News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Tech help

Started by Dave, January 27, 2017, 10:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

How's about you pay your next visit to old sneezy wearing a surgical mask and gloves, FB?

:devil2:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Today when I accessed the HAF forum, the first thing I got was a full screen popup that is a survey or opinion poll about HAF. It offered me a chance to win $50.  I closed that screen and later shut off the computer. Now that I have later restarted the computer, dialed HAF, the same polling screen popped up.

Q: is that something the HAF is doing or is it some kind of scam that preys on poor old slobs like me?  I suspect the latter.

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on April 17, 2017, 01:29:36 AM
Today when I accessed the HAF forum, the first thing I got was a full screen popup that is a survey or opinion poll about HAF. It offered me a chance to win $50.  I closed that screen and later shut off the computer. Now that I have later restarted the computer, dialed HAF, the same polling screen popped up.

Q: is that something the HAF is doing or is it some kind of scam that preys on poor old slobs like me?  I suspect the latter.

It hasn't done it for me so I suspect scam
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tank

Quote from: Icarus on April 17, 2017, 01:29:36 AM

Scam. Nothing to do with HAF. If HAF organised something like this we'd tell people it is happening before we did it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Than you. I suspected some scheme that would try to sell me a bible, a penis enlarging scheme. or stock in a wildcat oil drilling venture.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on April 17, 2017, 06:46:30 PM
Than you. I suspected some scheme that would try to sell me a bible, a penis enlarging scheme. or stock in a wildcat oil drilling venture.

Whereabouts do they drill for wild cats then!  :notsure:

OldGit

No, Glos - they drill things using wildcat oil as a lubricant.  It is said to work well.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on April 18, 2017, 08:05:27 PM
No, Glos - they drill things using wildcat oil as a lubricant.  It is said to work well.

Ah, they drill the oil out of the wildcats?

Icarus

Tech guys...Help!!!
At some time in the past my windows 8 system was seized by the evil Microsoft villains. They installed Widows 10 on my PC without my permission, blessing, or method of stopping the uninvited invasion.

In fact I got along well enough with 10. It has some features that are useful or at least useful if I knew how to use them.  Never mind that part. ....It comes to pass that a standard Win 8 built in  program could and did transfer photos from the cameras HDSC card to the PC. That facility has been corrupted by the change from 8 to 10. An unintended flaw in the 10 system.When I explore that malady I find that it is a common flaw.

I have looked all over the place to find a program (app) that I could install to fix the transfer problem. All the apps that I find, promise to transfer I-phone photos to the PC but not from the camera or the card to the PC. I used to use Picasa but that is now considered obsolete and no longer supported by Google or whoever the proprietor is/was.

Is there any hope for my poor ignorant self?  Must I buy a new PC, abandon my former ability to transfer photos and subsequently post them, or take to heavier drinking?

Dave

This is a weird one, Icarus, but the sort of thing that increases my hatred of Microshit.

I seem to remember that my new laptop would not recognise SD cards for a while but cannot remember the fix unfortunately.

However, related to this. Later I found it was not recognising a new archive drive either. In fact it would not recognise the old drive that had worked perfectly with the old W10 laptop. After a bit if investigation I found that my Avira security software was blocking them. It was generating a dialogue box - but it was hidden behind any open windows, including "File manager"! Once I found that I ticked the "always connect" type box and it worked OK thereafter.

Check in you security level settings to see if W10 has set them at max as a default. Check for "hidden" dialogue boxes from your security software as well if you can.

hermes2015

Icarus, I would like to help, but I have no experience with the iphone. I have come across this site: https://www.imore.com/how-transfer-your-iphone-and-ipad-photos-windows-10

It may help.

I would also check the security settings.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Thank you gentlemen. 

I am suspicious of the anti virus app that I am using. AVAST has been particularly picky about what it would allow to enter the PC. I will work on the process of persuading Avast to allow photo loading.

Dave

Anybody having problems posting Imgur links? I can get a link OK but the image does not appear in preview or on posting.

No error messages.

Dave

Ah! Think I have found the problem, for some reason the file extendion .jpg is not being attached to the link.