News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"You have nothing to believe in? How sad..."

Started by Sweetdeath, July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on July 12, 2012, 12:55:30 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 11, 2012, 10:52:36 PM
So if you ever need help crossing the street~
...Or locating your fake teesh on the bus  ;D

We got him a string for his spoon. Maybe we can get him a string for his teeth?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

OldGit

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on July 12, 2012, 02:43:19 PM
^  ^^ Ratbags, the lot of you!   :D
Well, in The Asmo's case, gray rat droppings.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

If you think rat droppings are bad, you should see cavy poops. They're like mini factories...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Hector Valdez

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 14, 2012, 04:17:33 PM
Eh, what's all this about now, eh?

Rat poop/guinea pig poop, a comparative study.

cncracer

Quote from: Sweetdeath on July 04, 2012, 10:47:21 PM
This was a response i got today from my friend's friend. I went to high school with a boy named CJ. He's a nice dude who lives in my building. We went to see Spiderman today with HIS friend Tommy.

Tommy and i for some reason got into a discussion about religion. He sad he felt bad for me because i had "nothing to believe in."
He said he didn't understand people without religion, and don't want a connection to "God."

I didn't really know how to answer him, except "I just want to be left alone. I want to live my life. Take responsibility for my own actions. Leave it up to probability and chance, versus prayer and a 'miracle. I just feel no need to have a connection with something i feel does not exist. I feel no void. No emptyness. I make my own choices in life, not guided by a divinity, as most religious people seem to really need a crutch or else their lives don't feel valid. I don't need to be made valid by a supernatural being made up by old men who herded goats."

He didn't say much after that, except tried to ask where he thought my mother went after her death. I said "Nowhere. I guess she just doesn't exist anywhere, except in my memories and photographs."

I didn't mean for that to sound so 'cold', but that's how i felt.

I find it sadder when people look down at me with sympathy , saying they can't imagine a life without something to believe in.

Sorry for the mini-rant. It's been a day. I just want to stay home in the a/c. I really hate holidays X__x;;;

As Atheist we have truth to believe in. I personally believe in science, physics, and provable truths through the scientific method. I do not believe in myths and hopes based on primitive goat herding nomads who answered most of their questions on nature by reverting back to ancient sun gods.  If you friend takes the time to read his holy book and see how absurd it is he might wake up and see reality. 

Amicale

Quote from: cncracer on July 15, 2012, 12:31:46 PM

As Atheist we have truth to believe in. I personally believe in science, physics, and provable truths through the scientific method. I do not believe in myths and hopes based on primitive goat herding nomads who answered most of their questions on nature by reverting back to ancient sun gods.  If you friend takes the time to read his holy book and see how absurd it is he might wake up and see reality. 

Hmm. :) I understand exactly what you're saying, and I'm absolutely with you on the not believing in old myths. And I don't mean to nitpick, but I don't personally "believe in" science. "Provable truths" can change, and do. I accept current scientific theories that are well established given the current evidence we have for them, but if that evidence were to change and the scientific concepts/theories themselves were to be modified, I wouldn't be devastated. :) Even the atheist 'pet favourite', evolution - say in 25 years, scientists come out with concrete evidence that evolutionary theory as we previously knew it was either dead wrong or developed very, very differently than we'd thought, I'd accept it and continue on.

It's the process of science and critical thought that I personally value, not the specific conclusions themselves. Although, as theories/current conclusions go, I'd say we currently have some pretty good ones!  :) I do think that's part of the fun and the joy of appreciating science. We're always learning new things. We're not so wedded to the 'provable truths'/ideas that they can't change; in fact, science always refines its ideas based on new evidence... which is one thing religion never really does, unfortunately.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 14, 2012, 04:32:41 PM
Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 14, 2012, 04:17:33 PM
Eh, what's all this about now, eh?

Rat poop/guinea pig poop, a comparative study.

Basic science (science for the sake of science). :D

Don't take this as me dissing basic science, btw. ;D Um...something useful and practical might come out of it. 

Hector Valdez

Mathematics is better than science. [/Obvious inflammatory remark] :)

Asmodean

Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 16, 2012, 05:48:50 PM
The Asmo > math.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Asmodean on July 16, 2012, 05:56:56 PM
Quote from: RenegeReversi on July 16, 2012, 05:48:50 PM
The Asmo > math.

How does the Asmo quantify himself? :D

Ali

^^My guess would be that he quantifies himself in comparison to whatever else is being discussed, with "greater than" being the constant.

Asmo>(insert anything here)

Asmo>Cadbury Creme Eggs
Asmo>lamps
Asmo>Quantum Physics
Asmo>those shoes that are supposed to give your bottom an extra workout while you walk
Asmo>pinatas

And so on.