A few miscellaneous thoughts about the imminent demise of Big Bang Theory:

Started by Rift Zone, March 19, 2018, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

RZ, when you first started on HAF, I was pleased that we seemed to have a physicist in our midst.  You may recall I asked you about the proton radius problem.  I was looking forward to some interesting discussions about the new frontiers of physics.  Tank will tell you that he and I spent a pleasant afternoon a couple of years ago in his front room discussing the possibility of a new revolution in physics.  This is something that interests me greatly.  Unfortunately you then decided to launch several long, meandering rants denouncing much of modern physics and expounding at length about how smart you are and proclaiming your new revolutionary theories, except you steadfastly refuse to explain exactly what your new theories are, nor to present any actual evidence in support of those theories.  Instead you embarked on what looks exactly the same as the mindless rantings of any everyday fundamentalist/creationist who claims to know The Truth™, using much the same approach as used by IDers: denigrate the opposition, claim to have found holes in the accepted theory, claim their idea answers all the questions totally without the slightest bit of evidence.  Many of us on this site have a lot of experience dealing with this sort of approach.  I have stayed largely away from your threads until I was sure of what sort of editor you would prove to be.  You have shown your colours and I am unimpressed.  Instead of shedding some light on the great mysteries of the universe, your arguments are rather pedestrian self aggrandisement and without the slightest bit of intellectual rigour.  They are big on telling us all how good they are, but very thin on actual substantive content.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Rift Zone

Quote from: Tank on March 24, 2018, 07:42:36 AM
Quote from: Rift Zone on March 23, 2018, 09:44:58 PM
I didnt attack anyone i made a comment pertaining to making sport of fools.   ...
Come on! By implicatin that is a personal attack on anybody here who disagrees with your view. And therefore breaks the civility rules of the forum. I know arguing with Davin is like trying to scratch haemorrhoids, which is why I can't be bothered to engauge with him in debate anymore. Just add him to your ignore list and you won't see his comments anymore. Problem solved.
We can disagree while remaining civil and adhering to code of conduct becoming of ladies and gentlemen.   I've never got anywhere near attacking someone for merely disagreeing with my view and my record shows exactly that.    The record shows the only ones I've made sport of attacked me first, and would have never been subjected to it if they just left me the fuck alone. 

Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2018, 08:44:31 AM
Rift Zone, had you been more accurate in your use of English regarding plasma then 75% or more of this thread would probably not have happened.

I say "probably" because I agree with Tank regarding arguing with our Davin. Chances are Davin would have found something else to chew on!

You will have to qualify your arguments precisely, offering unassailable evidence, to get anyone with a brain to accrpt it. Wish you luck, you have work to do.
lol   you want to blame that on me?   it cant be cuz you guys are vile people   That's awefully thin Dave.   taking cues from the US Prez?  That is really pathetic that of all my text that is the one place you guys focus on.   It betrays the precarious stance of my opposition.     

Davin is getting his butt handed to him.   He'll see more of that if he persists. 

Quote from: Bluenose on March 24, 2018, 10:15:18 AM
RZ, when you first started on HAF, I was pleased that we seemed to have a physicist in our midst.  You may recall I asked you about the proton radius problem.  I was looking forward to some interesting discussions about the new frontiers of physics.  Tank will tell you that he and I spent a pleasant afternoon a couple of years ago in his front room discussing the possibility of a new revolution in physics.  This is something that interests me greatly.  Unfortunately you then decided to launch several long, meandering rants denouncing much of modern physics and expounding at length about how smart you are and proclaiming your new revolutionary theories, except you steadfastly refuse to explain exactly what your new theories are, nor to present any actual evidence in support of those theories.  Instead you embarked on what looks exactly the same as the mindless rantings of any everyday fundamentalist/creationist who claims to know The Truth™, using much the same approach as used by IDers: denigrate the opposition, claim to have found holes in the accepted theory, claim their idea answers all the questions totally without the slightest bit of evidence.  Many of us on this site have a lot of experience dealing with this sort of approach.  I have stayed largely away from your threads until I was sure of what sort of editor you would prove to be.  You have shown your colours and I am unimpressed.  Instead of shedding some light on the great mysteries of the universe, your arguments are rather pedestrian self aggrandisement and without the slightest bit of intellectual rigour.  They are big on telling us all how good they are, but very thin on actual substantive content.
Do you think your whiny opinion of me or your bullshit assessment of the situation changes anything?  If you could evaluate the situation independent of troglodytes, you'd see there is scientific merit to what I say, and you're full of shit and you know.   Refuse to explain?  SMH.    Let's make this very clear: genius doesn't care what linear thinkers think.   You don't have the capacity to know what I'm capable of, much less the capacity to reformat your entire understanding of the universe in your mind all at once, as Nova asks you to do.   So if you want explanation, ask for it.  if you want to bitch, think very carefully about Newton, Einstein, Tesla and the like, cuz you matter as much to me as you would to them.    I mean block me already, throw it in the pseudo-section, stop with the drama queen stuff and just discount my science already if it as much crap as you say, maybe even ask a question so you can actually know more about WTF is going on, or stay the fuck out of my way, but don't think you're actually accomplishing anything with a rant. 
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Rift Zone, I care about keeping the peace here, so I asked Davin to refrain from mocking you, which he did, and asked you to exert some more self-control in your responses, which you failed to do and show no indication of doing in the future. By attacking other members you are effectively breaking the rules of this site.

Therefore, consider this your first official warning. 

It's a pity...whether you're crazy, a genius, or something else, I believe you could contribute some interesting topics to this forum.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Rift Zone

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 24, 2018, 01:04:10 PM
Rift Zone, I care about keeping the peace here, so I asked Davin to refrain from mocking you, which he did, and asked you to exert some more self-control in your responses, which you failed to do and show no indication of doing in the future. By attacking other members you are effectively breaking the rules of this site.

Therefore, consider this your first official warning. 

It's a pity...whether you're crazy, a genius, or something else, I believe you could contribute some interesting topics to this forum.
Yes, ma'am.

Hopefully this is the victory my fans have been looking for.    I'm not all that?  -that's right, i'm not all that.  I'm merely mother nature's bitch; that's all I am.   But now you will have to take it up with her!    I like that line about present legit conflicting science or be coddled; probably spam that. 
In the last few millennia we have made the most astonishing and unexpected discoveries about the Cosmos and our place within it, explorations that are exhilarating to consider. They remind us that humans have evolved to wonder, that understanding is a joy, that knowledge is prerequisite to survival.   -Carl Sagan

Rift Zone

So....   you know the way this thread played out is tied to spirituality, right?      Science kinda is a religious equivalent for atheists.    As explained elsewhere, what we find there gets bound to identity.   Now, if we were really fair about the situation, we might see most of the interaction was not as "sciency" as it was purported to be.  Also, take Archaic Crust Theory, for instance, it's a dead thread because it's a fairly insignificant thing.   But challenge the most cherished, literally, theories of the modern age, and people get real funny about it, specially atheists, because it ties them to the universe, so they tie themselves to it.   Which is why there's barely ever a rational discussion when raising these notions.   -hard for atheists to reformat that, just like believers.    anyway, jus sayn.

Bluenose

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 24, 2018, 12:36:42 PM
Quote from: Bluenose on March 24, 2018, 10:15:18 AM
Do you think your whiny opinion of me or your bullshit assessment of the situation changes anything?  If you could evaluate the situation independent of troglodytes, you'd see there is scientific merit to what I say, and you're full of shit and you know.   Refuse to explain?  SMH.    Let's make this very clear: genius doesn't care what linear thinkers think.   You don't have the capacity to know what I'm capable of, much less the capacity to reformat your entire understanding of the universe in your mind all at once, as Nova asks you to do.   So if you want explanation, ask for it.  if you want to bitch, think very carefully about Newton, Einstein, Tesla and the like, cuz you matter as much to me as you would to them.    I mean block me already, throw it in the pseudo-section, stop with the drama queen stuff and just discount my science already if it as much crap as you say, maybe even ask a question so you can actually know more about WTF is going on, or stay the fuck out of my way, but don't think you're actually accomplishing anything with a rant.

I tried very hard to avoid making any sort of personal attack. Generally Australians only bother to insult people they like, so meh....

However, it would seem that you do not feel so constrained and you have been appropriately admonished for it.  Fine.  Now, can we get away from the self praise and dismissive comments about other contributors here?  I have already asked you for an explanation, but perhaps my words were not clear enough, so please tell us what exactly are you talking about.  You say you have a new revolution in physics, well show us.  What evidence that disproves the current theories do you have?  How is your hypothesis a better explanation?  In what way does Occam's razor apply to your ideas?  It is not sufficient for you to simply say it is so, you need to back your comments up.  You need to demonstrate that you are correct, not just assert it.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Rift Zone

Quote from: Bluenose on March 25, 2018, 12:08:41 AM

I tried very hard to avoid making any sort of personal attack. Generally Australians only bother to insult people they like, so meh....

However, it would seem that you do not feel so constrained and you have been appropriately admonished for it.  Fine.  Now, can we get away from the self praise and dismissive comments about other contributors here?  I have already asked you for an explanation, but perhaps my words were not clear enough, so please tell us what exactly are you talking about.  You say you have a new revolution in physics, well show us.  What evidence that disproves the current theories do you have?  How is your hypothesis a better explanation?  In what way does Occam's razor apply to your ideas?  It is not sufficient for you to simply say it is so, you need to back your comments up.  You need to demonstrate that you are correct, not just assert it.
The OP of the Nova and Time threads would be  pertinent examples of what I'm talking about.   For civil discussion, I prefer leaving what I have at "more comprehensive and aligns with observation better" than the things it challenges; that's descriptive enough.   the Nova thread outlines the evidence for that one.   I suggest we start there and deal with Time later.  Occam's razor cuts dark matter and dark energy from the universe in Nova.   

Bluenose

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 25, 2018, 02:39:10 AM
The OP of the Nova and Time threads would be  pertinent examples of what I'm talking about.   For civil discussion, I prefer leaving what I have at "more comprehensive and aligns with observation better" than the things it challenges; that's descriptive enough.   the Nova thread outlines the evidence for that one.   I suggest we start there and deal with Time later.  Occam's razor cuts dark matter and dark energy from the universe in Nova.

So, I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt and I went back and re-read your first post in the nova thread.  What did I find?  Assertion after assertion.  Many times you claim the existing theories fail, but other than your bare claim, you do not provide any evidence in supportt.  Instead, you assume your interpretation is correct and then use this assumption to underpin your entire argument.  This is known in the logic racket as begging the question.  As a result, your entire post is really indistinguishable from gibberish.  You seem to believe that you are the only person intelligent enough to understand what you are saying.  I offer an alternative explanation, the reason no one "understands" your ideas is because they are nonsense.  Other people are not stupid just because they do not agree with you.  What you are effectively saying is that the whole corpus of modern scientific thought WRT physics is wrong and you, alone, are right.  I recommend you consider the Dunning-Kruger effect and how it might apply to arm-chair "physicists" seeking to overturn the last couple of centuries of work, by the greatest minds of the time, simply by saying it is so.

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Bluenose on March 25, 2018, 04:07:19 AM
I recommend you consider the Dunning-Kruger effect and how it might apply to arm-chair "physicists" seeking to overturn the last couple of centuries of work by the greatest minds of the time simply by saying it is so.

The Dunning-Kruger effect sounds like a plausible diagnosis in this case.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Rift Zone

Cool, you guys can get over it then.   Apparently my science is worthless so yours faces no threat and you can rest assured your understanding of the cosmos will stand for all time.   

Rift Zone

besides, I only got to talking about science to show you spirituality exists within you.   ...that you seem to have emotional investment in all this, even though it's not your field, magnitudes beyond your level of concern for bits of information not pertaining to your being.   

I officially concede the science discussion.   I concede all my points to my adept victors, congratulations on your victory. 

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 24, 2018, 01:50:05 PM
Science kinda is a religious equivalent for atheists.
No. It's not. Science is science. Science is not in any way a religion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Dave on March 24, 2018, 08:44:31 AM
Chances are Davin would have found something else to chew on!
Yeah, there were a lot of things Rift Zone said that was wrong, I decided to limit what I addressed to a few at a time.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Rift Zone

Not surprising to see you here Davin...    I kinda figured your sportsmanship would be on par with your science.    Congratulations on your victory!   

Davin

Quote from: Rift Zone on March 26, 2018, 06:01:25 PM
Not surprising to see you here Davin...[...]
It's not surprising to anyone who has noticed that my posting habits exclude nights and weekends.