News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Imsomniacal mental meanderings

Started by Dave, December 13, 2016, 03:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Yeah, me too!

Another night of about one hour's sleep then a brain wandering through all kinds of things. . .

Idea for demonstrating double random selection system - one of two people has to do something (nice or nasty) and you have to choose which. Take up a coin, turn your back on the people, close your eyes and tell them to swap places several times  - one on you right, one on your left but still behind you - until you say "Stop". Then chose left or right to call heads or tails, turn to face them, still with your eyes closed, and spin the coin, letting it fall to the floor. You have a "random" choice of who does the task.

Wish I recorded everything that trundles through the grey matter, I am sure there's good stuff in there!

Any other insomniacal musers out there?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

I often can't sleep at night, but I don't muse -- I sew.  All night long.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I used to be an insomniac but then I got tired.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

"I wish I was at the gym"

"I wish I didn't eat terribly and feel like crap for it"

"I just ate a ton of carbs, I should be at the gym right now"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Today I tried to take an extended afternoon nap and the inner "conversation" went as follows:

It's too freakin' hot to sleep. Way too hot. Maybe I should lie on the floor with my limbs outstretched? No.

Maybe I should be doing something more productive? Too hot. Yes but, I'm doing nothing but wasting time here. What does it matter, I waste time like a professional. Yes but, I want to do something more productive. No.

I can't sleep. It's too hot. Maybe I should be doing something else?  No.

I am my own saboteur.

Davin

I had to get up an hour earlier this morning, so I tried to go to bed earlier last night. So I ended up staring at the wall or the ceiling until around 1:30am. And I got up at 4:30am. I tried not to think about anything, and when that didn't work, I started to think about my projects to try to get something useful out of my forced awake time. I think it helps to save time when I next get a chance to work on my projects.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on December 21, 2016, 02:22:26 PM
I had to get up an hour earlier this morning, so I tried to go to bed earlier last night. So I ended up staring at the wall or the ceiling until around 1:30am. And I got up at 4:30am...
:grrr: I hate when this happens! And I mean 'hate' the same way Keke uses the word, hate!

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Ecurb Noselrub

I recommend reading the US Tax Code, or some other random statute.  Reading statutes is very boring, and puts you to sleep almost immediately.  Try it - you'll hate it! But you'll fall asleep.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 21, 2016, 07:49:20 PM
I recommend reading the US Tax Code, or some other random statute.  Reading statutes is very boring, and puts you to sleep almost immediately.  Try it - you'll hate it! But you'll fall asleep.

Are there statute audiobooks available? Because I find those do the job nicely.

Davin

Being bored annoys me, and it's difficult for me to fall asleep if I'm annoyed. So reading boring things doesn't make me tired, just bored.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Dave

The evil sulphurous fart, born through an unholy mating of onion, sprout and the denizens of the lower bowel,  seemed to etch its own path through the duvet, ignoring warp and weft, ignoring the hollow polyester fibres. Then it hung, invisible, but somehow still a toxic yellow-green, above the bed, awaiting another victim.

However the laws of physics were there to set matters aright - Brownian motion and almost undetectable convections ripped the foul miasma slowly apart, diluting it with the, comparatively, pure air of the room until it lost its odiferous identity to the human occupants.

However, a mouse in the attic sniffed in disgust and decided to find a new home.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

:pensive: It's just past midnight and I'm wide awake. 

Quote from: Gloucester on January 02, 2017, 01:52:20 AM
The evil sulphurous fart, born through an unholy mating of onion, sprout and the denizens of the lower bowel,  seemed to etch its own path through the duvet, ignoring warp and weft, ignoring the hollow polyester fibres. Then it hung, invisible, but somehow still a toxic yellow-green, above the bed, awaiting another victim.

However the laws of physics were there to set matters aright - Brownian motion and almost undetectable convections ripped the foul miasma slowly apart, diluting it with the, comparatively, pure air of the room until it lost its odiferous identity to the human occupants.

However, a mouse in the attic sniffed in disgust and decided to find a new home.

:golfclap:

Davin

I couldn't fall asleep until around 2am, and I got up at 5:30am. I really wanted to finish something, but the later it got, the more mistakes I made and the slower progress I made on it. Oh well, I'll try to finish it today.