News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Replying - An Issue

Started by AnimatedDirt, May 12, 2011, 10:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

I'm experiencing a problem when replying to topics.  The area to type in is fine while there is not much content, but once the field of view is full of text (needing to scroll up and down to see the whole of the reply), the...well, how do I convey this...I can still type and keep going, but at some point the cursor jumps back and forth with each character and I basically cannot see what I'm typing.  I can stop, scroll down to the point where I should be viewing, click there and the view jumps back up to the top.  If I type, the view jumps down, I see the character for an instant and it jumps back up to the top of the reply.  And so it goes if I continue to type.

I'm hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Also, if I need to select a portion of text, it will not scroll automatically down as I hold the mouse button down...it sticks to the last sentence in the view.

It's really odd and annoying.

Thanks for your help.

Whitney

hmm..what browser are you using?

Post a chunk of text the length that gives you problems...that might help me try to replicate the issue.

AnimatedDirt

This post is the last one that this was happening to.  Once I got to the second quote, is when it all started up.  I'm using IE-8.

Tank

Are you posting on a laptop with a mouse pad? I've had problems in the past when the mouse pad sort of 'stalls' and things can go peculiar.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

I haven't used my laptop since the forum changed to the new format.  It's a desktop PC.

Tank

Not that then.
Browser IE or Firefox or something else?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Do you happen to have a pen tablet and your phone or some sort of magnet is on or near it?  My mouse was jumping around the other day and it took me a while to realize it was because my phone was sitting on the tablet pad....figured it out when I sat my phone on a paperclip and it picked it up....

____
Fixing this may end up being a non-issue...after consulting with my friend I'm going to update to the RC5 version of the SMF forum.  It's the final release they just haven't issued it officially because of some administrative who owns what type of discussion the SMF group is having; so it's safe to go ahead and upgrade.

The upgraded version looks nicer on the default theme and has the ability to easily include the worldview field again.  I know no one is having problems with it.

AnimatedDirt

On my way out.  I do have my phone next to me, so tomorrow I'll try moving the phone away.

AnimatedDirt

I just posted again...a "long" post.  I made sure my phone was away from the computer.

It didn't make any difference.

Whitney

well...the good news is that I can replicated the problem in IE-8.  The bad news is that I don't know how to fix it.  But the good news on that is I think upgrading should fix it.  I'll run this problem past my friend.

AnimatedDirt

AnimatedDirt

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 25, 2011, 03:43:17 PM
Spam!  Grr.

Come on Dirt, you know you need some Tramadol.
And probably a levaquin infiltration or two.
Oh erythromycin and campylobacter dogs sound interesting, who would have thought to combine the two.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 25, 2011, 03:56:46 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on May 25, 2011, 03:43:17 PM
Spam!  Grr.

Come on Dirt, you know you need some Tramadol.
And probably a levaquin infiltration or two.
Oh erythromycin and campylobacter dogs sound interesting, who would have thought to combine the two.

I prefer to advertise Teamocil.
http://youtu.be/vPUE4Fo4RCc
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

hismikeness

There's no "i" in Temocil, at least not where you'd think.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite