News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Hello all.. New here!

Started by eriellefae, December 11, 2009, 08:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eriellefae

Hi,
My name is Melissa. I'm 23 years old. I wouldn't call myself an atheist but it is probably the closest I come to anything. I do not completely disbelieve in a god but I do not in any way see "God" as most religions do. I guess I could be called agnostic. I don't deny that there is no god 100% simply because science has yet to prove it wrong. We simply lack proof that there is no god. We have not found proof that there is not one. Therefore, until it has been proven with enough evidence that there is not one, I simply call myself an agnostic. I don't know what the true definition of an agnostic is but I would say that I am "someone who desires belief, and sees the potential but lacks belief because nothing has been proven."

Now, when I say that I desire belief, I do not mean that I wish to adopt the beliefs of a certain religion. I am almost sure that there is no hell. I am almost positive that (although jesus may have existed) I don't believe he had any magical powers or that he was the son of God. I desire a belief in a metaphysical way. I desire to have the belief that there is something else.  However, my doubts outweigh any desire that I may have.

If that makes sense? lol

Whitney

Hi welcome to HAF.

This might help you understand the agnostic/atheist labels (you can be both agnostic and atheist):
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=830

leonswan2000

Hi mellisa, I'm new also. Your belief system sounds pretty much close to my own for a long time. I guess thats why I am saying hello. I dont have any big revelations for you. Ive read a lot of literature on creationism vs evolution and also a lot on the subjects of paticular religeons. I dont believe anything written about religion anymore but thats my thing. I also hold open that because there is no proof of a God's nonexistence there could be somthing there. Maybe were just a terrarium ploject I dont know. For me though If there is a God It would seem He certainly doesnt care what people do. So I'm not gonna spend a lot of time even wondering about what god may want. There is just as much evidence the universe was created by bored Gerbils as of anything else . Anyways nice to meet you.
I lost more than a few tiles upon reentry