News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Attraction(s) -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, September 24, 2017, 04:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 09:48:17 PM
Quote from: Dave on October 12, 2017, 05:00:41 PM
I once heard of a doctor in Malaydia who kept his most important books in the fridge, along with his drugs!  Careful though, super dryness can make paper brittle.

In the fridge? Why there? :lol:

I doubt it will ever get too dry here.

Au contraire!
1. Make a sealable, well insulated cabinet.
2. Place in that cabinet a small panel which is below  freezing, plus a thermostat that prevents the air awsy ftom that panel ftom falling below 3 or 4 degrees.
3. Close the cabinet and wait for the internal temperature to stop falling.
4. Now place in the cabinet a piece of damp paper.
5. Since the air away from the above panel is above freezing the water in the paper will slowly evaporate.
6. That water vapour will condense on the coldest part of the system - that freezing panel - where it will be held as ice.
5. Thus the paper slowly dries out.

We had an enviromental chamber at work that could be controlled between minus 40 and plus 90 degrees. If the temperature was set to +60 ish and the fridge unit turned on as well an orange, placed in the stream of heated air, would dry out completrly in 24 hours. The heat evaporated the moisture, the fridge part condensed and trapped it it. This is the basis of "freeze drying" for food for preservation (without actually cooking it or spending day's worth of slow heat energy or risk contamination/bacterial growth in fairly slow sun drying . . .) etc.

Try leaving sonething like a bell pepper in the fridge for a couple of weeks, it will gradually wrinkle as it dries out.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

^ Interesting. :chin:

Though I don't think it'll work for books, there is the financial aspect to consider. :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2017, 10:28:57 PM
^ Interesting. :chin:

Though I don't think it'll work for books, there is the financial aspect to consider. :P

Yes, you need to pay for the energy to run the fridge. In principle it is the same as the dehudifier I use to dry my laundry in the winter (I have no room for a tumble drier, no yard and it also dries out the bathroom comlletely and reduces mould growth) and what archives use to protect their papers.

Biggus Dickus

Congratulations Hermes, your photo of the bookshelf was excellent, it certainly earned one of my votes. Well done! 8)...some interesting titles on there as well I must say.

I rotated the picture so I could read them and saw the following titles on Hermes bookshelf:

WHO CARES ABOUT ELDERLY PEOPLE?
DOES GOD EVER SPEAK THROUGH CATS?
WHOSE BOTTOM IS THIS?
SUN-BEAMS MAY BE EXTRACTED FROM CUCUMBERS, BUT THE PROCESS IS TEDIOUS
HOW GREEN WERE THE NAZIS?: NATURE, ENVIRONMENT, AND NATION IN THE THIRD REICH
HOW TO TEACH PHYSICS TO YOUR DOG
DATING FOR UNDER A DOLLAR: 301 IDEAS
BODY BUILDERS IN TUTUS
LIBERACE: YOUR PERSONAL FASHION CONSULTANT
LIVING WITH CRAZY BUTTOCKS
THE BOOK OF MARMALADE: ITS ANTECEDENTS, ITS HISTORY, AND ITS ROLE IN THE WORLD TODAY
THE STRAY SHOPPING CARTS OF EASTERN NORTH AMERICA: A GUIDE TO FIELD IDENTIFICATION
PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THEY'RE DEAD: HOW THEY ATTACH THEMSELVES TO UNSUSPECTING BYSTANDERS AND WAHT TO DO ABOUT IT
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Lark

A bit late, but here are the attractions in my photos:

1. Lindisfarne Castle

7. The Alps near Grenoble, France

11. One of the smaller fountains at Versailles

15. Padrão dos Descobrimentos (Monument of the Discoveries) on the River Tagus in Lisbon

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 13, 2017, 07:47:03 PM
Congratulations Hermes, your photo of the bookshelf was excellent, it certainly earned one of my votes. Well done! 8)...some interesting titles on there as well I must say.

I rotated the picture so I could read them and saw the following titles on Hermes bookshelf:

WHOSE BOTTOM IS THIS?
BODY BUILDERS IN TUTUS
THE BOOK OF MARMALADE: ITS ANTECEDENTS, ITS HISTORY, AND ITS ROLE IN THE WORLD TODAY
THE STRAY SHOPPING CARTS OF EASTERN NORTH AMERICA: A GUIDE TO FIELD IDENTIFICATION
PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THEY'RE DEAD: HOW THEY ATTACH THEMSELVES TO UNSUSPECTING BYSTANDERS AND WAHT TO DO ABOUT IT
:lol:
You're funny, Father.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 13, 2017, 07:47:03 PM

WHOSE BOTTOM IS THIS?
BODY BUILDERS IN TUTUS

You have excellent eyesight. Some of those are first editions, signed by the authors. My submission was just a part of the whole bookshelf, but I plan to post a pic of the entire one in a day or so. Who would have thought that simple little photo of some books would cause so much response?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 14, 2017, 05:43:47 AM
... Who would have thought that simple little photo of some books would cause so much response?
Well, this is an atheist forum, and you know...
"Nitpicky? Hell yes."
;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

... My submission was just a part of the whole bookshelf, but I plan to post a pic of the entire one in a day or so. Who would have thought that simple little photo of some books would cause so much response?

Nothing "simple" about people's choice of books, Hermes!

Ben Jonson said, "Language best shows a man, speak that I might know you." Could say something similar about book choice.

hermes2015

Quote from: Magdalena on October 14, 2017, 06:16:06 AM
... Who would have thought that simple little photo of some books would cause so much response?
Well, this is an atheist forum, and you know...
"Nitpicky? Hell yes."
;D

Yes, that makes sense.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Dragonia might like the Livraria Cultura megastore in São Paulo.  ;D

Dragonia

Oh fantastic! And inspiring! YES, I love it. Not only books, but serpentine creature sculpture... beautiful!
Except.... um.... do they have an English section? If not, I'd have to find The Picture Book section.  ;D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on October 15, 2017, 12:57:51 AM
Oh fantastic! And inspiring! YES, I love it. Not only books, but serpentine creature sculpture... beautiful!
Except.... um.... do they have an English section? If not, I'd have to find The Picture Book section.  ;D

They do have an English section, although it's a section that has been shrinking over the years.  :sad sigh: Nowadays, if you want to read a book in English you would have to order it online, then wait about a month for it to arrive (except when they have the book in stock elsewhere in Brazil) and, added to that, sometimes you purchase a book, wait the full month and get an email saying that they couldn't locate a copy to import.

:Gaah:

It's a difficult life, the life of someone who depends on megastores to import books they want to read in their original language.