News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Texas nationalist group rallies for secession

Started by Tank, March 06, 2011, 06:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Texas nationalist group rallies for secession

QuoteAUSTIN â€" The Texas Nationalist Movement marked Texas Independence Day with a rally on Saturday at the Capitol urging Texans to save the state by seceding from the United States.

A small but enthusiastic group of Texans gathered on the steps of the Capitol, as an assortment of massive Texas flags blew above them in the chilly afternoon breeze.

Outrage was spread evenly toward Democrats and Republicans as leaders of the movement expressed their disgust for the growing national debt and the federal government's treatment of Texas.

"Texas can take better care of itself than Washington," said Lauren Savage, vice president of the movement. "We are here to raise interest in the Legislature of the possibility of secession to cure the ills of America."

Members are demanding that state lawmakers introduce a bill that would allow Texans to vote on whether to declare independence.

Fed up with federal mandates, the burden of unsustainable taxes and disregarded votes, members say secession has been a long time coming.

"This is a cake that's been baking for 85 years," said Cary Wise, membership director of the Texas Nationalist Movement. "All this administration has done is light the candles."

Demonstrators said they have had enough of state leaders who are conservative in rhetoric but big government proponents in reality, calling out GOP Gov. Rick Perry as one of the biggest frauds.

"I would love to debate Rick Perry live because we could once and for all show that the guy is a big government fraud who claims to be conservative," said Eric Kirkland, member of the Constitution Party of Texas.

CONTINUED

With acknowledgement to NineOneFour at Rationalskepticism who first posted the article.

So what do the locals here think? You can have a Queen to if you like, we'll sell you ours  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

I think secessionists are retarded and grossly overestimate how many people think there is a want or need to secede from the US.

Tank

As an aside to this my wife and I were discussing the USA and she is of the opinion that there could be a split between the North and South if the 'Rabbid Right'  keep going the way they are. I am of the opinion that first and foremost Americans see themselves as American first and everything else comes second and as such there will never be another civil war or civil split.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

LegendarySandwich

Eh. While succeeding sounds stupid to me and I doubt the bill will actually pass, if they want to leave, let them leave. I don't think anyone will really miss Texas.

Whitney

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Eh. While succeeding sounds stupid to me and I doubt the bill will actually pass, if they want to leave, let them leave. I don't think anyone will really miss Texas.

What about Squid and I?!!  :crazy:

KDbeads

And me???  Well at least while I'm still out here anyway!

If it were up to the little town I'm in they would have already seceded and put Bush back in control.  Remember I'm only about 25 miles from one of his favorite BBQ places.  We tried it and hubby can't figure out why anyone would eat there, I can't have anything they fix anyway.

I think I'm going to be happy to leave the political/religious/racial mindset of this area.  I'll miss the land but not the people.....
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

LARA

Well, Oklahoma needs more atheists....

Although the love for soulless speed metal and choirboy high notes might have to be left at the border... ;)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Whitney

Quote from: "LARA"Well, Oklahoma needs more atheists....

Don't worry, the Texas rebels will make annexing Oklahoma their first goal.

LARA

QuoteWhitney wrote:  Don't worry, the Texas rebels will make annexing Oklahoma their first goal.

The tribes here will never give up their federal funding to join with Texas.  The rebels would definitely have a fight if they tried it.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

AnimatedDirt

One of my favorite quotes;

“If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
~Philip Henry Sheridan

I used to live in Witchita Falls, TX.  It was a hell hole for sure!  I didn't care much for the Dallas/Ft Worth area either.
I'm all for Texas seceding...
No offense to my TX friends on HAF. ;)

terranus

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"One of my favorite quotes;

“If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell”
~Philip Henry Sheridan

I used to live in Witchita Falls, TX.  It was a hell hole for sure!  I didn't care much for the Dallas/Ft Worth area either.
I'm all for Texas seceding...
No offense to my TX friends on HAF. ;)

Oh yeah?

QuoteYou may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas!
-Davy Crockett

I hope Texas does secede. Wouldn't bother me at all.
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Beachdragon

I'm curious.  If your state does secede, would you move to be in the US or stay with your state/new country?

Whitney

Quote from: "Beachdragon"I'm curious.  If your state does secede, would you move to be in the US or stay with your state/new country?

Being that I don't like to live in war zones (you know the US wouldn't just let a state leave without putting up a fight) I'd get the hell out asap.

and in the case of Texas:  It would shortly become illegal to be anything but fundamentalist christian and blasphemy of any sort (including refusing to pray) would punishable by death.  So yes...run for the hills.

Squid

Quote from: "Beachdragon"I'm curious.  If your state does secede, would you move to be in the US or stay with your state/new country?

I'd move back to Seattle.

Will

Dear Texans,

If your state secedes, and you're not cool with leaving the Union, think carefully about where you want to live. Obviously, you're used to living in a wealthy, diverse state that borders on Mexico but also has large and progressive urban areas. You like booming tech industry, you like big agriculture, and you probably like dry heat.

I think you know where you're headed.

Love always, and see you soon,

California
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.