News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I can't remember the last time I had pepperoni pizza. I'll have to remedy that one of these days. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tom62

Two slices of Pizza Frutti di Mare.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

I just had a chicken salad wrap. Now I need another one but I'm all out of tortillas.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Dave

Gammon shank in mustard/honey sauce.

Hmmmm, mmmmm

xSilverPhinx

At first glance I thought you had written "gammon shark" there, Dave.  :bigspecs:

Icarus

Welll harumph! ....Boiled pea nuts.  My daughter who lives in the state of Georgia where many a pea nut farm holds forth. sent me some "goobers".  We boiled them according to hillbilly recipe.  Damn good they are.

I may have some more conventional food later. 

I suspect that our JJ, the agriculturist mechanical technician night be  familiar with the terms; peanuts, pinders, ground peas, and goobers.  Dragonia too.

Dave

Trouble with peanuts, by the time they get here, they are dried up shsdows of their real selves. Like so much food they spend far too long ''twixt growing and gob.

But, as I found out years ago, if you soak raw, unsalted nuts overnight in the 'fridge they are still crisp, but in a "carrotty" way rather than just hard and crunchy, and actualy taste like peas! Like, I am guessing, fresh peanuts do. I tried this after watching a West Indian friend soak illegally inported caschew nuts and then eating some.

jumbojak

Fresh peanuts aren't like peas Dave. They aren't quite as hard as when roasted but much more like like a carrot, as you say. We grow quite a few peanuts in Virginia but they are a different variety than what's typically found in stores.

It's what farmers here like to call a gourmet peanut, and is much larger and richer than the Spanish runner peanuts everyone is used to. I can usually get them unroasted, but prefer them roasted and salted in the shell.

Freshly dug peanuts also have a wonderful smell. Driving past a field in late August when the diggers are our is always nice. The only other "field" smell that compares is corn on a hot summer night but corn has a much sweeter smell.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on July 04, 2018, 12:46:14 PM
Fresh peanuts aren't like peas Dave. They aren't quite as hard as when roasted but much more like like a carrot, as you say. We grow quite a few peanuts in Virginia but they are a different variety than what's typically found in stores.

It's what farmers here like to call a gourmet peanut, and is much larger and richer than the Spanish runner peanuts everyone is used to. I can usually get them unroasted, but prefer them roasted and salted in the shell.

Freshly dug peanuts also have a wonderful smell. Driving past a field in late August when the diggers are our is always nice. The only other "field" smell that compares is corn on a hot summer night but corn has a much sweeter smell.

To my taste those soaked peanuts tasted like raw peas. This may be a function of travelling and storage altering their chemistry and hydration shifting it again, but they were definitely improved in texture and flavour over the "straight out of the packet" ones.

Ah, a little research indicates that peanuts are in the same family as peas:

QuoteAs a legume, the peanut belongs to the botanical family Fabaceae; this is also known as Leguminosae, and commonly known as the bean, or pea, family.
Wiki

jumbojak

They are in the same family but I was referring to texture more so than taste. A peanut doesn't really have a tender stage like a pea or at least it'd be impractical to harvest them then. Growing underground dictates their harvest.

Bad Penny II

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave