News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Gold Pyramids

Started by Recusant, January 06, 2020, 01:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

As I read this story, I thought to myself, "Simply amazing. That these scientists were able to observe this intriguing phenomenon, and that some institution was willing to lay out a significant pile of spondulics for them to discover it." Turns out, there are probably practical applications.

"Clusters of gold atoms form peculiar pyramidal shape" | EurekAlert!

A model of 20 oranges is compared with the theoretical and experimental structure.
Image Credit: KU Leuven

Clusters composed of a few atoms tend to be spherical. They are usually organized in shells of atoms around a central atom. This is the case for many elements, but not for gold! Experiments and advanced computations have shown that freestanding clusters of twenty gold atoms take on a pyramidal shape. They have a triangular ground plane made up of ten neatly arranged atoms, with additional triangles of six and three atoms, topped by a single atom [see figure where a model of twenty oranges is compared with the theoretical and experimental structure].

The remarkable tetrahedral structure has now been imaged for the first time with a scanning tunnelling microscope. This high-tech microscope can visualise single atoms. It operates at extremely low temperatures (269 degrees below zero) and uses quantum tunnelling of an electrical current from a sharp scanning metallic tip through the cluster and into the support. Quantum tunnelling is a process where electrical current flows between two conductors without any physical contact between them.

The researchers used intense plasmas in a complex vacuum chamber setup to sputter gold atoms from a macroscopic piece of gold. "Part of the sputtered atoms grow together to small particles of a few up to a few tens of atoms, due to a process comparable with condensation of water molecules to droplets," says Zhe Li, the main author of the paper, currently at the Harbin Institute of Technology, Shenzhen. "We selected a beam of clusters consisting of exactly twenty gold atoms. We landed these species with one of the triangular facets onto a substrate covered with a very thin layer of kitchen salt (NaCl), precisely three atom layers thick."

[. . .]

The new discovery helps scientists evaluate the catalytic and optical performances of these clusters, which is relevant for designing cluster-based catalyst and optical devices. Recent applications of clusters include utilisation in fuel cells and carbon capture.

[Link to full article.]

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

That is cool :tellmemore:

I'm hoping Hermes will say that silver takes the shape of a rose or something equally intricate, but I'm guessing it's highly unlikely. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2020, 03:07:26 AM

I'm hoping Hermes will say that silver takes the shape of a rose or something equally intricate, but I'm guessing it's highly unlikely. :P

No, not unlikely. We have living, walking proof in your own dear self.  :love:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 06, 2020, 03:55:19 AM

Awwwwww.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Such a sweet talker you :grin:  :blush:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 06, 2020, 10:45:38 AM

Such a sweet talker you :grin:  :blush:

:sidesmile:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Sometimes I regret not going into materials science. I find this sort of thing fascinating.

No one

Hey you, this post is a treasure. On a scale of 1-200, I give it a 196.96657.

Ecurb Noselrub

Makes me what to play billiards with 20 gold balls (on the table, that is).

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on January 06, 2020, 07:03:17 PM
Hey you, this post is a treasure. On a scale of 1-200, I give it a 196.96657.

:boaterhat: