldGit on October 01, 2017, 10:01:08 AM
Quote from: HermesI've heard that they make good pets

So they do!  My granny had one called Bonzo, he was very quick at fetching sticks.  Sadly, he stung the postman to death and had to be put down.

:lol: I hope he (the postman) wasn't an atheist.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

I like the spider picture Dave, impressive leg span...better to find it in your sink than in the bed! ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."