News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on July 28, 2018, 07:06:16 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 28, 2018, 04:47:20 AM
Um, I don't know where to find that info and I'm afraid I can't count that high. Is that a "property" of the phito?
Yes it is a property. It's the 'size' of the image and you should be shooting at the maximum size.

I've downloaded the image and it's 2048 x 1361. It should be 6,000 x 4,000. if you've got a 24Mp sensor. Sorry to ask again but what make and model of camera is this?

It's a Nikon D3200. I haven had a chance to look at the photo again on my laptop but I should be able to tomorrow.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 28, 2018, 03:36:25 PM
Um, I don't know where to find that info and I'm afraid I can't count that high. Is that a "property" of the phito?
Yes it is a property. It's the 'size' of the image and you should be shooting at the maximum size.

I've downloaded the image and it's 2048 x 1361. It should be 6,000 x 4,000. if you've got a 24Mp sensor. Sorry to ask again but what make and model of camera is this?

It's a Nikon D3200. I haven had a chance to look at the photo again on my laptop but I should be able to tomorrow.

Then you should be able to set it to 6,000 x 4,000 then. It'll be interesting to see what it was taken at.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on July 28, 2018, 04:35:19 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on July 28, 2018, 03:36:25 PM

Then you should be able to set it to 6,000 x 4,000 then. It'll be interesting to see what it was taken at.

Open it with the viewer you usually use. It will give all the info about the photo.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

It was 6016 x 4000 but the high quality jpeg files are considerably smaller than the nef files! I'm working on a fix...

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

jumbojak

Icarus

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on July 30, 2018, 02:04:31 AM
It was 6016 x 4000 but the high quality jpeg files are considerably smaller than the nef files! I'm working on a fix...
Good you're shooting at the best resolution. The Nef files are not compressed files, they have all the sensor info in them, the generic term is a RAW file. Jpegs are 'lossy' compressed files and are designed to be smaller. Don't worry the high res, high quality jpegs are fine for all but the best printed images in A3 or poster size. Somewhere between you uploading your last pic and it appearing here part of the process reduced the resolution.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2018, 06:06:03 AM
Good you're shooting at the best resolution. The Nef files are not compressed files, they have all the sensor info in them, the generic term is a RAW file. Jpegs are 'lossy' compressed files and are designed to be smaller. Don't worry the high res, high quality jpegs are fine for all but the best printed images in A3 or poster size. Somewhere between you uploading your last pic and it appearing here part of the process reduced the resolution.

I have been wondering about this sort if thing for a while. If you use a photo hosting service, like Imgur, do they store at full original res or reduce it I wonder? When I link to Imgur in a post I have to specify the format, usually jpg, so is there further compression going on? Every conversion is going to degrade the image a bit.

The other thing is: if I trsnsfer the images to my tablet to get them to tbe host and then the forum do they lose out? Certainly any images I send in "Original size" by email from the tablet are much smaller files than than the same image stored on my laptop.

The questions are asked in general, not expecting you to know, Tank!

Must put Imgur on the laptop then upload/download some images to see what happens.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on July 30, 2018, 08:45:20 AM
Quote from: Tank on July 30, 2018, 06:06:03 AM

I have been wondering about this sort if thing for a while. If you use a photo hosting service, like Imgur, do they store at full original res or reduce it I wonder? When I link to Imgur in a post I have to specify the format, usually jpg, so is there further compression going on? Every conversion is going to degrade the image a bit.

The other thing is: if I trsnsfer the images to my tablet to get them to tbe host and then the forum do they lose out? Certainly any images I send in "Original size" by email from the tablet are much smaller files than than the same image stored on my laptop.

The questions are asked in general, not expecting you to know, Tank!

Must put Imgur on the laptop then upload/download some images to see what happens.

I think they keep the original JPG without any additional compression, but I will have to check, because I also use Imgur. I haven't noticed any changes in my photos.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Rewrite because have found part of my image posting problem on Photobucket. Imgur still a no-go.

Dave

Hoo-bloody-ray!

I have at last found one place thst Photobucket looks in my file system. Had to copy the picture to every possible image holding location, one at a time looking in Pb each time.

Taken with the Lumix, at max (x30) optical zoom, sitting on the bank of the brook trying to steady the camera with elbows on knees! Sitting there for about 5 minutes holding view on that resting twig. Took ages to get up again - going to take at least the monopod next time.  Shown as taken.

Oh, and the fish are back, playing amongst the beer bottles and crisp (chip) packets etc.

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank