News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on March 15, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on March 15, 2018, 12:20:08 PM
Quote from: Tom62 on March 15, 2018, 05:30:33 AM
I'm seriously considering changing jobs again. Sure, I'm over 50, but what the heck. I haven't had a raise of salary for more than 13 years. A software company, that works for my wife's company, is looking for senior Java programmers and they are interested in me. I could earn 20,000 EUR more per year and will have a company car.
Whoa, that sounds like a great move! Do you think it's a long-term job? Would you enjoy it?
Don't stay with your current job purely out of loyalty. It seems like very few businesses are loyal to their employees, so it seems like Every Man For Himself out there.

It would be a long-term job. It should be fun to do some cloud based programming. Got to lean a lot of new stuff, but at least it is very interesting and challenging. My current job is great as well and I like my colleagues, but my salary isn't up to the market standard any more.

The added benefits would sway me if I were in your situation...is there anything else keeping you from going from "seriously considering" to "I've decided"?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

One of our local grocery store chains is shutting down and selling most of their stores. It happens and the chain is offering severance to all of their employees being laid off. But, they also stipulated that any employee who takes a job with another chain will lose the package.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on March 16, 2018, 12:24:14 AM
One of our local grocery store chains is shutting down and selling most of their stores. It happens and the chain is offering severance to all of their employees being laid off. But, they also stipulated that any employee who takes a job with another chain will lose the package.

That's some bs right there
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

It just doesn't make any sense. SuperValu is getting out of the retail business so it's not like former employees will be going to competitors.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on March 16, 2018, 12:24:14 AM

I have heard of companies that only pay severance if you work for them right up until their last day of operation.  Even that sounds petty but if you are going to continue your income without a break comoensation might be considered less critical to you. Possibly uour "esrly absence", if without notice, might strictly be considered breach of contrsct - and vlosing companies usually want to reduce expenditure.

But they are lucky to be offered a severance payment at all. Wonder if those working for Toys R Us will do so?

But it still sucks.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Guardian85

Just before I went to train with the Home Guard a while back I set a batch of what was supposed to turn into pilsner beer. Came back from the four days of training expecting the beer to be more than halfway done fermenting, but apparently it was too cold in the basement of the house for the yeast to get busy. I took it upstairs where it is warmer and it started to ferment, but very slowly. Was only ready to bottle today, which is twice as long as it should have taken.
But testing the beer showed an ABV of close to 12%!  :o If that is accurate I may have accidentally rediscovered barley wine. 
Very interested to sample this once it's done maturing.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on March 18, 2018, 04:00:51 PM
Just before I went to train with the Home Guard a while back I set a batch of what was supposed to turn into pilsner beer. Came back from the four days of training expecting the beer to be more than halfway done fermenting, but apparently it was too cold in the basement of the house for the yeast to get busy. I took it upstairs where it is warmer and it started to ferment, but very slowly. Was only ready to bottle today, which is twice as long as it should have taken.
But testing the beer showed an ABV of close to 12%!  :o If that is accurate I may have accidentally rediscovered barley wine. 
Very interested to sample this once it's done maturing.

Um, surely "barley wine" is an ale, traditionally only made without those foreign things called hops that a pilsner requires?

I miss the days of brown ale, sweetish, nutty, silky . . .
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Looking at some of the threads in the science section I think it's interesting just how much I've changed in six years. When I first came here I would've been knee deep in it, maybe waist deep, running with the argument. The same could be said of the politics section. Now, I just don't care! :D

I told someone last week that all I really want anymore is a small family, a small house, a small garage, and a big dog. They said my idea sounded just about perfect. I don't even want a TV. Keep the world at bay and be around the people I care about. Now, just gotta find those people... And pick out a house... Then build the garage... Maybe a stray dog will show up...

xSilverPhinx

^ A lot of life is just "noise", IMO and wanting a simple life is a worthy goal. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2018, 11:35:48 AM
^ A lot of life is just "noise", IMO and wanting a simple life is a worthy goal.

"Do few things but do them well, simple joys are holy."

St. Francis

Buddy

Welp, looks like my plan to buy a car in May just got fast tracked because my car broke down this morning, and I don't know if it's fixable. Now I have to make it through the week by somehow getting rides to my job 35 miles away. Good news is that I've already been approved for an auto loan so worst case scenario I just get my car early
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

jumbojak

Mini, right? Could indeed be an expensive fix. Or very cheap. Have you had anybody look at it yet?

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on March 20, 2018, 11:32:21 PM
Mini, right? Could indeed be an expensive fix. Or very cheap. Have you had anybody look at it yet?

Yeah, 2004 Cooper. My stepdad is taking it to a garage for me on Friday. The problem is that it's a CVT and they are notorious for blowing up spectacularly. I knew that when I bought the car which is why I was planning on trading it in May. I think it found out about my plans and just decided to crap out prematurely

jumbojak

Best of luck Bud. Get a manual next time, or at least a traditional automatic!

Buddy

Quote from: jumbojak on March 21, 2018, 01:56:06 AM
Best of luck Bud. Get a manual next time, or at least a traditional automatic!

Would love to get a manual, but my new job has me in a larger city and I do not want to be messing around with shifting in rush hour traffic.

This is the car I am looking at specifically. I side eyed the steptronic automatic for a while but after chatting with the folks in my MINI club and various forums I think I'll be okay. Definitely getting an extended warranty though.