News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Closet Atheist

Started by YoungAtheist, July 31, 2011, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungAtheist

Hey guys, YoungAtheist again, and I have something to admit. For some time now I have been a closet atheist. To you guys I am full out atheist, but my mom would start yelling at me if I told her I was an Atheist, this I know, she did it to my brother. But anyways I just wanted to say this to you guys.
There was a time then religion ruled all of Europe, this was called the Dark Ages.

Tank

Don't fret about your world view, time will help you understand where your future lies and how to relate to your family and friends.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

That really sucks, but as stated before in other threads, some people just want to remain ignorant in their cozy little bubbles.  I would just ignore it unless they are directly imposing on someone's rights.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Recusant

I don't see any problem with being less than open about your atheism, given the situation that you're living in right now.  There are generally enough conflicts between a young person and their parents as it is; unless you feel strongly compelled to confront your mother with it, why add atheism to the mix right now?  Some would do it simply to add another note of conflict and rebellion. If you don't feel the need to do that, and don't want the added stress it would entail, don't worry about it.  There may come a time when you think it's appropriate to tell your mother, but that might be years down the road.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken