News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reflecting how lucky I really am.

Started by TheJackel, July 08, 2010, 04:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJackel

Tonight I sit here gazing in my own thoughts of how lucky I am to have a mother who sacrificed her daily life to be the mother of two children without the help of my father. This may seem overly revealing, or emotional, but I had just finished watching the movie "Where The Wild Things Are".. Needless to say, this movie struck close to home as nearly a reflection of my own life as a young boy angry at the world and how unfair it was, or at least seemed to be. Like in the movie, I was a crazy and overly hyper kid looking for attention regardless of how I got it. My sister being a year older than me didn't make things any easier either, we fought like wild things over the most petty of things just to garnish mother's attention. So at the end of the movie Max realizes how lucky he really is, and how much his mother really loves him, to this has made my heart weigh in heavily on my excitement to going back home in August to visit my family to whom I have not seen in over a year.  I couldn't help but tear up at the end of this movie, and reflect on how much I miss my family. :frown:

BTW, "Where The Wild Things Are", is probably the best family oriented movie I have seen in ages! I haven't seen a movie like this since "The Never Ending Story".. If you haven't seen it, GET YOUR BUTT TO THE MOVIE STORE!

Amnesiac2389

The older I get, the more I realize how much my parents did for me as child.

TheJackel

Quote from: "Amnesiac2389"The older I get, the more I realize how much my parents did for me as child.

Yeah, I can't believe how ignorantly arrogant and selfish I was when I was a child.  :)

Tank

Quote from: "Amnesiac2389"The older I get, the more I realize how much my parents did for me as child.
Unfortunately I'm getting more and more ambivalent to my parent's attitudes nowadays. Having brought up my own family my wife has shown me just who dysfunctional my own upbringing was. Fortunately we seem to have avoided their mistakes with our kids.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

TheOGMamaBear

My parents were sometimes wonderful to me and othertimes not. It's confusing but I try to be thankful I had them both.
My husband came from a broken home and was raised by his father who worked a lot and was rarely around and very depressed. I see how that affects him and it makes me more determined to raise my the best we can with both their parents working together.
"The gods offer no rewards for intellect. There was never one yet that showed any interest in it."

Don't we all love Mark Twain?

karadan

The older i get, the more ashamed i feel at how i treated my family when i was young, especially my parents.

:shake:
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Thumpalumpacus

Like all parents, mine were human.  I learned long ago to appreciate their good points and to accept their flaws.  What else can we do?

I hope you get to see your family again soon, Jack.  I know what it's like to be far from them, and I feel for you.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Katieâ„¢

Now that I have kids I look back on some of the things I said to my parents and it nearly breaks my heart. Typical teen things like "mom, you're so embarrassing" or "please don't sit BY us in the movie". Im certain that stung and I dread the day when my kids say them to me. As my mom always said "Just wait till you have kids!"  :D
There is also the big things that I took for granted growing up. The expensive clothes or the spending money, as a kid you just dont know how hard it really is to be able to afford just living, let alone extras. My parents were/are hard workers.
I also never understood why my parents divorced. Cant you just get along and love each other? Marriage is hard, raising a family is hard, I get now that my parents did the right thing for everyone involved. They made a clean separation, never talked shit about each other. They are both remarried and happy, they can hang out with each other and their spouses for parties, weddings, no awkwardness or drama. It's really the best thing I could have ever hoped for.

Sophus

Oh, how I wish I had had your parents.  :D
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Magdalena

Parents? What is that? I was raised by an atheist grandfather he was 70 years old when he started raising me, and by my uncle. I was so lucky to have them. They gave me so much love, I didn't even notice I didn't have parents as I was growing up. You want to talk about luck? I was the luckiest girl in the world, how many girls do you know that were raised by two men?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant