Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Dave on July 04, 2018, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 04, 2018, 01:27:01 PM
Beer

Eating? Beer?

:notsure:

Marmite is the nearest I get to eating beer!

It's stout, and not stout because it travels well it's a euphemism for 'fat' having rugged physical strength; inured to fatigue or hardships.  It's a food replacement, an evolution if you will.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 04, 2018, 01:46:53 PM
Quote from: Dave on July 04, 2018, 01:29:22 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 04, 2018, 01:27:01 PM
Beer

Eating? Beer?

:notsure:

Marmite is the nearest I get to eating beer!

It's stout, and not stout because it travels well it's a euphemism for 'fat' having rugged physical strength; inured to fatigue or hardships.  It's a food replacement, an evolution if you will.
Yeah, in the RAF they gave us a bottle of Guiness if we donated blood to "build us back up". Milk stout was my mother's favourite drink - well, after the xmas port and lemonade!

Surely, "... having rugged physical strength; inured to fatigue or hardships." are eminent qualities for surviving travel? Actually the Wiki history,of porters and stouts is very interesting
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Ravioli. There's a special place in my heart for Italian food.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 15, 2018, 11:39:38 PM

Left pastatrium?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on July 16, 2018, 05:32:11 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 15, 2018, 11:39:38 PM

Left pastatrium?

My heart is a gnocchi with spaghetti vessels. :love:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

A Marmite sandwich. Seem to want a slice of Marmited bread every day at the moment, have done since I started losing weight a month or so ago (stabilised now), maybe I was short of B viramins?

Dunno, but I have noticed that walking does not cause as much leg pain since I started getting out again. Wonder if there is a link?

Dave

Fish fingers and baked beans with fried tomatoes mixed in - missed a shopping trip waiting in for a deliverer. It was home made chicken, mushroom and sweetcorn soup for lunch.

Just been checking on food group intakes, lots of pie charts. Then had a thought - why not a pizza with one section of protein (meat, fish), another section veggie (sweetcorn, chillies, mushroom, tomatoes etc) and the final section fruit (pineapple, banana slices . . .). The base is, of course your carbs and the cheese your dairy. Add herbs and/or spices to taste.

Get the right proportions right and you have your balanced daily intake pie chart on a plate! Two of those a day (small for lunch, large for dinner,) with variations, and you have a healthy diet!

:grin:

Icarus

Dave I am aware that Marmite is some sort of spread for bread or whatever.  What is it made of?   I have the impression that it is also a staple for Aussies.  Is it anything like peanut butter?

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 23, 2018, 12:23:31 AM
Dave I am aware that Marmite is some sort of spread for bread or whatever.  What is it made of?   I have the impression that it is also a staple for Aussies.  Is it anything like peanut butter?

Apart from being a spread not a lot like peanut butter! It is made from the residue yeast from the brewing industry and is, effectivrly, unique to each country in which it is made.  In the UK  it is made from the yeast from bitter ale and lager and they once made a special edition using Guiness yeast. There is even a Marmite chovolate bar I think.

"Marmite - love it or hate it!" is a marketting slogan, because that's how people feel about it. I kove it. It is a smooth, very dark brown paste with a salty/yeasty flavour. There is actually not a lot of salt but yeast tastes salty as well. It is applied very, very thinly to buttered bread, toasted if you want, like 4 grams per slice is the recognised serving on the label.

It is stuffed with B complex vitamins and on the two occasions I lost my appetite due to illness it was one of the few things I really wanted. I craved small quantity high flavour foods, a Marmite sarnie fitted the bill!

Aussies, I seem to remember, got more for "Veggimite", similar in taste but made from concentrated vegetables I think, I am sure Bluenose or Bad Penny will put me right.

Tank

Nothing. But now I'm thinking about it!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Bananananana!

I know how to spell Banananana, but not when to stop!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Dave

Hmmm. Bananana and Marmite spread . . .

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 23, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
Ooooo!!! I'll have to try this when I get home. Although in my case it will be Vegemite.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2018, 11:50:10 AM
Ooooo!!! I'll have to try this when I get home. Although in my case it will be Vegemite.

Also try bananana mashed with spices, black pepper, ginger and cinnamon is my favourite combo. Maybe with raw sugar if my tooth is feeling particularly sweet.

Tank

Quote from: Dave on July 23, 2018, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 23, 2018, 11:50:10 AM

Also try bananana mashed with spices, black pepper, ginger and cinnamon is my favourite combo. Maybe with raw sugar if my tooth is feeling particularly sweet.

Which spices?