News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Jumping back in...

Started by Velma, June 16, 2018, 06:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

For a time, I got tired of being online. I'd have a browser open, but paid it little attention beyond emails, book sales, and a quick scroll through facebook.

Life's been a bit stressful of late. My new doctor is worried about my liver. It it most probably related to my years of being on low-dose chemo for my autoimmune disease. I had a liver scan Friday and hope to hear the results Monday.

Larry, my husband, has been in and out of the hospital with a variety of symptoms. Various diagnoses have been put forward, but none really fit all that well. Now we have a potential diagnosis that fits all the symptoms - mesothelioma. We have an appointment next Friday to see his doctor. If that is what he has, prognosis is poor with only 40% of patients living past a year.

On the upside, my department at work has a new boss who seems committed to making our lives better. A lot of changes, but most of them seem to be in the right direction.

So, how's life been treating you?
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Arturo

Life's been up and down for me. Recently I cut off a lot of people (mostly who I know online) because they were toxic to my self esteem and identity. I picked a fight with one group because they made it a point to regularly debase and degrade my social standing with them and then tell me I liked it or that it was love and they eventually banned me. I was actually really proud of that moment because I stook up for who I am and not who they wanted me to be. I like to think back on that moment and think to myself about it and the moral I picked up from that was that I never needed them. I never needed anybody.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

My feelings go out to you, Velma.

Seems both of you face problems that make even my heart condition seem not so bad. There is a slow deterioration in my physical abilities, partly due to age anyway, but I have, luckily, been otherwise medically and emotionally resilient.

I can only offer you my thoughts and hopes. Take care of yourselves.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

So sorry to hear about all the problems, Velma.  My fingers are crossed for you and Larry.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Sorry to hear the news, Velma. I hope things turn out the best possible way for you and Larry.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bluenose

Velma, the things you have to deal with make my tribulations with kidney failure seem insignificant.  My only experience with mesothelioma was with the fine gentleman who was captain of HMAS Melbourne when I joined her in 1979.  He later was made Admiral and after he retired was made Governor of New South Wales.  Subsequently he was diagnosed with mesothelioma and was one of those unfortunate souls who did not last long after diagnosis, as you pointed out.  He was a great man, the disease is no respecter of how good a person may be.  I hope that Larry's diagnosis is something else, but I understand how frightening the prospect must be. We never know what's coming round the corner, I think we just need to make the most of what time we have, as they say, stop and smell the roses.   :love:
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 06:43:48 AM

So, how's life been treating you?

I sometimes  find myself wishing to start again, do better, get it right.
Ha, if regrets could invoke a religion there'd be one with reincarnation.

I hope your love doesn't have meso.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Velma

Thanks everyone. Right now we are making plans for the worst case scenario. Financially, I'll be okay. The rest of it, we will deal with as it comes.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Bluenose

Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 06:00:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Right now we are making plans for the worst case scenario. Financially, I'll be okay. The rest of it, we will deal with as it comes.

That cannot be a lot of fun.  Sending hugs your way!
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Velma

Quote from: Bluenose on June 17, 2018, 02:12:45 AM
Quote from: Velma on June 16, 2018, 06:00:57 PM

That cannot be a lot of fun.  Sending hugs your way!
No it is not fun. However, it is part of getting his affairs in order. He has decided he does not want his family to know until after his death. I'm still trying to decide what to tell mine, although, I doubt I'll tell them right away. I know my family. They will have good intentions, but once they get here, all they will do is try to interfere with the decisions Larry and I have made.

He doesn't want any sort of memorial service. I do not want all the stress of having to plan one. He's donating his body, so I will not even have to worry about that.

Even if it turns out that he doesn't have mesothelioma, it will be good to have discussed all this things again. He is 12 and a half years old than me. Odds are that I will be a widow eventually.

jumbojak

That's terrible news Velms but don't give up, even if the doctors think you should! A cousin of mine had a massive stroke last year caused largely by years of drug use. The doctors wanted to pull life support because of her past substance abuse and the poor chances of any sort of recovery.

The entire family wanted to do the same but her mom kept her on the machines as long as possible. She would've died had the doctors had their way but the extra time gave her body enough time to recover to the point that she could breath on her own.

The doctors then said she would be in a coma for the rest of her life. Two weeks later she opened her eyes. The doctors then said she would never speak. Within a week she was attempting to talk to people.

At this point the doctors should've thrown in the towel in their diagnoses but they said she would never walk. Thanks to the fine care given to her at a hospice in Richmond she is now walking with a cane.

Don't listen to the doctors if they tell you to give up. I don't think any doctors are as smart as most people give them credit for.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Velma

All the doctors can do is say is, "This is what you have and here is the typical life expectancy." Knowing him, if it is mesothelioma, he won't be typical. :) However, it is best to be prepared, like the old adage "Hope of the best, prepare for the worst."

Arturo

Well I hope whatever happens Velma he can get through this soon.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dragonia

Hi again Velma, my heart goes out to you and your husband. Not easy or fun circumstances to be facing. I'm glad you have each other for this season of life, and I wish you all the best.  :hug:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Velma

We got some excellent news! Larry does not have mesothelioma. He has asbestosis, a chronic lung disease caused by exposure to asbestos. There is no cure, only treatment and managing symptoms.

We don't blame the primary care doctor for scaring us. Mesothelioma and asbestosis look a lot alike in scan and x-rays. You really need an oncologist with some experience to tell the difference - and I'm sure the oncology department at the VA has a great deal of experience with mesothelioma (whose primary cause is asbestos exposure). So, his pulmonlogist will be handling treatment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asbestosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20354637