News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harmonie

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 05, 2017, 11:20:42 PM
And already the NRA supporters are blathering about how it's not a gun problem but a mental health problem.  Like crazy people allowed to buy guns isn't a problem all on its own.

Don't you know that guns are just completely innocent harmless rainbow shooting toys until they get into the hands of bad people? Guns can not be blamed, they must remain 100% free from regulation. Because... We can't be mean to them, or something like that.

Seriously, I can't even begin to understand why people are actually against gun regulation. Gun sellers who want to make more money, sure, but everyday people I can not understand. Gun regulation should only effect those who - SURPRISE! - shouldn't have guns to begin with!

My first paragraph is a joke, of course, but it is only slightly exaggerated in reality. People treat guns like innocent toys when in reality they are manufactured 100% with the purpose of being weapons. Yes, they can only harm people if they are put in the hands of people... But that's the thing, we're making laws for people.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Ecurb Noselrub

Horrible.  So senseless.  We are a sick society and we are armed.  Scary.

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 02, 2017, 07:50:58 PM
You should sticky this thread Recusant, that way when the next mass shooting occurs here in a week or so we don't have to keep starting a new one...after the horror of Sandy Hook, and the mass shooting of children which occurred there we here in the good ole US of A decided that we didn't want or need to discuss or resolve this issue of mass shootings, that we were fine living with this type of horror in our lives, that children being massacred in safety of their school room was bearable.

So we did nothing.

And we won't do anything now either.

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2017, 05:09:17 AM
I'm not going to sticky this thread until the next one. And there will be a next one.  :-\

You two were right.  :felix:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

It seems a potential protection scheme for church attendees has been voiced . . .

Allow them to carry guns in church.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Magdalena on November 06, 2017, 04:24:09 AM
You should sticky this thread Recusant, that way when the next mass shooting occurs here in a week or so we don't have to keep starting a new one...after the horror of Sandy Hook, and the mass shooting of children which occurred there we here in the good ole US of A decided that we didn't want or need to discuss or resolve this issue of mass shootings, that we were fine living with this type of horror in our lives, that children being massacred in safety of their school room was bearable.

So we did nothing.

I'm not going to sticky this thread until the next one. And there will be a next one.  :-\

It was inevitable.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Tank on November 06, 2017, 06:37:14 AM

So we did nothing.

It was inevitable.

Sadly it was...Two of the four deadliest shootings in U.S. history have occurred in the last 35 days by white gun enthusiasts who murdered 85 people, but hey let's not talk about gun control...

Thoughts and fucking prayers.

Also, since it was a white man who slaughtered half of the church in Texas it means that means everything is just fine today.

We don't have no terrorism to worry about.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 06, 2017, 04:01:06 PM
Quote from: Tank on November 06, 2017, 06:37:14 AM

So we did nothing.

It was inevitable.

Sadly it was...Two of the four deadliest shootings in U.S. history have occurred in the last 35 days by white gun enthusiasts who murdered 85 people, but hey let's not talk about gun control...

Thoughts and fucking prayers.

Also, since it was a white man who slaughtered half of the church in Texas it means that means everything is just fine today.

We don't have no terrorism to worry about.

Yeah. :sad sigh:

Also, let's continue building that wall so that bad people don't come in...Oh, wait, they're born here.  :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

QuoteWe don't have no terrorism to worry about.

Sorry to be pedantic, FB, but this is not terrorism, this is nutters. Should a group, immigrant or home grown, carry out actions - for a political or other purpose - designed to, say, make flying more difficult due to super enhanced aurport security, or using the sidewalk or bike path a thing of concern, or armed guards in churches, that is instilling a sense of terror in people.

There is, to some degree, a chance of monitoring things or setting up physical or legal defences. In the case ofvrsnfom attacjs by jndividuals, eith no "previous" (as it is known over here) therebis virtually no chance of predictionor prevention - short of that which the NRA and gun-nuts still fight against with all fheir considerable might.

I listened to the Governor of Texas early this morning, it was obvious that this latest event hit him hard, and he hinted about greater gun control if he did not actuslly call for it then. This is the top man in Texas, sounds like he risks political suicide.

We are talking about a mental health problem made worse by a lack of publicly funded therapy in a country where, just so long as you do not happen to have your name on a couple of lists, you can buy as many guns as you want. Or steal them from any of thundreds of thousands of owners, skmebof whom almost certainly leave their guns in unlocked places.

Tom62

A very likely scenario is that a gun owner was quite normal, when he bought his guns but became crazy over time. In that case, please correct me when I'm wrong, I don't think that there are any laws to take away his guns. Perhaps gun owners should get regular mental checkups?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dave

Quote from: Tom62 on November 06, 2017, 05:15:48 PM
A very likely scenario is that a gun owner was quite normal, when he bought his guns but became crazy over time. In that case, please correct me when I'm wrong, I don't think that there are any laws to take away his guns. Perhaps gun owners should get regular mental checkups?

Good point.

I think I said before that there should be a period of mandstory firmsl training, at the applicant's expence, before a "permit to own" is issued. Then further mandatory training before carrying in public places.

Now, perhaps, add an annual psychological and legal check before permit renewal.

Tank

By some accounts he was an atheist. Christians on Facebook have exploded with joy that they can blame atheism for mass murder.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on November 06, 2017, 06:52:32 PM
By some accounts he was an atheist. Christians on Facebook have exploded with joy that they can blame atheism for mass murder.
No, he wasn't!  >:(

Texas Shooting: 'Domestic Situation' Said to Spur Gunman
QuoteSUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. — Law enforcement officers investigating the mass shooting at a church that killed 26 people here said on Monday that "a domestic situation" within the gunman's family may have motivated the killing.

"The suspect's mother-in-law attended this church," Freeman Martin, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety, said during a news conference Monday morning. "We know that he had made threatening texts and we can't go into detail into that domestic situation that is continuing to be vetted and thoroughly investigated."

"This was not racially motivated, it wasn't over religious beliefs, it was a domestic situation going on," Mr. Martin added.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/us/texas-shooting-church.html

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on November 06, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

Good point.

I think I said before that there should be a period of mandstory firmsl training, at the applicant's expence, before a "permit to own" is issued. Then further mandatory training before carrying in public places.

Now, perhaps, add an annual psychological and legal check before permit renewal.
I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be the psychiatrist who has to give them the bad news.  :-\ Or the police officer who has to go take away their "favorite" toy. :-\

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on November 06, 2017, 07:04:37 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 06, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

Good point.

I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be the psychiatrist who has to give them the bad news.  :-\ Or the police officer who has to go take away their "favorite" toy. :-\

Good points, but, these days, the psychological text, and scoring, could be done on a screen. Or, in the time they would take to get such a law on the books, by a semi-AI or "intelligent system". Pass/fail result. Hmm, taking the toys away isn't so easy I agree . . .

Sandra Craft

I think that's a good idea -- prove every so often (yearly seems right for guns) that you're still competent and qualified to possess/use one.  We do that for car ownership, tho not nearly as often as we should.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany