News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by bitter_sweet_symphony, November 16, 2007, 03:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter_sweet_symphony

QuoteNever been back to India and I don't remember too much. I was very young. I spoke Urdu and Gurkali before speaking English. Languages I learned from the various Ayahs and their kids but I can hardly remember a word any more. I have some memories of life and death in Lahore. Right after independence in early 1947 we lived in British officers married quarters in a hotel just outside Lahore (my father was in Nepal and I never saw him again until we got to England). In the hotel we were waited on hand and foot. There was somebody to do just about everything but wipe bottoms. I can remember turbanned bearers standing outside on the verandahs and even the pathetic punkah wallahs and kabari wallahs (is that correct?). My mother, sister and I were in a restaurant in downtown Lahore and rioting erupted. Swarms of people with lathies and swords beating and slashing each other. Our driver ran away (we travelled in a chaufferred vehicle) and we were taken into the kitchen cowered for what seemed hours.. Then I can remember hearing gunfire and the rioting stopped. Police and soldiers had opend fire. We got a ride back home in an army truck. The streets were littered with bodies. Indendence had fully set in this was the onset of India's splitting up because of good ol' religion. Muslims and Hindus fighting each other in the name of a god of love. Back at the hotel all the staff had absconded and there was no electricity.We lived like this for a few few weeks before being moved to an embarkation camp at a place called Doolally. It was a hell hole. I don't remember too much because I was so young but I vividly remember the massacre in Lahore and life in Doolally.
There are lots of stories about Doolally but I can't find it on any map. Have you heard of it?
You've really got me spouting.

Hmmm... the 1947 riots. It was unfortunate that India-Pakistan's Independence was marked by riots. I hear that my grand parents (when they were young) were displaced during the riots and nearly died while leaving. They ran into a rioting mob. The army rescued them.

But who are the kabari wallahs? There used to be money lenders from Afghanistan here in India, they were called kabuliwallahs, cause they were from Kabul. Haven't heard of Doolally, though. Will check out the local maps. Was it near Lahore?

McWogg

British military personnel did not pronounce words properly and a lot of Indian words got changed around over the years. The kabari wallah did laundry, cleaned shoes and did other menial jobs. A kabari wallah was shared by several families. He was usually just a 'chokera' or boy. Is that right?  Kansama, was that the cook?
Re. the embarkation camp. Doolally or Dlali is just how it sounded. It must have been in the vicinity of 'Bombay' . This was a facility where non commissioned military personnel and families in transit were accomodated upon arrival from and transport to the U.K.. The higher ups such as officers and families were not accomodated in these kinds of places but we were there because of the emergency. It was a hell hole because  the rooves were corrugated iron and the quarters were like ovens. We couldn't sleep and one night my mother moved our beds out onto the verandah to escape the heat. In the morning there were paw prints all around our beds where a panther had strolled around during the night (I remember one time being in the hospital in Lahore and there were mongooses (mongeese?) walking on my bed).
There are many Indian words that slipped into the general English language that came back with the army from India. How about verandah and pyjamas? Being "Doollally tap" meant you had been driven mad. Maybe it's the name of the Barracks itself.
BLIGHTY, the Army word for Britain and came from Welioti. Does that make sense?
Our news reports terrorist bombing going on in India. I hope you're safe.
AY