News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What evolution couldn't make ;)

Started by Tank, June 16, 2018, 06:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on June 16, 2018, 01:07:53 PM
I assume they re-designed the eye so that the retina is in front of all the wiring, unlike the vertebrate eye which has it all ass-backwards.
Yes. And the heart of a dog which has multiple redundant blood supplies. The throat so we can't choak. A modified chimp pelvis and lower spine to alleviate back problems etc   
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 11:57:37 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2018, 10:50:40 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 16, 2018, 10:37:16 AM
I don't think it counts as a perfect body without a prehensile tail, or at least fur.
Good points!

The tail might be useful, especially with opposible digits on the end!  But could the fur not be problematic in hot, humid and wet environments? Could build in the waterproofing/thermal insulating under thatch of some animals. The ability to lift the fur, a little for extra warmth or more for drying . . . Just so long as it stops growing at a given (shortish) length and we don't shed!

Pattern trimming, sculpting, bleaching and dyeing could become another $billion branch of the fashion industries  :grin:

I was thinking short, water-proof fur, like an otter.  And I want it because I don't want to have to do any more clothes shopping, but I suppose, given human nature, the impulse to fashion would quickly make fur a nuisance too. 

Still want that prehensile tail, which doesn't need to have a hand at the end of it -- it just needs to be strong and flexible enough to wrap around objects and pick them up.

I do think the people who made Alice 2.0 really should have stuck to mammalian improvements.  And while the pouch is very practical, shouldn't that have made the hips a good deal wider?  Doesn't really look like she has room to carry a growing baby in there.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 16, 2018, 08:12:06 PM
I don't think it counts as a perfect body without a prehensile tail, or at least fur.
Good points!

The tail might be useful, especially with opposible digits on the end!  But could the fur not be problematic in hot, humid and wet environments? Could build in the waterproofing/thermal insulating under thatch of some animals. The ability to lift the fur, a little for extra warmth or more for drying . . . Just so long as it stops growing at a given (shortish) length and we don't shed!

Pattern trimming, sculpting, bleaching and dyeing could become another $billion branch of the fashion industries  :grin:

I was thinking short, water-proof fur, like an otter.  And I want it because I don't want to have to do any more clothes shopping, but I suppose, given human nature, the impulse to fashion would quickly make fur a nuisance too. 

Still want that prehensile tail, which doesn't need to have a hand at the end of it -- it just needs to be strong and flexible enough to wrap around objects and pick them up.

I do think the people who made Alice 2.0 really should have stuck to mammalian improvements.  And while the pouch is very practical, shouldn't that have made the hips a good deal wider?  Doesn't really look like she has room to carry a growing baby in there.

If you want otter type waterproof fur that will be double layered and need regular oiling and cleaning (if genetic you would also have oil glands for that purpose!)

QuoteUnlike other marine mammals, sea otters do not have a thick layer of blubber and rely upon their water-resistant fur for insulation. The sea otter is covered in dense fur that consists of two layers. ... Sea otters have a specialized gland that secrets oil to enhance the water-repellent quality of the fur.
http://www.otterproject.org/about-sea-otters/biology-of-the-southern-sea-otter/

Example is one type of otter but, IIRC, it applies to all. Take longer than doing your make-up to fix!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 16, 2018, 08:12:06 PM
Good points!

But the hips don't need to be wide if all you have to do is give birth to something the size of a large jelly bean. The pelvis can be narrower and that supports the spine better. And marsupials are mammals they feed their young with milk.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 08:20:21 PM
Example is one type of otter but, IIRC, it applies to all. Take longer than doing your make-up to fix!

Everything in my life takes longer than make-up as I don't wear any.  And having to take care of oily fur still seems much less annoying than shopping.

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2018, 08:30:21 PM
But the hips don't need to be wide if all you have to do is give birth to something the size of a large jelly bean. The pelvis can be narrower and that supports the spine better. And marsupials are mammals they feed their young with milk.

It's the growing baby in the pouch that concerns me.  Given the size of the kid's head in Alice 2.0's pouch, there doesn't seem to be enough room in her lower body for the rest of the kid plus her organs and skeleton.  If she had fur, as I'm suggesting, the kid could just ride on her back or shoulders while holding onto it.

And before Dave brings up how oily that fur is, I believe otter pups cling to their mother's fur with no problem, even while gliding about in the water.
Sandy

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 16, 2018, 08:47:03 PM

Everything in my life takes longer than make-up as I don't wear any.  And having to take care of oily fur still seems much less annoying than shopping.

:lol:

Tank

It's the growing baby in the pouch that concerns me.  Given the size of the kid's head in Alice 2.0's pouch, there doesn't seem to be enough room in her lower body for the rest of the kid plus her organs and skeleton.  If she had fur, as I'm suggesting, the kid could just ride on her back or shoulders while holding onto it.

And before Dave brings up how oily that fur is, I believe otter pups cling to their mother's fur with no problem, even while gliding about in the water.

I think the lack of the baby's body comes because the head was a bit of an after thought. If you watch the whole program the lower abdomen was finished quite early on and didn't have a head popping out. I do agree that there should be a bigger bulge below the head.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2018, 10:14:19 PM

I think the lack of the baby's body comes because the head was a bit of an after thought. If you watch the whole program the lower abdomen was finished quite early on and didn't have a head popping out. I do agree that there should be a bigger bulge below the head.

Yeah, I can just picture the scene in the design studio, D-day minus three . . .

Marvin: "Hey, let's make her a marsupial."
Fred: "Great idea, but wtf didn't you think of that a couple of weeks ago! This is going to be one big bodge!"

I would like to think they had a good specification laid out before construction began, but it does look like a last minute bodge

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on June 16, 2018, 10:44:06 PM

Yeah, I can just picture the scene in the design studio, D-day minus three . . .

Fred: "Great idea, but wtf didn't you think of that a couple of weeks ago! This is going to be one big bodge!"

I would like to think they had a good specification laid out before construction began, but it does look like a last minute bodge

I don't know what a "bodge" is, but somehow I don't feel in need of translation.

I didn't even notice there was a full episode -- too distracted by the mistakes in the subtitles I think.  Full episode won't show outside England anyway. 
Sandy

Bluenose

Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 17, 2018, 12:59:22 AM

I don't know what a "bodge" is, but somehow I don't feel in need of translation.

I didn't even notice there was a full episode -- too distracted by the mistakes in the subtitles I think.  Full episode won't show outside England anyway.

A bodge is something done in a slap-dash, clumsy or inelegant fashion, it might work, but only just.  You know, he way evolution "designs" things. :)
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Quote from: Bluenose on June 17, 2018, 02:17:41 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on June 17, 2018, 12:59:22 AM

A bodge is something done in a slap-dash, clumsy or inelegant fashion, it might work, but only just.  You know, he way evolution "designs" things. :)

Yet a "bodger" was a skilled 16C to 18C wood worker who made basic components for furniture and spokes for wheels, in a sort of "mix and match" way, things often had to be "adjusted" to fit. Bodged. He used a rustic treadle lathe, draw knives etc that those keen on the mechanisation/repeatability that the Industrial Revolution offered disparaged.

Bodgers still exist as craftsmen.

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on June 17, 2018, 06:36:46 AM

Yet a "bodger" was a skilled 16C to 18C wood worker who made basic components for furniture and spokes for wheels, in a sort of "mix and match" way, things often had to be "adjusted" to fit. Bodged. He used a rustic treadle lathe, draw knives etc that those keen on the mechanisation/repeatability that the Industrial Revolution offered disparaged.

Bodgers still exist as craftsmen.

True that, it's interesting how words shift in meaning over the decades.  The word has lost its skilled component and nowadays a bodge, or especially a massive bodge as you put it is anything but a perfect solution.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dave

Last one on "bodge". As these things go, sometimes, ages later, something pops into my mind.

Maybe "bodge" used to mean  a "make-do fix" is a mispronounciation/misspelling of "botch"

botch
bɒtʃ/
informal
verb
carry out (a task) badly or carelessly.
bungle, do badly, do clumsily, make a mess of, mismanage, mishandle, mangle, fumble;

I have certainly used and seen/heard used both for similar purposes.

Bluenose

In Australian English bodge and botch mean the same thing.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodgies_and_widgies
QuoteBodgies and widgies refer to a youth subculture that existed in Australia and New Zealand in the 1950s, similar to the rocker culture in the UK or Greaser culture in the United States. Most bodgies rode motorbikes but some had cars, many of which were hotted-up e.g. mag wheels, hot dog muffler, etc.

The males were called bodgies and the females were called widgies. Bodgies were often depicted in Australian media and folk-lore as louts. On 1 February 1951 the Sydney Morning Herald wrote on its front page:

"What with "bodgies" growing their hair long and getting around in satin shirts, and "wedgies" cutting their hair short and wearing jeans, confusion seems to be arising about the sex of some Australian adolescents."
Take my advice, don't listen to me.