News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Living As Atheist?

Started by Exponential, November 22, 2010, 02:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

quote author=Extropian link=topic=6230.msg118808#msg118808 date=1310336164
quote author=Asmodean link=topic=6230.msg118763#msg118763 date=1310283531
/quote

For a long post I find it easiest to use the quote button and then cutting the whole thing into Word, the reply box is a bit small.

I've removed these brackets from the above [ ], once you have the quote with "quotee" named you can just copy and paste it as required, remebering to add the /quote when the quote is complete.

Control C, Control X and Control V are your friends, I recommend getting to know them.

Extropian

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on July 11, 2011, 02:35:56 AM
quote author=Extropian link=topic=6230.msg118808#msg118808 date=1310336164
quote author=Asmodean link=topic=6230.msg118763#msg118763 date=1310283531
/quote

For a long post I find it easiest to use the quote button and then cutting the whole thing into Word, the reply box is a bit small.

I've removed these brackets from the above [ ], once you have the quote with "quotee" named you can just copy and paste it as required, remebering to add the /quote when the quote is complete.

Control C, Control X and Control V are your friends, I recommend getting to know them.

Indeed, the standard quote box is too small for extensive C&P. After so many lines of type it seems to protest at expanding and jumps all over the place. I've never encountered this feature in any other group. It is a gross discourtesy of management that they should expect members to endure this restrictive measure.

To the Magic Pudding; I thank him for taking the effort to explain. But the instructions are as clear as mud to me. I've had no similar difficulties with any other group, and am surprised somewhat that members put up with a management so niggardly in providing services to members. There is a strong impression that management see their rules and restrictions as more important than fostering the exchange of ideas and opinions by whatever means the writer chooses.

I'm not contrite over whether Asmodean et al are offended by my method of posting. But I do regret that they find it next to impossible to understand what I write simply because it is in a slightly different format.

I thank members for their fellowship during my brief sojourn here and wish everyone well for the future.

Extropian

Few nations have been so poor as to have but one god. Gods were made so easily, and the raw material cost so little, that generally the god market was fairly glutted and heaven crammed with these phantoms.
Robert Green Ingersoll
Read more: http://www.brainy

Whitney

Quote from: Extropian on July 11, 2011, 11:27:06 PM
Indeed, the standard quote box is too small for extensive C&P. After so many lines of type it seems to protest at expanding and jumps all over the place. I've never encountered this feature in any other group. It is a gross discourtesy of management that they should expect members to endure this restrictive measure

There is nothing wrong with the way quotes work here; it is the standard method used on all internet forums [quote]qutoed text [/quote].  

It's not anyone's fault other than your own if you can't figure it out.

Anyway, consider this a warning for being uncivil towards 'management'; you need a big attitude change.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Extropian on July 10, 2011, 11:16:04 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on July 10, 2011, 08:38:51 AM
Could you please try using the quote system, please..?  8)

I'm a regular contributor to around 6 groups and a member of twice that number [some of these latter are almost inactive by any measure]. None has complained about my method of posting.

It seems that management and a few supporters have difficulty making sense of the method I resort to sometimes. If I knew how to use the quote system in place here I might be persuaded to go that way. But I don't and I'm of a demeanour that disinclines me from taking the trouble to do so. It is a puzzlement to me exactly why management is so grotesquely committed to uniformity. Do the rules of membership demand it? No other group, of which I am a member, does.

If the membership in general finds my posts unintelligible then kindly advise me. If my contributions are unworthy and fail to meet the esoteric demands of management kindly advise me. If the layout of my posts arouses high moral dudgeon and offends management's notion of good order and freedom of expression kindly advise me.

If it is necessary to the continuing prosperity of HAF that I depart from your excellent group then kindly advise me. No single member can be more important than the group. So if your decision is to dispense with my contributions kindly advise me. All I ask is that you allow me to depart voluntarily.  

I think you're exaggerating here. The quote system is to help visually organise a post and makes for easier reading. Otherwise it looks a bit like a wall of text.

I don't have any problems with people not using the quote system, but those are just my 2 cents.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Indeed, the standard quote box is too small for extensive C&P. After so many lines of type it seems to protest at expanding and jumps all over the place. I've never encountered this feature in any other group. It is a gross discourtesy of management that they should expect members to endure this restrictive measure.

Do you notice the long red line with brackets is copied to break the quote in two, allowing me to address a bit at a time?  The /quote text also needs to be copied.

To the Magic Pudding; I thank him for taking the effort to explain. But the instructions are as clear as mud to me. I've had no similar difficulties with any other group, and am surprised somewhat that members put up with a management so niggardly in providing services to members. There is a strong impression that management see their rules and restrictions as more important than fostering the exchange of ideas and opinions by whatever means the writer chooses.

When you finish select the whole document by pressing Ctr A then Ctrl C
Then it can be pasted via Control V into the browser text box, ready to be posted.

Oh and another thing, I think its poor form, rude and bad manners to criticise people who provide a gift of their time, frustration with technology only excuses so much.

Davin

Quote from: Extropian on July 10, 2011, 11:16:04 PMNone has complained about my method of posting.
This statement is demonstrably wrong due to at least one person (the person you're replying to), complaining about your method of posting. Not to mention that people had previously complained about your method of posting. Perhaps many other people complained and you ignored and/or forgot like you had on this forum.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.