News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by gwyn428, January 25, 2009, 09:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Excellence

The bit where he falls down...
Ohh no he's down
But he gets up again and it's even better
Maybe they borrowed/stole/homaged it from James Brown
Maybe James borrowed it from Jesus
Maybe Jesus borrowed it from a Greek or Egyptian G.
It's all a swirl, who the fuck do I credit if I do something similar?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Symphonic Dances from Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Harmonie

Armide: Overture - Jean-Baptiste Lully

Every time I hear this I can't help but get this silly imagery of King Louis XIV dancing to this, but I wouldn't be able to blame him because this piece is a real jam.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

hermes2015

I wish I had a time machine to visit those times to watch the Sub King perform to Lully's glorious music.

Sorry, meant Sun King!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I'm not very familiar with Lully's music, and that's an interesting piece!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 10:16:22 AM

If you like Handel, you will like Lully (he was a generation earlier than Handel, whose music he influenced).
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 20, 2019, 10:53:15 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 20, 2019, 10:16:22 AM

If you like Handel, you will like Lully (he was a generation earlier than Handel, whose music he influenced).

Haven' heard much of Handel's music either. Classical music isn't generally in my playlists. :redface:

Good stuff for reading though -- no distracting lyrics.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Billy Joel - The Downeaster 'Alexa'
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Esa-Pekka Salonen on the Rite of Spring.

― Charles Eames

Icarus

Bad Penny II

Icarus

ho knew that Pink Panther could be done so well with strings?  That tune is usually done with brass and percussion with a sax feature. Give it a listen 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on March 13, 2019, 01:05:49 AM
ho knew that Pink Panther could be done so well with strings?  That tune is usually done with brass and percussion with a sax feature. Give it a listen  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMM_EiyvDBk

I liked that. From behind the conductor looks like a young Simon Rattle.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

I got a compilation CD from the local library some years ago, it's this.

Eric B not the particular song, I think it's in there though.

Icarus

Here are some kids who can really get it on.  This one has better than average sound reproduction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzzsZAIR3YQ

Big band stuff that seems peculiarly unlikely for Japanese high schoolers.