News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Meghan Markle

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 21, 2017, 11:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Brits, what is your opinion, if you have one, if you care, about Meghan Markle?  As I said before, I like Harry, so I hope he's happy.  They seem like they genuinely like each other. 

Dave

Haven't read much about her, but what I have heard seems to indicate she is a confident, intelligent and assertive person. If that passion is tempered by compassion she seems the just the type he needs.

Time will tell.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

She'll be OK.  She's grown up and streetwise, which Diana wasn't.

Ecurb Noselrub

Thanks for the comments.  Looks like she is going to be spending Christmas with the Royals, so she'll be in the news quite a bit, I assume.  I wonder if she will retain her US citizenship when she becomes a Brit.  US citizenship would be a valuable thing to give up. 

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 22, 2017, 04:02:59 PM
Thanks for the comments.  Looks like she is going to be spending Christmas with the Royals, so she'll be in the news quite a bit, I assume.  I wonder if she will retain her US citizenship when she becomes a Brit.  US citizenship would be a valuable thing to give up.

The way things are going at the moment are you sure that US citizenship is going to be that much of a boon outside of the US? Or even in the US for some people.

Not sure that British citizenship is a whole bunch of goodies either after listening to our politicians...

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Dave on December 22, 2017, 04:15:23 PM

The way things are going at the moment are you sure that US citizenship is going to be that much of a boon outside of the US? Or even in the US for some people.

Not sure that British citizenship is a whole bunch of goodies either after listening to our politicians...

I'm sure it's value has gone down some, but it's still nice to have a US passport and be able to vote against Donald Trump.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 22, 2017, 05:50:58 PM
Quote from: Dave on December 22, 2017, 04:15:23 PM

I'm sure it's value has gone down some, but it's still nice to have a US passport and be able to vote against Donald Trump.

Yeah, with you on the Trump bit!

Icarus

I am pleased that her mixed race identity is neither a deciding factor nor has it been often mentioned.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on December 22, 2017, 11:46:17 PM
I am pleased that her mixed race identity is neither a deciding factor nor has it been often mentioned.

In the first few media days here it was very much mentioned - until she personally expressed her sorrow over it.

Pasta Chick

On the scale of things I couldn't give less fucks about, what the Royal Family is doing is up there with the Kardashians.

xSilverPhinx

^ Agree, it's not something that's relevant to my day-to-day life so I couldn't care less really.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 23, 2017, 03:55:14 PM
^ Agree, it's not something that's relevant to my day-to-day life so I couldn't care less really.

Yeah, that's why I addressed the OP to Brits.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 25, 2017, 12:48:09 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 23, 2017, 03:55:14 PM

Yeah, that's why I addressed the OP to Brits.

I know, but even if I were a Brit I wouldn't. Not to be a bore but I don't understand how people can find this kind of thing interesting.

Even the lives of local celebrities are uninteresting, like who married who, what their kid's name is, what recreational drugs they use, etc. etc.

The British royal family are almost 'ornamental' IMO. However, I have a great deal of respect for Princess Diana. She seemed like a great human being despite her life. Me being a person who values privacy I feel bad that her life was overly public. As for Charles?  :bleh: As I said elsewhere I believe if he had any brains he would abdicate in favour of his eldest son, who seems to be much more popular than he is. Symbolic power might be something more difficult to hang onto than other types of power.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

I kinda hope Will and Harry can use their celebrity to effect positive change in the world.  For example, letting Charlotte be in line for the throne before her next brother, even though she's female, and Harry marrying Meghan even though she's mixed race.  They are more inclusive than any royals before.  Their attitudes can break some barriers, as they are trend setters to a degree.  It's a shame that celebrity has that power, but it's a simple fact.