News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

HAF Book Club: January poll and discussion

Started by Sandra Craft, December 17, 2019, 06:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Genesis: The Scientific Quest for Life's Origin, by Robert M. Hazen.  Life on Earth arose nearly 4 billion years ago, bursting forth from air, water, and rock. Though the process obeyed all the rules of chemistry and physics, the details of that original event pose as deep a mystery as any facing science.

The Invention of Nature, by Andrea Wulf
The forgotten life of Alexander von Humboldt, the visionary German naturalist whose ideas changed the way we see the natural world—and in the process created modern environmentalism.

Monster of God, by David Quammen.  The significance of alpha predators (specifically, in this book, the Asiatic lion, crocodiles, tigers and brown bears) and the humans who live alongside them. 

Pilgrim at Tinker Creed, by Annie Dillard.  Dillard's personal narrative highlights one year's exploration on foot in the Virginia region through which Tinker Creek runs. The result is an exhilarating tale of nature and its seasons.

The Sky's the Limit by Anna Magnusson.  In 2004, Vicky Jack completed the Seven Summits - the highest mountains in each of the seven continents. Whilst pursuing her climbing dream, she also carried on a high-flying career. This book tells her story.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

The first two titles interest me, though Genesis is about 15 years old, and there has of course been continued research on abiogenesis. Humboldt was an amazing scientific explorer, as well as being a huge figure in botany and other scientific fields.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on December 17, 2019, 09:58:51 PM
The first two titles interest me, though Genesis is about 15 years old, and there has of course been continued research on abiogenesis.

I can't find that it's ever been revised either.  Maybe consider dropping it from the list in favor of a more current book on the subject?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Well, it's a tie between Nature and Pilgrim's Creek.  Anybody want to break the tie?
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Hmm, so I break the tie this time.  I'll go with Invention of Nature, since it's been on the list longest.
Sandy

Davin

Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 29, 2019, 02:13:13 AM
Hmm, so I break the tie this time.  I'll go with Invention of Nature, since it's been on the list longest.
Alright, I was on vacation, but I'll get this book and start reading.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on January 06, 2020, 02:34:31 PM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on December 29, 2019, 02:13:13 AM
Alright, I was on vacation, but I'll get this book and start reading.

I'm really enjoying it, sorry I didn't know about this guy much sooner.
Sandy

Davin

Just over half way through and I can't think of a good reason why I've never heard of this guy before.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Davin on January 22, 2020, 04:52:13 PM
Just over half way through and I can't think of a good reason why I've never heard of this guy before.

Me either.  Luck of the draw I guess.
Sandy

Davin

I finished the book. I have no complaints for the writing style. It was very informative without getting overly verbose.

Humboldt lived an interesting life and inspired a lot of scientists and science. I can see the point at the end as to why we had been "forgotten" but I think it's just one of those things where those he inspired became more famous and popular so he was overshadowed.

I wish more science stuff took the same approach he did of not being merely science. I don't think all of it should be that way, but if we want to inspire some awesome future scientists, facts, data, and dispassionate reports, aren't going to do it.

Sandra Craft

No where near finished (got too caught up in sewing), but just fascinated by Humboldt's life and energy level.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Finally, finally finished!  Can't believe it took me so long to read a book I enjoyed so much (tho I seem to remember writing that about another book from the club).

How in the world did we ever forget about this guy?!  It can't have all been feeling pissy about Germans after WWII.  At least his ideas survived, and I guess, in his case, that was best if it was a choice between the two.

I loved the chapters about his time in South America best, when he was coming up with his awareness of the interconnectedness of life decades before the word "ecology" was even coined.  I guess it's not surprising I found these chapters the most enjoyable, since they reflected the best and most enjoyable years of Humboldt's life as well.

And I found it heart-warming that he was such a liberal, a loud and frequent opponent of colonialism and slavery.  So much so that the East India Company refused to give him permission to travel in India, not wanting to put up with any lip from him about the Raj afterwards.  Sad he never got to realize his dream of exploring the Himalayas. 

It was also gratifying that Wulf covered so much of the lives of people who influenced Humboldt and later, some of the many people influenced by him, learned quite a lot I hadn't known before.

A wonderfully comprehensive book, with many leads to other books to be added to my To Be Read pile.
Sandy

Davin

Yeah, that trip to South America was the best part of the book. The rest is good, but those were the best chapters.