Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by SisterAgatha, September 23, 2017, 09:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 26, 2017, 03:16:29 PM
Quote from: Dave on September 26, 2017, 08:07:18 AM
Well, Sister Agatha, if you are genuine, you seem to be, like many "true believers," unwilling to challenge slights on your religion. Is this because, say, it is so indoctrinated into your mindset that you are honestly unable to find any adequate response? "Oh, dear, how can you say such things?" being the gist of your thoughts?

Not being able to even begin to understand the basis of the "attack", lacking that insight into either your own or another's mindset, your main defence is to either ignore or reply with the "standard",  phraseology. This, of course, does nothing to advance the discussion or the understanding of anyone's stance and, inevitably, makes all such discussions pointless, repetitive loops.

So, why, in your personal understanding of such things, does your god allow some good people to die young, often in terrible pain and distress, whilst saving others who, maybe, have never done a good thing in their lives?

If you have no answer you probably have no true understanding, are blindly following a fantasy taught to you at an impressionable age or impressed on you during a time of mental illness. Thus you suffer a cognitive and  intellectual disability not necessarily of your own making. What a pity, I feel sorry for you.

We live in a broken and flawed world, where bad things often can and do happen.

Sometimes I have thought just as you did. Why does God allow so many lovely people to die? The majority of people's funerals I've been to, and the majority of people Ive known who have died well before their time always seem to be such good and decent people.

Catholicism is no fantasy and it certainly isn't blind. All I do is think about it and question it  and wonder what parts of it really do make sense.

I don't claim to know all the answers. But what I do know is that I and everybody else is supposed to love and respect all our fellow creatures to the extent we can.

As I suggested, basically the routine responses, Sister.

If your god is responsible for creating this "flawed world" he is not so "omnipotent" but is still repsonsible for what happens on it. Just lousy quality control as usual.

I will refer you to Epicurus on the subjects of gods and death. There was a wise man.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

SisterAgatha

^ I suppose you are correct. God does not always intervene directly and does not always...oh I don't know do what we would consider the right thing.

Even though I am a nun my faith has wavered and at times even lapsed. Thing is, the Catholic faith isn't like some straight jacket strapped to your mind.

It takes a lot of thinking, a lot of understanding and weighing etc.  I don't fully understand it, and Im really not the person to ask about the whole "problem of evil." I struggle with it often.

I don't think your right on the "Death of God" happening any time soon. People have been saying that for years yet people are always coming to it.
r
Theres no getting around it, there is something compelling about Jesus Christ. People of all ages, socio economic backgrounds and ethnicities have found solace and inspiration in him (though unfortunately not always in the RCC)

If you'd like to PM me Id honestly be happy to answer any questions you may have

Dave

Please read Recusant's request that you use the quotation function and reply directly to the point you quote.  Where did:
QuoteI don't think your right on the "Death of God" happening any time soon. People have been saying that for years yet people are always coming to it.
in your post come from? I doubt that the concept of some form of god will ever really be lost to humanity. Considering the form that "gods" have taken over just known history, and the hints that prehistoric man also acknowledged some form of supernatural "force",  those that theorise that religiosity is a genetic function might be right. A few million years ago being afraid of the elemental forces would probably be part of their survival toolkit.

Considering my scepticism and analytical approach from my very early years chances are I missed out on that gene. Didn't miss much in my estimation, though some church music and art is worthy of appreciation.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: SisterAgatha on September 23, 2017, 09:53:45 PM
Hi everyone.

For purposes of this forum my name is Sister Agatha!

I am a sister and teacher at a Catholic grade school/middle school somewhere in the midwest.

Forgive me for saying so, but I was intrigued by atheism and athesits, because at some level I don't really understand them.

Now now. I know Im just a little bit biased being a nun and all, but I almost find it impossible to believe that anyone coudl really live "without God".

God is love. God is smiling at a child's fingerpainting, playing a guitar and singing a lovely song, and quite frankly just being there with for someone when the've had a rotten day, and them being there for you. In my mind God is love itself, and for me living without God would be pretty lonesome!  :-[

I suppose some of the bible stories sound a little wild, but I could never imagine living without Jesus. Honestly when I've had a bad day at school and am ready to jsut call it quits, I say a little prayer to Jesus..and I can't explain it..He always gives me the strength I need to get through the day.

I am so happy you agreed to let me post here, and Im really looking forward to some  productive discussions!

Hello Sister Agatha,

Welcome to our forum...it's always good to see and hear new faces and voices within our mix here at HAF. I was on a sort of sabbatical for the last week or so, and so was pleasantly happy to see and read some of your postings, though to be honest I've only browsed quickly through some of your threads up to this point, but I plan on catching up on my reading in the next day or two so I look forward to getting back to them.

I want to assure anyone who has suggested that Sister Agatha is sock puppet created by me that this is not the case, though I can easily see why this would seem plausible given that I was away from the forum when she arrived, and I have posted here at HAF more than once my "Dislike" for the kind and gentle sisters of the Catholic Church.

Allow me to briefly explain Sister where this dislike of nuns originated from. I was raised catholic, and attended a private catholic school for 12 very long, excruciating years. Not everything about either the school or being raised in the church was bad, I certainly have good memories to go along with the bad, however. My early childhood years, especially those early years in elementary school were marked by physical abuse I received not only from the priests, but by the nuns.

I shall for the sake of my composure this morning refrain from going into detail about my experience, I have work to do later this morning, and don't really have the spoons to deal with reliving the details of my experience; however. I can paint a brief picture of a child who was extremely shy, both happy and loved who was also very naive and trusting. I was a bit younger than others in my grade, and was blessed at an early age with a very active and joyful imagination.

I'm trying to paint a picture of small child who's experience with life up to that point was gleamed from being raised in the arms of a loving and caring home, I walked into that school as innocent and vulnerable as a child could possibly be, and I was totally unprepared for the range of abuse and horror I was subject to. As most victims of abuse I was led to believe the punishments I received were deserving because of my "behavior" so never a word did I say to my parents about what I experienced.

It took very little time at the hands of the Bernardine Franciscan Sisters to change my childlike views of the world. When looking back I sometimes feel like little "Georgie" from Steven Kings novel "It". You know, the little boy who is chasing his paper boat down the street in the rain as it floats towards the gutter and slips out of site, and as he looks inside is enticed by the clown to reach for the balloon he is holding inside the sewer, and as he does so has his arm rip off and he is left to bleed to death.

Nuns are my Pennywise the clown.

They are from outward appearances, certainly from the time I was a child, in their all white robes and veils, with their cross of gold hanging from their necks harmless appearing, but once in their grasp their understanding of love and compassion is over-shadowed by their arcane beliefs and expectations of how children should live their lives and behave.

Fortunately during my second grade year one of my older sisters became aware of the abuse I was dealing with and spoke up about it to my parents, so the worst of it finally ended...I can state unequivocally that not all nuns are intrinsically evil, I did know and come to trust some nuns during my high school years who were my teachers who actually had a very strong impact on my life. One in particular actually encouraged my to pursue studies of other religions, primarily non-western religions which eventually led to my atheism.

Anyway, back to your original post. I have taken the liberty of requoting part of your opening remarks regarding Jesus. Basically I have switched the words "God or Jesus" with life.

Life to me is love, compassion, empathy, awareness of self, awareness of the world around us....it is the talking tree, the river, it is the smell of sweet grass and cedar, and the songs of the natural world, it is the feeling of warmth, it is a child without fear, it is a breath both in and out, it is all things composed, simply, without hate or prejudice.
Now now. I know Im just a little bit biased being a nun human and all, but I almost find it impossible to believe that anyone coudl really live "without God" Life.

God Life is love. God Life is smiling at a child's fingerpainting, playing a guitar and singing a lovely song, and quite frankly just being there with for someone when the've had a rotten day, and them being there for you. In my mind God Life is love itself, and for me living without God Life would be pretty lonesome!  :-[

I suppose some of the bible stories sound a little wild, but I could never imagine living without Jesus Life. Honestly when I've had a bad day at school and am ready to just call it quits, I say a little prayer to Jesus (I sit and meditate, watching my breathe both on the inhale and exhale)..and I can't explain it..He Life always gives me the strength I need to get through the day.

Again welcome to the forum Sister. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Father! I'm so glad to "see" you here, again!  :hug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Quote from: SisterAgathaAll I do is think about it and question it .....

Surely that's forbidden?  Don't you go to Hell for questioning?

Biggus Dickus

I think you atheist have scared Sister Agatha away with all your damn jabbering! :zombie:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 01, 2017, 06:47:37 PM
I think you atheist have scared Sister Agatha away with all your damn jabbering! :zombie:

Since it's October now, I think we should switch over to gibbering for the time being.  Seasonally appropriate.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 01, 2017, 07:57:54 PM

Since it's October now, I think we should switch over to gibbering for the time being.  Seasonally appropriate.

Well, I'll be 73 in a week, good age for gibbering.  :geezer!:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 08:00:48 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 01, 2017, 07:57:54 PM

I agree, but is it "Jibbering" with a "J" or "Gibbering" with a "G"? (My spell check prefers the G, stupid Apple product) ::)

Dave

Hmm, always ptonounced it with a soft "g" as in

Bit like jabbering, which is slightly less hysterical!

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 08:55:28 PM
Hmm, always ptonounced it with a soft "g" as in

Bit like jabbering, which is slightly less hysterical!

So a soft "g" like a "j"? So why not just spell it with a "j"?

:haironfire: English :haironfire:

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on October 01, 2017, 08:00:48 PM
Yes, your birthday is Saturday, October 7!  :heyhey:
Wow! 73 years old.  :tellmemore: