News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Seems this non-cabbage-white-buttefly is a comma - boring name for an attractive beastie.

Here's the full shot:

Found the dragon flies (which may be damsel flies bit cannot get a positive ID) again, two of them having what I took to be a territorial dispute, could almost draw the border lines from the flight/fight pattern broke off. But they where incredibly fast and, with me standing, 8 feet down in the ditch.

I totted up the pennies in the mad money piggybank and bought a Nikkor 55-300 lens, better for this kind of shot. The 18-140 will still be my general about town lens, the wider angle is better for that purpose.

Trouble is now I need a new camera holster, this combo is 20mm too long, can't zip it up. Buying same make as current one, not expensive but current one has lasted 5 years.

Now I am a little more mobile I hope to get out more. Found out there is a small arboretum in the city with a widened brook nearby where kingfishers have been sighted. But no carpark and a fair walk from nearest bus stop to entrance. Still trying to find out which busses actually pass it - that info is omitted from the website! That's Gloucester City Council for you, not always the most tourist orientated bunch.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Managed to find a red admiral today

Also found this strange duck . . .

Oh, sorry, it's a wood pigeon taking a bath!

Note the bit of wood in the water, there is often trash in it. I can remember when there were fish in and insects in and on the water. Now there is no sign of life and, despite the above shot, even very few weeds growing in the water. There is no smell but it seems to have died.

jumbojak

That's a nest pigeon. Is the water feature a man made pond or naturally occurring?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 19, 2018, 03:36:42 PM
That's a nest pigeon. Is the water feature a man made pond or naturally occurring?
e

"Nest pigeon"?  That's a wood pigeon to us.

The waterway probably started as a natural stream but is now a "sunken" brook in its own tiny valley. It can be traced back to a spring, about a mile away, above the blue lias clay (full of fossil shells) that lies below all the land round here - it drains into the River Severn. As these things go it has become a drain for the roads that now litter the place as housing and industry grows. It does not help that the cut the weeds bordering the stream and use chain flails on the bushes and trees. But they leave the detritus in the stream, the breakdown of which depletes the dissolved oxygen. OK, they do wait until after the flowering season but a lot of seeds, fruits and moth/butterfly lava food plants are lost.

They had to replace a bridge that was too small, it got blocked by all the cut wood and plastic bags, bottles etc until it flooded and was rendered unsafe.

jumbojak

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 19, 2018, 09:23:19 PM
I meant to write "neat" and my a and s got crossed up!

Hey! I gotts patent on typoing "s" for "a"! Puck your own typis!

:geezer!:

Later: but thanks!

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 19, 2018, 02:40:15 PM

Also found this strange duck . . .

Oh, sorry, it's a wood pigeon taking a bath!

To prevent confusion in future think of ducks as platypus billed waterfowl.
That pigeon's bill is definitely not platypus like.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Took the 55-300mm on a trip to town just to try it out. My thoughts were correct, 18-140mm far better for that use.

Will get a belt pouch for the 18-55mm to take out with the 55-300mm - just in case.

hermes2015

Some photos I took this weekend at a zoo near me. Don't be fooled by the sunshine, the temperature was 12°.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Yes, must get down to Slimbridge Wildfowl Centre one day, only a few miles away. Trouble is it stinks!

Icarus

Once had a girlfriend who lived in an apartment (flat) building alongside a lake.  There were lots of ducks that used the lake for whatever ducks use a lake for.  The ducks had a seemingly overwhelming need  for using the ground floor hallways of the apartment building to deposit loads of duck poop.  Not only was that a danger to ones shoes when entering GFs apartment but it also smelled pretty bad.

That was a real dilemma.  The GF was an accommodating person  ;D....vs the unpleasant duck poop that had to be navigated.