News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Does anyone else talk to the door preachers?

Started by jumbojak, May 27, 2012, 06:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

We had some a few weeks ago.  My husband got to the door first.  He pretty much told them where they could put their bible before slamming the door in their faces. 
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

En_Route

Quote from: Velma on June 12, 2012, 06:45:12 PM
We had some a few weeks ago.  My husband got to the door first.  He pretty much told them where they could put their bible before slamming the door in their faces. 

I wonder why he felt so aggressive towards them?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Velma

They ignored the sign on the door advising preachers to stay away. 
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Velma on June 13, 2012, 12:55:33 AM

Yeah, that pretty much answers the description of "asking for it".
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Velma

Their particular delusion wasn't listed on the sign and they apparently didn't think they were soliciting, so they decided our house would be a perfect target for their proselytizing.  Boy, were they ever wrong.

Tank

Quote from: Velma on June 13, 2012, 03:42:45 AM
Their particular delusion wasn't listed on the sign and they apparently didn't think they were soliciting, so they decided our house would be a perfect target for their proselytizing.  Boy, were they ever wrong.
Next time video it and put it on YouTube  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Tank on June 13, 2012, 03:59:39 PM
Next time video it and put it on YouTube  ;D

Come out with a shotgun!
"Get off our property~"
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 15, 2012, 05:04:28 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 13, 2012, 03:59:39 PM
Their particular delusion wasn't listed on the sign and they apparently didn't think they were soliciting, so they decided our house would be a perfect target for their proselytizing.  Boy, were they ever wrong.
Next time video it and put it on YouTube  ;D

Come out with a shotgun!
"Get off our property~"

(I kid, I kid! But the sign makes me laugh. That, and the ones that say 'tresspassers will be violated!')

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

kitty

hahaha this thread has made me laugh out loud several times.

i wish they'd come when i had a moment to chat, but i only get little old lady jw and they always come when i'm in the middle of dinner/dealing with kids, etc. grrr. find it hard to be mean/horribly honest to old ladies, so i guess i'll have to wait for my time to come.

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 13, 2012, 03:38:01 AM
Quote from: Velma on June 13, 2012, 12:55:33 AM

Yeah, that pretty much answers the description of "asking for it".

haha still laughing at this.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

cncracer

The most I do is ask them to remove me from their list and not come back.  It has worked for the JW, and Mormons, but the Baptist come every weekend. I think I will have to call the neighborhood security and ask them to enforce the no soliciting clause in our homeowner's rules. 

fester30

Quote from: cncracer on June 29, 2012, 11:40:33 AM
The most I do is ask them to remove me from their list and not come back.  It has worked for the JW, and Mormons, but the Baptist come every weekend. I think I will have to call the neighborhood security and ask them to enforce the no soliciting clause in our homeowner's rules. 

Depends on the homeowners' society definition of solicitation.  In many cases, the intent is to prevent business solicitation, such as selling vacuum cleaners or encyclopedias.  They could say they aren't coming by to solicit, but just to visit with neighbors and have a chat.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: cncracer on June 29, 2012, 11:40:33 AM

That would annoy the fuck out of me.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Prometheus

Debate seems fairly pointless to me. I highly doubt anything either side says will have a significant impact on the other.

Those Joheva people came to my house about a month ago, i answered the door and said hi. They said "Sorry to bother you." and left. Not sure what happened really but i can't complain about the results :P
"There's a new, secret hazing process where each new member must track down and eliminate an old member before being granted full forum privileges.  10 posts is just a front.  Don't get too comfy, your day will come..."-PC

OldGit

Quote from: PrometheusI highly doubt anything either side says will have a significant impact on the other.

^ Absolutely right as far as religious conversion goes, but you can have some fun winding 'em up.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Prometheus on July 02, 2012, 09:06:24 AM
Debate seems fairly pointless to me. I highly doubt anything either side says will have a significant impact on the other.

Those Joheva people came to my house about a month ago, i answered the door and said hi. They said "Sorry to bother you." and left. Not sure what happened really but i can't complain about the results :P

Were you naked? :D