News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Stop the Wall!

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, January 07, 2017, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 29, 2017, 10:16:54 PM
Thanks for the comments.  The goal is to try to convince - someone, anyone.  If I get snarky, that would defeat the purpose.  But believe me, I want to get snarky.  If they actually build it, my tone will be substantially different.
You can do more than one. You can have a polite one and a snarky one under a pseudonym, possibly 'Ecurb Noselrub' :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

Excellent job Bruce, I watched this last night. I really admire the work you've put into this, and hope this will help and assist you in reaching a wider audience along with more supporters.

My son overheard the video last night and came over to watch with me and was impressed.

The idea of a wall is to many I think just that, an idea without any practical or rational thought to the scope of what such a wall would entail...it appeals to the fear-mongering that is so prevalent on the right, have to protect the border, need more guns, etc...

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

I have some spare capital looking for a place to be invested.

So, do I buy shares in Cemex and suppliers of explosives, bolt cutters, battery operated angle grinders, ladders, spring operated line firing systems, anything that will launch drugs packages over a 20ft wall (truck mounted trebuchets?) . . . in Mexico?

:tongue firmly in cheek icon:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

A newspaper article today described the anger that some of our Mexican neighbors have wrought.  Some of the prospective construction contractors have opted not to bid on the project. They are aware that more than a few of their employees will quit. They will quit for several reasons, not the least of which the physical danger caused by angry and prideful Mexicans who might just kill the wall workers, which is a real and present factor.

Homeland Security Agency has asked contractors to submit proposals for a 30 foot high wall that is difficult to climb or cut through. Bids were due by last Wednesday but the deadline was extended to April 4.  Interior secretary Ryan Zinke is quietly resistant to the whole madcap notion of wall building. He has to be a bit cozy about his opposition because his job is on the line.

The Sierra club and wildlife organizations will soon weigh in. Hundreds of wildlife species live within 30 miles of the border area and a fence or wall would do them great harm.  The Mexican wolf and the already threatened jaguars are among the more conspicuous examples.

The wall concept has so many negative implications, including the incredible cost, the aroused opposition by the American landowners whose land borders the Rio Grande,  the environmentalist and naturist opposition,  and the plain old Americans with a modicum of common sense, that this project is doomed. Our Emperor has no clothes....but he does have shit for brains.

Davin

Quote from: Icarus on March 31, 2017, 02:23:55 AM
[...]the physical danger caused by angry and prideful Mexicans who might just kill the wall workers, which is a real and present factor.
What?

I don't think that's a real thing and I couldn't find anything on it that wasn't from shitty alt-right or conservative news sources.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on March 31, 2017, 04:01:09 PM
[...]the physical danger caused by angry and prideful Mexicans who might just kill the wall workers, which is a real and present factor.
What?

I don't think that's a real thing and I couldn't find anything on it that wasn't from shitty alt-right or conservative news sources.

What!?
So now we are rapists, drug dealers, and wall worker murderers!?  Wow!
:picard facepalm:
Jesus Christ!!!

(I didn't think I would have to use the video I posted last night...so early in the morning.) ::)

Davin, help me...

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!

:levitate:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on March 31, 2017, 06:47:38 PM
What?

What!?
Jesus Christ!!!

(I didn't think I would have to use the video I posted last night...so early in the morning.) ::)

Davin, help me...

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on March 31, 2017, 07:10:26 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 31, 2017, 06:47:38 PM
What?

What!?
Jesus Christ!!!

Davin, help me...

:lol:
You're funny, Gloucester.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Dammit Mags and Davin I am only reporting on what I read in the newspaper....no the newspaper was not the National Enquirer.

That the Mexican citizens might be offended by a dumb ass wall is not hard to understand.  Mexicans are people the same as us. They have some degree of pride and dignity, they have a justifiable degree of anger that they would be excluded from the ranks of  law abiding and civilized humans. Goddammit they are not all drug smugglers or rapists. in fact very few of them are.

Magdalena

Quote from: Icarus on April 01, 2017, 12:18:09 AM
Dammit Mags and Davin I am only reporting on what I read in the newspaper....no the newspaper was not the National Enquirer.

That the Mexican citizens might be offended by a dumb ass wall is not hard to understand.  Mexicans are people the same as us. They have some degree of pride and dignity, they have a justifiable degree of anger that they would be excluded from the ranks of  law abiding and civilized humans. Goddammit they are not all drug smugglers or rapists. in fact very few of them are.

It's OK, Icarus, I understand.
I would just like to give this topic, a "face."
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2015/jan/21/migrants-minutemen-dead-bodies-mexico-arizona-usa-border-video

Davin

I understand people might get offended, and that people have pride and dignity, but I think that is pretty big leap to take that all the way to murder. Then even more of a leap to say that it is a real danger as opposed to someone just taking a guess.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on April 03, 2017, 05:04:06 PM

I understand people might get offended, and that people have pride and dignity, but I think that is pretty big leap to take that all the way to murder. Then even more of a leap to say that it is a real danger as opposed to someone just taking a guess.
I agree with you, Davin.
I think the Minutemen are a 'real danger', but no one wants to talk about that...
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2012/investigating-deaths-undocumented-immigrants-border
QuoteThe unsolved murders this April of two undocumented immigrants near Eloy, Ariz., coupled with four remarkably similar 2007 killings in the same area, have again raised the specter of a possible campaign by U.S. vigilantes to murder Latino border crossers. One recently retired police detective warns of "a lot of angry, militant white men on the border sitting like hunters waiting for these people to come across."

Dave

IIRC the guys in that Guardian vudeo ssis they were not seeking a paramilitary confrontstion.

To me they looked somewhat more than just "defensive", with that cam and their weapons and behaviour. OK, csm is as defensive as aggressive, guns can be for self defence - just in case some nasty people pop over the border . . .

Yeah, I'm really convinced . . .

Davin

Dave

Quote from: Davin on April 04, 2017, 02:43:56 PM
And then we have false reports like this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/02/21/texas-hunters-claimed-they-were-shot-by-illegal-aliens-authorities-say-they-shot-each-other/

They shot each other, and then tried to blame it on illegal immigrants.

And so the heady mix of anti-social media with hot-headed people who have access to guns shows us what a great place humans can make this world.