News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Death Penalty?

Started by fester30, March 28, 2011, 10:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byronazriel

Prisons should only hold those of the most heinous crimes. People who kill, enslave, and/or murder people for money or revenge and chose to do so knowing that it was wrong.

People of lesser crimes, like theft, vandalism, drug possession, prostitution, embezzelment and what have you should pay fines, be put on house arrest, and/or do community service.

People who commit crimes due to mental illness should get the help they need.

Anything more than that is unnecessary.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch

Asmodean

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"If I was a very bad man, one who was sufficiently bad to have a sentence of serious lopping delivered, how would I react to my mutilation?  I might stay home and get fat, or else be moved to acts of extreme sadism.
I would turn to evil the like of which the world has never seen on the spot, I think...  :pop:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Twentythree

It’s impossible to put a moral value on one life over another.  If one is killed does that persons killer really deserve the death penalty. How do we know where either of these people would have ended up if allowed to live, either one of them has as much chance of curing cancer as they do stating a war. Either of these people may be the next Albert Einstein so if they are killed in the street or by an executioners needle society pays the same price as a whole. I feel that the criminal justice system, particularly in the US is deeply flawed and criminals should be forced to work for their meals and medical care while they are incarcerated. And I think that progressive educational programs should be in place that are the sentence instead of time. If a person commits to working hard and completes their psychological and vocation rehabilitation program then they get to move along the pipeline of institutions with progressively fewer and fewer walls until they are free. This would take an extreme amount of altruistic understanding on the part of the victim and the victims family.