Main Menu

When to Make the Sign of the Cross?

Started by Magdalena, September 15, 2016, 06:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on September 17, 2016, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: Asmodean on September 17, 2016, 11:59:31 AM
Who was that comedian who did that "In the name of the father, the son and into the hole he goes" thing? I feel like re-watching that.

That was Dave Allen

Ah, yes. That's the one.  :)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

I think it depends somewhat on denomination, and I think it's somewhat contextual too. I work with someone who crosses herself for protection. For instance, during a discussion about Lyme disease, which is a pretty serious problem in this area. When she was pregnant she would cross her belly too.

Icarus

Crossing ones self appears to be a general purpose mini ritual.  It is not uncommon to see a field goal kicker (American football)  use the routine before his kick attempt. It is also seen with some regularity when a baseball batter takes his turn at the plate.  I have also seen Boxers and other athletes use the cross thing before participating. I take it that the person is either petitioning god for assistence or at least asking for divine permission to succeed independently..

Asmodean

Quote from: Icarus on September 18, 2016, 05:32:52 AM
...or at least asking for divine permission to succeed independently..
This, it disgusts The Asmo. :sadshake:
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Happy with no god

The first time a new work colleague was in the car with me driving he started making the cross. At first I thought it was my driving but then found he did it every time he saw a magpie. Now every time i see one I point it out to him "look a magpie" just amuses me.  ;D
I don't know why people are so keen to put the details of their private life in public(Facebook). They forget that invisibility is a superpower."

Magdalena

Quote from: Happy with no god on September 22, 2016, 12:46:08 PM
The first time a new work colleague was in the car with me driving he started making the cross. At first I thought it was my driving but then found he did it every time he saw a magpie. Now every time i see one I point it out to him "look a magpie" just amuses me.  ;D
A magpie--why?  :scratch:
Others do it when they pass by a cemetery, or when they see or hear an ambulance. I also read that the sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations...I hope kids don't use this as a birth control method.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

OldGit

Many English people feel they should greet a solitary Magpie politely, for fear of bad luck.  Two or more Magpies should be ignored.  Sometimes I do it just to keep up the old custom.  Many a time I've shot one without greeting it and then wondered if I ought to greet it afterwards.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Magdalena on September 22, 2016, 05:04:58 PM
Others do it when they pass by a cemetery, or when they see or hear an ambulance. I also read that the sign of the cross strengthens us in temptations...I hope kids don't use this as a birth control method.  :-\

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell
Seven for the devil, his own self.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 22, 2016, 07:08:08 PM
Quote from: OldGit on September 22, 2016, 05:34:35 PM
Many English people feel they should greet a solitary Magpie politely, for fear of bad luck.  Two or more Magpies should be ignored.  Sometimes I do it just to keep up the old custom.  Many a time I've shot one without greeting it and then wondered if I ought to greet it afterwards.

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

Poor little birds. What the hell did they do? :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on September 22, 2016, 07:25:14 PM

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

The magpie is always watching!
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on September 22, 2016, 07:54:55 PM

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

The magpie is always watching!

Oh, I see...just like The Asmo:couchhide:

Tank

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

They are inedible and therefore on no use.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

They're black birds, more or less.  People just don't seem to like black birds -- crows and ravens get a lot of flack too.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on September 22, 2016, 09:58:31 PM

Magpie poem:

One for sorrow,
Two for mirth
Three for a funeral,
Four for birth
Five for heaven
Six for hell

They are inedible and therefore on no use.
Can't you guys make pillows with their feathers, or something?  :-\