News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

"Confessions of an Atheist Witch"

Started by Sandra Craft, October 15, 2018, 03:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

I had thought to put this in the Religion section, but then recalled that the author insists her form of witchcraft is not religious.  I found the blog post interesting tho I'm not sure of the history, and the rituals she describes would give me a giggling fit if I tried them.  Nevertheless, I think separating religion/spirituality from the supernatural is a step in the right direction.

Confessions of an Atheist Witch

I think the real questions here are: is magic just undiscovered science, and/or is magic just a fancy way of describing re-arranging ones perceptions and attitudes?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 15, 2018, 03:35:56 AMI think the real questions here are: is magic just undiscovered science, and/or is magic just a fancy way of describing re-arranging ones perceptions and attitudes?

I'd say some from column A and some from column B. The qualities of some herbs previously thought to be magical have been borne out by science, for instance. As well there is little doubt that sincerely engaging in ritual behavior can influence perception and reinforce or destabilize emotional balance, etc.

A worthwhile article all in all--thank you for posting it!  :D
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Icarus

I liked it Sandy.  There is some interesting, perhaps even useful, text in that article.