News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Semantics — What does data science reveal about Clinton and Trump ?

Started by joeactor, October 06, 2016, 05:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Here's an interesting article about the semantics employed by Clinton and Trump:
https://medium.com/reputation-squad/semantics-what-does-data-science-reveal-about-clinton-and-trump-afdf427e833b#.xdpd7n1bd

QuoteOn the 21st of July, Donald Trump accepted the Republican Nomination for President of the US on the last day of the Republican National Convention (RNC) in Cleveland, Ohio. One week later, on the 28th, Hillary Clinton was accepting the Democratic Party's nomination for president in Philadelphia.
Supported by their family and hundreds of thousands of fans, they wrote a new page of the history of the United States delivering their acceptance speech. We've analysed their words to better understand the hidden components of their political communication. This study focuses on three main features : vocabulary, style and rhythm.

Davin

That's a good article. I've been thinking for a while that political speech has been getting dumbed down a lot lately.  And I felt that the Republicans have been dumbing down a bit faster then Democrats. But because this matches my previous bias, I'll need to be extra careful with my skepticism.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Yes, interesting article.

I'll have to get back into thinking semantically again, instead of looking merely for meaningful content and meaning itself.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

The last words of the article are the insightful ones; Trump has "destructively simplified the national discourse".  Does that stand as an indictment of the collective national mental acuity ? 

I am puzzled that so many perfectly intelligent individuals are so shamefully unaware when they are being conned. 

Recusant

A lot of those who voted for Trump likely didn't do so because they were conned. Republican party worker Joseph Britt believes they did so because all they cared about was getting a Republican into the White House.

QuoteThey knew Donald Trump was ignorant and dishonest, and it didn't matter to them. They knew he was a sex predator who fathered children by various women, and it didn't matter. Cheating on his taxes, cheating on his wives, consumer fraud, the bogus charity, the sponsorship of the Russian intelligence services, the anti-Semitic associates, cheating contractors who had done work for him, the picking on individuals before massive rallies, the insufferable racism, the continual running down of America—none of that mattered.

No, the only thing that mattered to Republicans of means once Trump was nominated by the Republican Party was that he had been nominated by the Republican Party. Loyalty to party took precedence over loyalty to American democracy, its mission, and traditions. What counted—all that counted—was that Trump had been chosen to lead Our Team.

What a pathetic thing is decadence. Millions of Republicans as comfortable and secure as any people who have ever lived, who owe everything to the historic miracle that is the United States, chose to go along with a presidential candidacy shot through with moral degeneracy and contempt for the public good. They had other choices in the primaries; they were warned by their own former leaders what Trump represented. They voted for him anyway, hoping to give their team a win in the game, the shallow entertainment that is all they think of politics.

I wouldn't discount the level of outright hatred for the Clintons (Hillary Clinton in particular), either. For decades people on the right have been listening to vitriol directed at her, and have bought into it. There were many who admitted Trump wasn't a good choice, but were certain that Clinton was much worse.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Recusant on November 29, 2016, 03:55:07 AM
A lot of those who voted for Trump likely didn't do so because they were conned. Republican party worker Joseph Britt believes they did so because all they cared about was getting a Republican into the White House.

QuoteThey knew Donald Trump was ignorant and dishonest, and it didn't matter to them. They knew he was a sex predator who fathered children by various women, and it didn't matter. Cheating on his taxes, cheating on his wives, consumer fraud, the bogus charity, the sponsorship of the Russian intelligence services, the anti-Semitic associates, cheating contractors who had done work for him, the picking on individuals before massive rallies, the insufferable racism, the continual running down of America—none of that mattered.

No, the only thing that mattered to Republicans of means once Trump was nominated by the Republican Party was that he had been nominated by the Republican Party. Loyalty to party took precedence over loyalty to American democracy, its mission, and traditions. What counted—all that counted—was that Trump had been chosen to lead Our Team.

What a pathetic thing is decadence. Millions of Republicans as comfortable and secure as any people who have ever lived, who owe everything to the historic miracle that is the United States, chose to go along with a presidential candidacy shot through with moral degeneracy and contempt for the public good. They had other choices in the primaries; they were warned by their own former leaders what Trump represented. They voted for him anyway, hoping to give their team a win in the game, the shallow entertainment that is all they think of politics.

I wouldn't discount the level of outright hatred for the Clintons (Hillary Clinton in particular), either. For decades people on the right have been listening to vitriol directed at her, and have bought into it. There were many who admitted Trump wasn't a good choice, but were certain that Clinton was much worse.

They may change their minds after watching a 70-something adolescent tweet for four years.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Quote from: Essie Mae on December 04, 2016, 12:36:11 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on November 29, 2016, 09:28:13 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 29, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
... a 70-something adolescent...
I like this description.  :smilenod:

So do I - scary though :sadshake:

I find the idea that there's a young and robust teenager trapped inside a 70-year-old body, well...hilarious.  :grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

I just read the comment thread on one of Trump's Facebook posts.

These are the dumbest fucking people on the planet. For real. For one thing, they all seem to be under the impression that posting on Facebook, Trump has made this so (this specifically was a post about a 35% tax on companies who use labor outside of the US). Secondly, they all seem to be under the impression that global trade means nothing and the US is perfectly capable of functioning as an isolated, self-sustaining entity. And finally, when anyone raised concern or asked for further definition of the proposed law (not even flaming, honest "incentivizing companies to stay in the US is important, but I am wondering how these laws will not be seen as tariffs?) is shouted down with "BUT JOBS!  WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA YOU PUSSY! JOBS!"

Nothing is going to get through to these people.

Icarus

I can not quite understand the widespread degree of dislike, unprovend accusations, and inflammatory denigration of Hillary.  How did all this happen?  I mean...."lock her up" ???   OK so she made a big boo- boo with the freakin' E mail.  Benghazi?  She was somehow responsible for the unpredictable acts of a small group of terrorists?  Aside from those main points of contention she has been able to cover her ass quite satisfactorily as far as I can tell.  Did she even need to cover her ass for  raising a lot of money for a said to be charity?.  I must be missing a lot of ugly detail because  I have no particular urge to "lock her up".

Icarus