News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on August 19, 2018, 11:56:00 AM
Quote from: Dave on August 16, 2018, 08:45:12 AM
After noting that the BBC are using "BC" instead of "BCE" (I am sure they used to use "BCE" before) it got me thinking about some politician ssying, "We are a christian nation."

"We are a nation in which the predominant religious tradition is christian" looks a bit more accurate. But I doubt that I am the first to think so.

I found an old article from The Guardian about this:

QuoteThe BBC has not issued editorial guidance on the date systems... Both AD and BC, and CE and BCE are widely accepted date systems and the decision on which term to use lies with individual production and editorial teams.

I still tend to use BC/AD myself, for the same reason the author of the Guardian piece does--it's what I've used all my life, and the Christian origin doesn't bother me. Of course I don't have any problem with BCE/CE, if somebody prefers that.

Interesting, thanks, Recusant. One might have thought they had a policy on dating terms but, despite the churches complaining otherwise, Aunty Beeb is still a bit Middle Class Anglican.

I suppose I got stuck on BCE/CE when doing research and writing the reports for the city archaeology public involvement projects - the city archaeologist's preference was that system.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dark Lightning

Quote from: jumbojak on August 19, 2018, 03:12:25 AM
I'm not a "professional" mechanic, but I do wind up working on a wide variety of vehicles and equipment. Everything from big tractors to sewing machines. I'm probably as well tooled as a lot of pros though. It's very satisfying to have exactly what you need to do a job.

Plus, I'm addicted to wrenches... This is partly because I like them, partly because sacrificial spares for cutting and welding into different shapes are so handy. Need a thin wrench? No problem, just grind one down until it fits! Need a crowsfoot? No problem, just cut the end off of a wrench and an extension and zap those bad boys together!

You see some crazy shit in farm shops. My oldest brother and I broke a 36" cast iron pipe wrench one day and nearly smashed the back window out of his truck doing it. One of those jobs where a torch was needed but not handy...

Don't grind wrenches to be thinner! Buy some tappet wrenches instead. https://www.amazon.com/tappet-wrench/s?page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atappet%20wrench

I have a "gas wrench/hacksaw", too- oxyacetylene rig. Nothing metal stops the Fireball.    :devil2:

Dave

Why do I volunteer for things?

I am editing and proof reading a book for a friend, a sort of history of the village and its surrounding area from pre-historic times - illustrated with her paintings of the older and the more notable village buildings. Luckily it is only about 140 pages of text. Covered the first 14 pages so far today. So glad to have a second screen for Google to research things that look a bit iffy. Worst error so far: saying that the Neolithic was the early Stone Age!

She is a lovely lady but not exactly computer literate! Indents and tabs are strangers to her. She also has a habit of repeating things in different paragraphs. With all the highlighted parts, including repeats, bits that need checking or rethinking, my corrections and comments Mondrian might be happy with it!

Having to do it in Open Office and can't find the strike-out icon - need it!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 20, 2018, 06:38:39 PM

I am editing and proof reading a book for a friend, a sort of history of the village and its surrounding area from pre-historic times - illustrated with her paintings of the older and the more notable village buildings. Luckily it is only about 140 pages of text. Covered the first 14 pages so far today. So glad to have a second screen for Google to research things that look a bit iffy. Worst error so far: saying that the Neolithic was the early Stone Age!

She is a lovely lady but not exactly computer literate! Indents and tabs are strangers to her. She also has a habit of repeating things in different paragraphs. With all the highlighted parts, including repeats, bits that need checking or rethinking, my corrections and comments Mondrian might be happy with it!

A good example of making a rod for your own back.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 20, 2018, 06:58:13 PM

A good example of making a rod for your own back.

Ah, well, I have always said that I enjoy editing and proof reading and in two psychometric tests, in 1974 and 2004, such jobs were high on the suggested career lists. Strangely, though I went off scale, 100%+ according to the graphic, in the mechanical section of the second test it still listed law, publishing, editing, teaching, researching etc - no mention of engineering or science at all!

I was already retired and, since we got a 50% discount, I just did it to see how it compared with the earlier one. Very closely.

Sandra Craft

Oh no!  Editing is not possible without strike-outs, esp. red ones!  And you do it 'cause you're a nice guy.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Email from my author friend - she agrees with 99% of my comments on the first section. Phew. Be interesting to see where we differ.

Only 90% of the book to go . . .

xSilverPhinx

Well, I'm off! Taking off, that is. Being in a plane so high off the ground scares me a little.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 21, 2018, 09:44:15 AM
Well, I'm off! Taking off, that is. Being in a plane so high off the ground scares me a little.

Thinking of you.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 21, 2018, 09:48:41 AM

Thinking of you.

On solid ground! :whew:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 21, 2018, 06:07:28 PM
Quote from: Dave on August 21, 2018, 09:48:41 AM

Thinking of you.

On solid ground! :whew:

Goody!

/Thinking

:grin:

xSilverPhinx

Bad Penny II

My 1st daughter came home from a much larger town/city to stay for six months a few back.
She left for university eight years ago, (did phycology) she visited frequently.
She's the smaller person in this photo:

She's got an internship/job that pays  :)

Daughter two is off to South Africa to compete in another world championship.
That's her grooving on a plastic trumpet.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tank

Awwww. Two beautiful little sproutlings!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 22, 2018, 01:14:53 PM
My 1st daughter came home from a much larger town/city to stay for six months a few back.
She left for university eight years ago, (did phycology) she visited frequently.
She's the smaller person in this photo:

She's got an internship/job that pays  :)

Daughter two is off to South Africa to compete in another world championship.
That's her grooving on a plastic trumpet.

Gorgeous pics
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare