News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Autism

Started by jumbojak, July 07, 2019, 11:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I saw this on the way to work earlier this week and it really touched me:

I recently watched a Ramsey Dewey video where he touched on the subject of autism in children in the most inspiring and generous way that I have ever heard. Someone asked his thoughts on vaccines causing autism in children. I suspect it was an attempt to trap him in taking an odd position.

His response? He opened by saying, "So what?" He didn't go into the scientific and political debate. He simply asked what's so wrong with being autistic, and I thought that was really beautiful.

We get so caught up in the idea of being normal, of our kids and our family and our friends being normal that I think a lot of people forget that even the most unusual folks have value. They have a lot of love to give and are worth loving in return.

So, whoever put that on their car earned a lot of respect from me, even if I never meet them. Whether they are a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, or just someone who sees value and inspiration in a child who a lot of people wouldn't want.

Sorry if that's a bit random. I haven't been thinking very clearly the last few days.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

That is much more than a random thought JJ.  You are thinking more clearly than a those people who have a deficit of compassion or appreciation for those who are not quite the same as "us".

Dark Lightning

Autism covers a fair range of behaviors or "whatever". It's a sliding scale, and not all of the autistic kids sit rocking in a corner. I've been tested and am "neurotypical", although some people I know claim I am autistic. They just don't know what they are talking about and don't try to understand, they just judge. In any event, good for that person, treating whomever the "hero" is as a real person!

jumbojak

Quote from: Dark Lightning on July 08, 2019, 04:08:07 AM
Autism covers a fair range of behaviors or "whatever". It's a sliding scale, and not all of the autistic kids sit rocking in a corner. I've been tested and am "neurotypical", although some people I know claim I am autistic. They just don't know what they are talking about and don't try to understand, they just judge. In any event, good for that person, treating whomever the "hero" is as a real person!

Don't you hate that?! I was on a date years ago and the girl suggested I get tested for autism. 

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 08, 2019, 01:43:32 PM

Don't you hate that?! I was on a date years ago and the girl suggested I get tested for autism.

Did you? ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

:love:

The world is certainly more interesting with a neurodiverse population.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2019, 12:09:49 PM

Did you? ;)

No, I was offended. Not at the suggestion that I might be autistic, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but by the idea that a conversation over appetizers and entrees could be enough to reach that conclusion.

Dark Lightning

It makes my stomach churn when I realize what a colossal mess Mr Wakefield made of the world community with regards to his fraudulent "research".  >:(  Disgusting.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 13, 2019, 01:17:11 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 09, 2019, 12:09:49 PM

Did you? ;)

No, I was offended. Not at the suggestion that I might be autistic, that wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but by the idea that a conversation over appetizers and entrees could be enough to reach that conclusion.

She was probably autistic and looking for a soul mate.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Michael1

Quote from: jumbojak on July 07, 2019, 11:23:35 PM
I saw this on the way to work earlier this week and it really touched me:

I recently watched a Ramsey Dewey video where he touched on the subject of autism in children in the most inspiring and generous way that I have ever heard. Someone asked his thoughts on vaccines causing autism in children. I suspect it was an attempt to trap him in taking an odd position.

His response? He opened by saying, "So what?" He didn't go into the scientific and political debate. He simply asked what's so wrong with being autistic, and I thought that was really beautiful.

We get so caught up in the idea of being normal, of our kids and our family and our friends being normal that I think a lot of people forget that even the most unusual folks have value. They have a lot of love to give and are worth loving in return.

So, whoever put that on their car earned a lot of respect from me, even if I never meet them. Whether they are a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, or just someone who sees value and inspiration in a child who a lot of people wouldn't want.

Sorry if that's a bit random. I haven't been thinking very clearly the last few days.

Thanks my good friend.
I liked the earth before it was cool.