News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Trying to figure out how to get this new Graphpad program (Prism 8 ) do statistics for me.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Downloaded another statistics program (IBM SPSS) which ironically does not have an as intuitive interface as Graphpad Prism but it's easier to work with. Nothing like watching 628263 online tutorials. I'm feeling a little burnt out though. And very anxious. I just want this phase to end. 

billy rubin

yo, spss stil exists?

i used that and bmdp

i recommend SAS

had to code em in FORTRAN JCL

//SYSIN DD * !!!!!!!!!!!

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 18, 2020, 11:41:58 PM
yo, spss stil exists?

i used that and bmdp

i recommend SAS

had to code em in FORTRAN JCL

//SYSIN DD * !!!!!!!!!!!

Sure does!

SAS sounds difficult, not too sure about that one :lol:

billy rubin

well, i confess that the "recent" PC versions post-date my experience, but the old IBM MVS/CMS mainframe SAS versions were vastly easier to code than either SPSS or BMDP.

as an example, i once was in too much of a hurry to figure out how to use the general linear models program to input a linear regression, and so just used the SAS datasets manipulation application to code a least-squares regression from scratch, complete with residuals.

it was that easy.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 19, 2020, 12:04:34 AM
well, i confess that the "recent" PC versions post-date my experience, but the old IBM MVS/CMS mainframe SAS versions were vastly easier to code than either SPSS or BMDP.

as an example, i once was in too much of a hurry to figure out how to use the general linear models program to input a linear regression, and so just used the SAS datasets manipulation application to code a least-squares regression from scratch, complete with residuals.

it was that easy.

:la la la la: Stat speak!

billy rubin

xSilverPhinx

I'm just joking. I enjoy analyzing data...when it works out. :grin: I wish I knew more about statistics, though.

billy rubin

sometimes you can benefit from a discussion with someone in the math department. they might have a multi/univariate person who wishes he had something new to think about.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on February 19, 2020, 01:07:46 AM
sometimes you can benefit from a discussion with someone in the math department. they might have a multi/univariate person who wishes he had something new to think about.

Well, there is the Statistics department...:chin:

Kusa

I'm grumpy because I'm catching a cold. Hopefully it's not corona.

Dark Lightning

Pssh. Looking at the statistics, it's way less lethal than influenza. I don't understand the hype, to be honest. I'd actually hope that it was the corona virus.

Kusa

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 20, 2020, 04:15:37 AM
Pssh. Looking at the statistics, it's way less lethal than influenza. I don't understand the hype, to be honest. I'd actually hope that it was the corona virus.

Really? I thought millions have died from it already.

Dark Lightning

Dede

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 20, 2020, 09:11:21 PM
2120 as of today.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-19-20-intl-hnk/index.html

Yes, it would be very helpful and bring perspective if the current season's influenza deaths be posted side by side with the Corona virus mortalities.  It might even influence those who never get flu shots to be persuaded to do so, when they see the annual influenza deaths numbers.